Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Recently traded our diesel 2019 Sportage GT-Line in for the petrol 2020 ProCeed GT-Line. And so far I’m very happy with it. I love the looks of the shooting brake and the interior seems less plastic than the sportage. But the one thing that is driving me mad is the Headlights. High&low beam.
it’s got Super bright LED lights all around. But has normal h7 bulbs for headlights. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don’t know why anyone would let it leave the factory like that. The colour difference between the bulbs drives me crazy. Anyway….Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket LED bulbs that don’t bring up error codes?? Got some from eBay but they bring up headlight warning on the dashboard.
If anyone has any ideas or a link to the ones they use It would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,483 Posts
Please don't install LEDs in a fitting designed for filament lamps. The beam pattern will be incorrect and you will dazzle oncoming traffic.

The car will also fail a future MOT
(Edit: early morning typos)

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Only legal way is if a Pro-Ceed has a version with LED headlights. You then need to swop the whole headlight unit. But remember this swap would not be covered under warranty if they went wrong/stopped working.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket LED bulbs
Welcome to the forum, 'Happy_as_Arry'.

Ditto post #2. It's too late for you but anyone buying a car now and wishing to have top-class headlamps should have that feature high up on their pre-purchase check-list.

A few years ago, Xenons were all the rage and very good they are! However, many manufacturers opted to implement LEDs for vehicle lighting for a variety of reasons though preferring to fit LED headlamps in the more expensive models in each range.

I'm afraid that you are stuck with Halogen candles unless there is provision within the Vehicle Lighting Regulations to replace the lamp assemblies with LED-equipped units.

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
511 Posts
Unfortunately you have discovered the hard way, the poor Kia halogen headlights. I have nothing against halogen as I've had several cars that have been perfectly fine, but the headlights in my 2018 Cee'd were terrible, bordering on dangerous in my opinion. This is why when I bought the Sportage I decided it had to have Xenon or LED headlights.

·
Registered
CEED 2019 First Edition DCT
15 Posts
Oops lol,
I am forunate enough to have a ceed first edition which does have led lights and they are brilliant, when I had a Auris they where halogen, I swapped them for Osram Nightbreaker halogen which are excellent and while not very cheap they are good and road legal, I think the new ones offer something like 200% more light onto the road, whiter and longer.

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
511 Posts
Why not edit the previous post? :)

I have used nightbreakers and other uprated bulbs in previous cars and they have made a big difference, but in the Cee'd they didn't seem to help much.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
107 Posts
I've a 2019 Proceed, (Irish) 1.4 GT Line and it has Hi/Low factory LED headlights as standard.
But then they let it down by putting these terrible yellow tinged/off white halogen lamps in the fogs.
Wouldn't be too bad if the fogs were actually yellow.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Proceed CD GT Line 1.4 T GDI
107 Posts
Yes, but even in fog I've never found the front ones to be any use.
They're not really of much use, probably why the GTs didn't have them fitted...If they had better quality of bulb, or were LED then maybe they'd be of more use.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,483 Posts
Isn’t it actually stated that yellow light is better for fog than white?
I have heard that - but it does not help much as the fogs have to be on along with the dipped beam (to be legal) so their purpose of illuminating 'under' the mist while not causing a high level of reflected light is lost. I don't get that part of the lighting regulations at all.

Many years ago I had a Triumph Herald on which I had installed low level fog lights with their own switch. One day in the hills of Derbyshire a pea-souper came down. It was only those lights, on their own, that allowed me to creep along the road almost cats eye to cats eye. With the dipped beam on there was just a wall of white.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
371 Posts
If it’s any consolation I have full LED lights on my Volvo, including fogs. And they are utterly useless in heavy fog! Good in every other circumstance.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,483 Posts
If it’s any consolation I have full LED lights on my Volvo, including fogs. And they are utterly useless in heavy fog! Good in every other circumstance.
Naughty boy 🤣only legal to have fogs on in fog 🙉🙊🙈

·
Registered
Xceed 1.0 T-GDI 3 black 2021
14 Posts
I’ll second that for Volvo led lights which I had on my v40 T2 r my18
They were brilliant even in fog, no fog’s fitted or needed
Luckily our Xceed 3 has leds all round, couldn’t go back to anything else
Works transit 22 plate still has halogen and are crap in comparison

1 - 18 of 18 Posts