Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...Had my 17 plate 1.7 deisel sportage from new and always been serviced at main dealer but recently seems to struggle starting on a cold morning. I have had battery tested and that's fine have been to dealer who didn't show alot of interest just that its a deisel but didn't have problem the time I have had the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree with @Crickleymal, if it runs fine once started and when it is warm, then glow plugs would be my guess as well. I am a bit surprised the garage wouldn't consider that.
Thanks for advice...I will be taking it back to dealers Monday morning when I was there early this morning just one on duty technician as they call themselves came out to car started it but of course it was now warm and said diesels will always turn over a couple of times before starting but I have had car over 5 years so now it well enough I am just a bit surprised glow plugs would be worn out car only has 25k on clock

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Thanks for advice...I will be taking it back to dealers Monday morning when I was there early this morning just one on duty technician as they call themselves came out to car started it but of course it was now warm and said diesels will always turn over a couple of times before starting but I have had car over 5 years so now it well enough I am just a bit surprised glow plugs would be worn out car only has 25k on clock
How long does it crank before starting when cold and hot. When you say cold do you mean freezing or a bit chilly.

·
Registered
803 Posts
As above - Glow Plugs/Glow Plug control system or perhaps air ingress into Fuel Filter as another possible scenario.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of short journeys with frequent starts? That would possibly cause glow plug failure
Yes must admit do alot short journeys in the week and then down to Heathrow and return on most weekend (200 miles)...I am assuming glow plugs will come under warranty or is this another wear and tear issue....thanks for going to replying to earlier post...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How long does it crank before starting when cold and hot. When you say cold do you mean freezing or a bit chilly.
Hi Captain America
What I mean about freezing its cold enough around here to have frost on windscreen most mornings then when I start car it starts but very sluggish and very lumpy then picks up and is running fine through the day but if left for a few hours in the day will turn over alot more than in the past before it starts.Hope this gives a clearer picture and will post response from dealer Monday morning just hope it is a warranty job as money is getting tight as I am sure most of us appreciate

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Captain America
What I mean about freezing its cold enough around here to have frost on windscreen most mornings then when I start car it starts but very sluggish and very lumpy then picks up and is running fine through the day but if left for a few hours in the day will turn over alot more than in the past before it starts.Hope this gives a clearer picture and will post response from dealer Monday morning just hope it is a warranty job as money is getting tight as I am sure most of us appreciate
I am surprised that glowplug failure would cause much of a starting issue on a modern direct injection diesel. They are activated very fleetingly and only really prevent lumpy idle and smoke when first started from stone cold. They would all have to fail. And it's a very low mileage for this to happen. So there is a possibility that the control unit is faulty. Glowplugs and the circuit can be tested quite simply in situ without a code reader. If the garage can't work it out with a multimeter then they are very poor.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I am surprised that glowplug failure would cause much of a starting issue on a modern direct injection diesel. They are activated very fleetingly and only really prevent lumpy idle and smoke when first started from stone cold.
The glow plugs do not operate fleetingly.
The glow plug light will go out very quickly but the glow plugs remain 'on' during and after start for some time after the engine starts and in really cold weather will continue to operate even whilst driving to assist the engine to run smoothly and cleanly during warm up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This morning was another with frost on the screen pressed start button and after a few seconds engine is turning over a couple 9f time but to me very sluggish then when it did fire up very lumpy for a few seconds then seems to settle can't say I have noticed any smoke extra exhaust smoke

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
had a similar from on our diesel tucson. got worse and worse as each year went by.
traded it in . let someone else have the problem lol
Hi...I have been very happy with car over last 5 years and seems abit over the top to sell car due to I hope a starting problem a main dealer should be able to rectify easily my main concern it is a warranty problem

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Do you turn the ignition to the position before starting and wait for the yellow glow plug light to go out before moving on to the actual cranking position? This allows the glow plug to do its job on very cold days. On older vehicles, I would often allow the glow plug to warm twice or three times in severe weather to save long cranking. (Don't do more than that or you could overheat the plug and it may cause damage)

·
Registered
215 Posts
The glow plugs do not operate fleetingly.
The glow plug light will go out very quickly but the glow plugs remain 'on' during and after start for some time after the engine starts and in really cold weather will continue to operate even whilst driving to assist the engine to run smoothly and cleanly during warm up.
That still doesn't explain the sluggish starting it must be all glowplugs failed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This morning was another with frost on the screen pressed start button and after a few seconds engine is turning over a couple 9f time but to me very sluggish then when it did fire up very lumpy for a few seconds then seems to settle can't say I have noticed any smoke extra exhaust smoke
When you say sluggish do you mean it cranks slowly before firing or sluggish after starting.

·
Registered
803 Posts
That still doesn't explain the sluggish starting it must be all glowplugs failed.
Correct - I was just replying to your previous statement Captain ;).
The glow plug light going out merely means that the engine is ready to start - it does not mean that the glow plug control circuit has switched off.
As has been previously posted by others - it is easy to individually test the glow plugs for resistance in situ (usually approx 1.0 - 1.2 Ohms) and even easier to test for power from the glow plug control circuit - no need for any fancy test gear or guesswork.
Diesels do need a very good battery for a successful start on a cold morning - it takes a lot of elec energy to spin the engine over whilst the glow plugs are 'on'.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry didn't make it clear it's sluggish turning over everything if fine once started.The battery was tested and no problem
I'm sure the battery is OK. Sluggish starting like this can be caused by a poor connection from the battery to earth point on gearbox. Mileage doesn't affect it as much as age. Or starter solenoid or connection to it. Try connecting a jump lead from battery negative to a bright metal part of the engine block and see if it changes anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts