Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

i have a Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel 2012. I recently had a service on my car. I picked the car up from the mechanic on Friday and drove it home around 30 miles, no problems, popped to Tesco’s the next day and the car struggled to start then on the way home cut out about 2-3 times, no noise or warning lights just cut out. Drove to work the next day and on the way got a horrible rattlen in the engine, pulled over and stopped immediately. Recovered to a garage to be told the timing chain and jumped two teeth ( same mechanic who serviced it) replaced the timing chain with the kit after a long wait on parts due to COVID, started the engine up drove fine for a couple of miles then a rattle from the top of the engine. Apparently it’s starved of oil and have been told engine is knackered and need a new one. Any help on the matter would me much appreciated ie cause,problem or fix thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jack

all the filters and oil were done on the service, I belive it was 6L on the service and after timing chain. The mechanic after the timing chain was first to drive it

·
Registered
915 Posts
perhaps the mechanic was a friend or relative?
just looking at the oil vol. table from kia, 6 liter is more than the specified 5.3.
too much oil can contribute to a difficult start.

I don't know this vehicle, but difficult start, cutting out, and rattling can be signs of oil starvation prior to the timing chain jumping 2 teeth. Looking back in hindsight one can perhaps say that the original problem should have been investigated further before driving to work the next day and deciding on just the timing chain replacement before driving the car again. Maybe the long wait on parts removed focus from the original symptoms.
I would guess with oil starvation the chain could have been exposed to more tension, they don't usually jump teeth like a toothed rubber belt would.

If you originally requested from the "garage" that the fault be diagnosed and rectified then you could consider asking the garage to at least deliver your car back without a knackered engine at no extra cost. Hindsight shows that they really shouldn't have driven it before performing more checks and measurements.

Did the garage tell you at your first visit that the problem would be fully cured with the new timing chain kit?

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
Sounds a lo/t like the chain slipping has resulted in parts meeting that should not. Piston/valves.

As it would seem odd that timing chain slipping would effect oil flow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mechanic is a guy who does all of our work vechicles,
I was advised that it was possibly an air lock and work it’s way through, which was fine again for the 30 mile trip back to work then the rattling.
When he recovered the car and inspected it he said it was the timing chain, he is now saying nothing more can be done and need a new engine, not claiming any responsibity.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
You take a car which is running OK for a service. All problems start since then. Looks as though all caused by filters. Fuel filter not bled after fitting one problem. Oil filter either not correct filter or not installed correctly causing lubrication starvation other problem hence rattle. I think you will stay miles away from this guy in future

1 - 7 of 7 Posts