Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've noticed that over the last few weeks, since the nights have got colder, I'm having increasing trouble starting my diesel soul echo in the morning! It does always start but I'm having to turn the key/crank the engine over for much longer than I've ever had to before. Before I go off to the dealer I would just like to ask please if anyone on here has experienced anything similar or has any suggestions asto what I might try myself?

Many thanks

Paul.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Hoggydo!,

I'm also having the same issue with my Tempest - as you say more noticeable in the last few weeks as the weather has turned cold - I must say that once it has started in the morning I don't have the problem the rest of the day!

And most importantly it does start - but interesting that you have a similar problem.

I've not owned a diesel before and just thought it was a characteristic of them!

I'd really like to know if you resolve this! Thanks for posting, it'll be interesting to hear if their are others!

I must also say that I have no idea what oil it has in it as I bought it September this year.

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Soul girl,
Mine's exactlythe same, once its got over the initial problem in the morning it's absolutely fine for the rest of the day and then the issuere occurs the following morning. I'm going to give the dealer a call next week if it persists and I'll be sure to post my/their findings on here! As for the engine oil.........It's the stuff that was in the car when I bought it new in June of this year........but it's hardly used any oil at all whenever I check it!

Best wishes

Paul.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not using oil is a good thing. Especially nowadays as if it burns oil, there's a greater chance of it clogging the DPF. In a diesel you can't just pull the ignition key right round. You have to turn on the ignition wait a second then turn it on. Allowing the heater plugs time to work. They are a lot better nowadays then they used to be. Get in the habit of turning on the ignition, then putting your seatbelt on, then starting the engine. Should be fine after that. But if you stil get the problem, turn the car Compleatly off, put the ignition back on (4 second wait) and start the engine. This is a temporary fix to get you by though. A new set of heater plugs should sort it although unless your cars fairly new they could be classed as a consumable part. Give your battery a good charge to make sure that's not the problem first before handing any £££ over. Another problem could be cheap fuel sitting over night and the water content causing a "damp spark" if you understand what I mean. This will cause the heater plugs to burn out in no time as there effectively boiling damp fuel and water away. This is more prominent in winter as the diesel is colder ambient and much more prone to condensationEdited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
536 Posts
Alot of the problem is the additive of bio-diesel to regular diesel. It's mixed at 4.75% I think. But it acts like a sponge for moisture and dosent have such a good flash ignition even when heated. With it being slightly lighter that regulars diesel it tends to sit and condensate. Personally I think it's maybe one of the reasons the Sedona was having problems with flaking paint inside of the tank. Bio-diesel is corrosive to PVC, rubber and nylon seals and bushes....what's to say its not doing the same to the tanks. Anyway that's off subject... Fingers crossed you get sorted but if not I'll try post the diagrams for heater plug removal and exchange just incase you want to give it ago, although its always recomended to get Kia to do the fix....they take liability if it doesn't sort the problem then

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thought it was my imagination, but I am noticing the same thing. Never had this with my Seat....always started on first crank. I also noticed it was reluctant to start when fully warmed the other day which spooked me a bit. Will have to monitor.

Am not doing anything different, & always wait for glow plug light to go out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its a seat 2ltr 140bhp diesel its more likely electrical related if it's not starting once warm. Had it a lot with my passat which uses the same engine. I think Davy has a seat Ibiza. Might be worth asking him if he's come across the same problem.

The more I think about it if everything's tip top with the cars it might just be winter diesel. With colder weather expected this year maybe producers have changed the formulation and the cars are just having a hard time? it's a puzzle but unless there's a direct problem with the heater plugs fitted to Kia engines, it could be a possiablity.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am using Shell diesel at the moment and believe me it is cold where I live nowas it's only 400 yards from the sea,the humidity is usually high and the wind is raw and cold. Touch wood I have not had a problem with starting and I have 27k on the soul now since March 2010. I have had diesels before and I had a Citroen that never started very well from new, it did not matter what they did to it the thing never got any better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I've heard about this diesel provider/manufacturer debate before! I have to confess I fill up at a local supermarket, could this be the cause of the problem in anyone's opinion?!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We had a discussion on here about the merit or not of supermarket diesel ,I use Shell because we have only three fuel stations and the Shell one is the closest ,they do not compete on price and charge the maximum they can which is 141.9 at the moment.I don't think there is anything to choose between all fuels , what you need is a fuel station that moves a lot so you don't get old fuel with possible water in it.Winter grade should be on sale at this time and this can effect starting I believe but not to any significant level.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would urge anyone to stay away from supermarket fuel but that probably has very little to do with the starting problem. As suggested above, leave the ignition on a bit longer than when the glow plug light going off. They continue to operate for some time after the engine has started (36 seconds) to clean up emmissions so leaving them will allow a little more warming time. If you need to test them it is easy. Remove the bus bar and check for a circuit between the centre contact and earth then the resistance which should be 0.25 ohms at around 20C.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not Just The Soul
Have a Cee'd (09/47K) crdi, and having the same issue. Have owned diesels for 15 years now, and this one is the most reluctant to start in the cold, even after double heating. Could be a compression ratio issue, perhaps? Not sure of the c/r for this engine, might do some research in this area...
Agree with not using supermarket fuel, as I think a bout of that 'killed' my ol fabia tdi (140k, RIP)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Most of the diesel starting problems arise when the weather does get colder. Its the same every year no matter what make of car. If your battery is not in tip top conditionyou will experience difficult starting with diesel vehicles. The colder it gets the harder it is for the starter to crank the engine at the required speed. As already saidan oil change with good quality oilwill make a difference, and heed advice already given re glow plugs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Brilliant advice everybody - I think the waiting a bit longer after glow lights have gone out does make a difference, seemed to start a little quicker yesterday after seeing lights go out and then put on seat belt and started Little Miss Tempest! - she was much happier to start - I'll monitor this over the week and report back!This is the first diesel I've had so I'm possibly being a little impatient!!
Cheers all
Hazel
x

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Heres a comparison with CR engines and PD ones on initial start in my opinion.
When I had my Rio diesel it did churn over a bit before starting but I think thats to do with having to pressurize the fuel rail whereas the diesel engine in my Leon is a PD engine which not a common railtype starts instantly when cold. As soon as you turn the key after the glowplug light goes out it starts immediately.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.