Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am the owner of a 2007 Sorento Auto diesel XS for the last 3 years.For all of that time I have had problems towing my caravan. I can only visit sites via flat roads, once I encounter hills the engine overheats and lacks power. I have tried many ways to have this sorted, the main dealer I bought it off has examined the car on two occasions and have said there is nothing wrong with the car. Diagnostic tests show no faults and I have only this last week replaced the engine fan in the hope that was the problem. This morning I took the caravan up a steep gradient and it overheated immediately. The strange thing is, as soon as I stop in a lay bye etc it cools down almost immediately. The only thing I have now considered is perhaps the water pump is defective when the engine is under load. Can anyone help me out who may have had a similar problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I towed with Sorento auto for 10 years,around 50,000 actually towing with no problem.So i suggest check the following.You say you have replaced the viscous fan.When engine cold this will turn by hand.When hot the coupling should be engaged and if you try to turn it with engine stopped you should have resistance to turn it. If its OK take hoses off top and bottom of radiator and pressure clean it out,. If still a problem replace the thermostat.Last resort change water pump.
Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way Birdman, I have replaced the small fan at the front but not the very large fan close to the engine. Is this the viscous fan?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
The small electric fan at the front is for the air conditioning. The viscous fan that cools the engine is the large one behind the radiator in front of engine driven by the Serpentine beltEdited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
87 Posts
also check the radiator is hot all over when up to running temp , it maybe have some blocked pathways and hence not cooling the engine effectively

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
the large fan in front of the engine is the viscous fan, it has a tiny coil right in the middle which senses the temp coming through the rad, if it is hot enough it turns and opens up a port inside which makes the fan cut in. the pin in the middle that the coil turns has a habit of seizing, you can tell when the fan cuts in because it really gets noisy, just like when you first start up from cold if you give the engine a good rev you will hear the fan drawing and it will quickly go quiet. if the car has been serviced in a hard water area and the anti freeze has been replaced the rad will be blocked internally, difficult to tell. I removed the top off one and got a cup full of lime sludge out of it. it will be one of the two, rad or fan not cutting in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My viscous fan coupling seems to have seized altogether. The engine is very noisy from the off, and stays noisy in low gears. However, once up to cruising speed it gets a little quieter, until I put my foot down that is, at which point it gets very noisy again. I'm going to replace the fan and see if that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update on viscous fan.

I replaced the fan with a used one from Ebay (£17) and now all is quiet. The engine warms up a little quicker than it did as well, but still stops getting hotter just under the H on the engine temp gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts