Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a problem that seems to have developed with my keyless entry system and wondered if anyone has had the same problem and can offer any help.
My car will not open using the remote control though it will open using the key. When i turn on the ignition both indicators illuminate and stay illuminated. If i press the lock or unlock button twice the indicators go off and generally stay off however on occasions whilst driving they have all illuminated again and i have had to press the lock/unlock button on the remote to get them to go off. It has been suggested that my system has lost the key programming but i have reset the keys a number of times but the problem persists. Can anyone help me please?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thank you for the reply thunderbird. Im afraid i have to disagree with you on this one, I am an electrical engineer and with years of experience fault finding I feel that I can say that modern auto electrics are far from a dark art though many a dealer would like you to think so! My experience is that most problems occur time and time again and once diagnosed the same soloution can be applied. From posts on this forum and others it would seem that the problem is connected with the vehicle ETACS system and many posters have linked the problem to water getting into contact with the vehicle electrics. What i was hoping for was some kind person who has had the same problem and managed to trace the origin of the fault to post with their experience and save me reinventing the wheel. My own suspicions are that the problem could either be with the electrical contacts on the door locks or the antenea that receives the signal from the remote fob. I am sure some forum member has indeed had this problem and one way or the other managed to get it sorted.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I quite agree with Davis Sims. I did trace a fault on the Hyundai Traget, similar system to the Sedona.But, there were other problems involved i.e. sidelights not working. What I found was water ingress in the receiver which had corroded a corner of the printed circuit on the circuit board. Quite a bit of soldering afterwards the sidelights and the remote central locking works fine, still working 8 months on.
Have not had a problem with a Kia though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
May be a daft suggestion but my keyless entry on my renault used to play up when the battery on the entry card was on its way out .

Gaz.

·
Registered
662 Posts
David Sims said:
Thank you for the reply thunderbird. Im afraid i have to disagree with you on this one, I am an electrical engineer and with years of experience fault finding I feel that I can say that modern auto electrics are far from a dark art though many a dealer would like you to think so!

CRACK ON THEN and perhaps you would like to let us all know what you find

personaly i would plug it into our very expensive Kia diagnostic laptop and look at the inputs and outputs but feel free to use the "years of experience fault finding" method

or you could just change the battery in the key fob, check the door switches, disconnect the battery and allow the system to power down fully and then retry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need to shout Paul. If i thought that the problem could be solved with a quick visit to my local dealer i would be there in a flash. Thing is the problem is intermittent and unless the error code has been recorded by the ECU (which it has not) then it may well take numerous attempts to try and track down the problem and this would be an expensive option and one that i was trying to avoid.
By the way I dont think its the laptop thats so expensive its the dealer diagnostic software package that tends to be overpriced after all it only talks to the ECU and thats not rocket science. As you will know the KIA is also fitted with an onbord diagnostic socket (OBD) this was supposed to let owners access the ECU to retrieve error codes and read live operational and emmissions data but some manufacturers (Kia included) have restricted user access to this data. My purpose in posting on the forum was to try to benifit from other forum users experience and hopefully help others who may have this problem in the future. If in the meantime i manage to find the fault, I will of course post my soloution on the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right as promised i will post the soloution to my particular problem. Hopefully this will save other users time trouble and expense. Turns out that Kia know about the problem and sent an update to all their service centers to inform them in 2009. It seems that on a small number cars water can get into the connectors situated under the coolant reservoir. One of these connectors carries the signals to the ETACS unit (this unit controls alrm, indicator, central locking etc) the water shorts out the pins and hey presto remote keyless entry does not work and indicators remain on all the time. Five minutes after seperating the connector and drying it out with a hairdryer and problem is fixed.
In some cases the remotes will have lost their code and will need reprogramming ( a five minute job listed on this site) If anyone needs any help on this one please PM me.
And to the dealer that offered the helpful advice "carry on" and then proceeded to list everything i suggested but the ETACS unit i suggested THANK YOU. By carrying on i have learned far more about my vehicle and saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a similar problem with my Kia Sorento 2008. No lights on the doors and key knob, the clock doesn't work and I can't open the doors using the remote. The memory fuse is not blown but the Etacs module is not working. The air conditioning is returning to the default settings every time I start the car. Please tell me more about the connectors bellow the coolant reservoir you mentioned in your post. How can I find them on my car. Thank you! (please excuse my english, I am not a native english speaker)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.