Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 818 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I wanted to find out if anyone is having problems with the Kia Venga 1.4 Ecodynamics?

I have only had this car for about 4 weeks but since then it hasn't been driving well. The garage have told me there is nothing wrong with it but when trying to accelerate there is no power almost like something is blocked. After about 5 seconds or so the power kicks in. I have now been told not to put my diesel in at Tesco, Sainsbury's or Esso!!! I must say this does improve the drive of this car but what will happen if all petrol stations get their fuel from the same refinery!! I would be interested to see if anyone else is having this problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ive been running diesels now for 20 years and have read on numerous occasions the big difference in mpg with regard to certain suppliers and their fuels, yes there is a difference and yes you can tell when you put the supermarket stuff in your tank one one car i had it was at least 5 miles per gallon less if i used the supermarkets fuel but to be running like you say is perplexing its like an egxaggerated turbo lag modern diesels are now designed to be more like a petrol engine as regards power delivery, they used to be the old bungee cord ....nothing then all the power at once now its a smoother delivery stick with good quality fuel and see if it improves mate!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you look at the Carens forum you will pos find the same problem. I have this on going problem for over a year now.
My latest update from my dealer is (when they did the 20,000 mile service) they went through the system (after I refered them to the Kia owners club forum),was to run it for 250 miles and see how it was then,this I am in the process of doing

Cheers

carens08

·
Registered
662 Posts
diesel is graded at the refinery into three classes branded fuel, supermarket / trade fuel and agricultural/ machinery. branded fuels have a higher octane rating and have additives added according to the brand concerned these additives include cleaning agents anti waxing formulas trade/supermarket fuels are base fuels they have anti waxing additive but thats it agricultural / machinery fuel are base fuels for oil burning heaters diggers dumpers generators if tax free then a red dye is added to signal no tax has been paid on this fuel

ref Eco venga these cars are massively over geared to achieve high mpg on a run at60 Mphthis causes the car to feel very sluggish and will use more fuel around town also you have to remember that these are a very small diesel engine and don't have masses of power to start with the tip around town is to be gentle on the throttle do not allow the car to struggle you may have to drive in 3rd or 4th for 30mph if you are in too high a gear the turbo will not supply enough pressure to make the engine efficient

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for that but can the type of fuel used give such a turbo lag? I have now tried Tesco, sainsburys, esso,texaco and total diesel. What should i try now!! I did contact my local Kia garage and was told that they have had another 4 customers in this week with the same problem. Hopefully something can be sorted because this is driving me crackers!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi i also have a 1.4 diesel venga 2 with the sameissue you are experiencing, it's intermitent and the power loss happens between 1500-2500rpm.

The engine also can become very clack, clack, clacky within those revs like a 3cylinder. its like you've taken your footoff the accelerator and have the brakes on if u know what i mean.

my dealer has had my car for 2 weeks and cant find any faults or replicate the problem so i'm stuck with a car thats not fit for purpose.

can u let me know if if u have had any results or your dealers name and location so i can speak to them

phil71

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have run tests with diesel on various trucks and cars ranging from Range Rover tdv8 vogue through to a pug 106 diesel
let me first say that these areMY results only and make of them what you wish

leyland daf xf artic 44 ton truck with a 430 bhp engine

when run on BP derv it would get 9 mpg

when run on esso it would return 9 mpg

when run on morrisons (local forecourt with high canopy) it would return 7.5-8 mpg

scania artic 420 44 ton truck

bp===== 11 mpg

shell===== 11 mpg

esso=====11 mpg

morrisons==== 9 mpg

toyota hilux surf 3.0 turbo

bp/esso/shell all around the 24 mpg mark

bp high octane diesel 24 mpg but felt like more power

morrisons around the 20mpg mark

asda around 21mpg at best

range rover vogue tdv8

bp high octane around 20 mpg

bp normal 20 but kangarooing at junctions

morrisons (only 1 tank due to poor performance) around 17 mpg and severe kangarooing at junctions and whilst driving at 70 would cut out

now this is not a scientific experiment just me playing about over the last 2 years

this makes interesting reading

http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello soul2

my vengas powerloss is intermitant as described in my previous post ,so i can't see how poor fuel could effect it, surely it would play up constantly.
it's gota be a fautly component or loose conection or maybe really poor mapping by kia. the hyundai i20 uses the same engine so i need to chase up that thought.

thanks

phil71

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi

Sorry for long delay in response. I have nearly driven my car for 4000 miles and was told that by giving time to let the engine bed in might solve the problem( not as yet!).I have found that if you accelerate through the gears well and dont change gear until you get to at least 3000 revs it drives much better with no lag (almost). Have you got anything sorted?

My service garage is Slated Barn in Bognor Regis. The guys down there are really helpful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
gee whizz if you have to rag it to 3ooo rpm in the gears you wont be getting very good mpg at all as this kind of driving takes you right out of the economy zone , im convinced a remap might be the way forward to assure you that you are getting the best you can get economy wise, the rough running is fuel related and is most certainly due to the way the fuel is metered out electronically ,surely getting it on a dyno would show up the problems in a controlled environment with the diagnostics hooked up ..sorted no problem !if you cant get a fix at the dealer i would ask for an independant diagnosis for your own peace of mind.you have a right to a car that will be trouble free and if it was mine i would be making a few waves by now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing that put me off the Venga was the poor engine choice. Most of the reviews knock the diesel engine, so I would not have gone for that option anyway. The Souls uses a 1.6 diesel in virtually the same power-train, just a different body style.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Viking Paul said:
diesel is graded at the refinery into three classes branded fuel, supermarket / trade fuel and agricultural/ machinery. branded fuels have a higher octane rating

With diesel it is graded by CETANE number, not octane number. Thelast thing you want in a diesel engine is a fuel with a high octane number!

Petrol is designed with a high octane number, which means that it will not explode under compression, otherwise you will get pre-ignition and engine knock.

Diesel is designed so that it willexplode under pressure, since it is for compression ignition engines. Hence the difference in fuel type designation.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The Kia handbook states that you must use fuel to theBS or En standard relevant to either Petrol or Diesel.

All fuel sold on UK forecourts meets these standards regardless of them being supermarkets or branded pumps. Different brands have different chemicals added that acording to the oil company perform miracles and make their brand into the saviour of the planet and give an extra million miles per tank.

Even if the branded fuel were appreciably better than supermarket fuel the fact that you are running it on fuel that meets Kia requirements means that surely there issomething wrong with the car if it will not perform correctly on that fuel (regardless of brand).

Fit for purpose springs to mind.

Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
<DIV id=tts_ =" ">
< id=tts_flash code="http://download.macromedia.../pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" id=:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 width=18 height=18>< NAME="_cx" VALUE="476">< NAME="_cy" VALUE="476">< NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="http://...gstatic.../translate/_p2.swf">< NAME="" VALUE="http://...gstatic.../translate/_p2.swf">< NAME="WMode" VALUE="Transparent">< NAME="Play" VALUE="0">< NAME="Loop" VALUE="-1">< NAME="Quality" VALUE="High">< NAME="SAlign" VALUE="">< NAME="Menu" VALUE="-1">< NAME="" VALUE="">< NAME="AllowAccess" VALUE="always">< NAME="Scale" VALUE="ShowAll">< NAME="DeviceFont" VALUE="0">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="0">< NAME="" VALUE="">< NAME="SWRemote" VALUE="">< NAME="Movie" VALUE="">< NAME="SeamlessTabbing" VALUE="1">< NAME="Pro" VALUE="0">< NAME="ProAddress" VALUE="">< NAME="Pro" VALUE="0">< NAME="AllowNetworking" VALUE="all">< NAME="AllowFullScreen" VALUE="false">
Hello
This summer we drove down to Spain with our ecodiesel venga coming home without any problems, the car went smoothly.
The next morning I noticed that the car is not accelerating, I tryed to accelerate but with no luck at all, after a while it started to pull again, but the problem came and went,I gott theair flow meter replaced att the dealer, it felt like it went better but has now realized that the problem is still there becauseI drove the kids to school today and the car drove really good as a completely different car, buton my way home again the power dropped andit felt likelike a car without a turbo. Dont know what to do !!????

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I´m the owner of a Venga 1,4 Crdi, produced i december 2009. Early produced (pre-serial?). Bought the car in may 2010. Brand new. From the very first miles I noticed there was something wrong with the car. Phoned the Kia-dealerwhen I got home from delivery of the car. They said it was because the car was new. However the problem is still going on after 15000 km. It vill sometimes not respond when I try to accelerate. The dealer can not fix it and I could not get a new because they didn´t know what was the problem. The problem seems to be when it is warm outside, but can be even when it is cold. Live in Sweden where we often have cold weather. If I shut down the engine and start again it often works proberly. Now Kia will give me a new car. I wait for it. The deliver is in a few days. But it was a long way for KIA motorsto accept this. I tried to sell my car on a internetmarketplace for new and used cars. I advertised it with the lowest price and wrote it was defect and described the problem. Also wrote that the dealer could not fix the problem. After some time KIA phoned me and after round two weeks it was ok with a new Venga.

·
Registered
4 Posts
kia couldn't fix my venga either , after months of stress and a rejection letter kia offered me a new car. in september 2010 we took delivery of a ceed 2,1.6 crdi (113) which is brilliant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have had the 1.4 Venga 2 eco for 10 months, the lag in throttle response I would judge to be a "mapping" problem, having been involved in the early days of electronic engine management with the MOD it points to a combination of a situation of the system not being able to produce the economy required with reasonable throttle response. Better mapping should be able to improvethis poor performance whilst still acheiving what is not a very good overall economy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi all,

My Venga has suddenly developed the "throttle lag syndrome" after 3000 miles and it is intermittent. It goes in on Friday for diagnosis. Is there anyone out there who has got this problem fixed by Kia? If so, any info you can give as to the cause would be helpful. Thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
battytrebor said:
Hi all,

My Venga has suddenly developed the "throttle lag syndrome" after 3000 miles and it is intermittent. It goes in on Friday for diagnosis. Is there anyone out there who has got this problem fixed by Kia? If so, any info you can give as to the cause would be helpful. Thanks.

Bob

Sorry, I dont have the solution for you. But I have the same problem with my Kia Venga 1,4 CRDi - Ecodynamic (bought on february 2011 - 4000 km) as you.
I am from Slovenia. Kia allready tested it, but they didnt find anything suspicious;-(((
I am currently waiting for next test result.
The problem is that the car sometimes drives just fine and sometimes not.
They recomended driving the car on 3000 rpm, which didnt solve the problem.

I really dont now what to do?!

Some advice from those who got new cars?

Thanks

Ines

1 - 20 of 818 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.