Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yes I had one on my Rio 1.5CRDI and what a difference and it wasn't turned up much from base position. Well worth the £99.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Hmmm, be great to hear how the Ceed fairs with one fitted, please keep informed should you choose to fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
davy said:
Yes I had one on my Rio 1.5CRDI and what a difference and it wasn't turned up much from base position. Well worth the £99.

So they are adjustable then, how is it done? Do you need to "Map" it?

Is it a case of - Turn it up, more mpg/bhp & more risk of *BANG*?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Small screw behind a rubber plug on the end of unit. Turn it anti clockwise more ooomph turn it clockwise less oomph more mpg so they say. I had mine turned one turn anti and it was great in power and the mpg never changed but never adjusted it after that as I was well pleased with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just recently bought a Pro Ceed Sport and couldn't work out why my mpg was saying 55mpg but the range/tank was not reflecing this. Anyway, discovered a Pro Bitz tuning box under the bonnet!
The car flies but mpg could be being affected, I've read it could cause false trip computer readings. I'm going to turn it down a bit tomorrow, see how it goes

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That's the one thing they are very good at, nearly every one that fits ones is hugely impressed until they realise that the numbers on the dash are nothing like reality. They don't normally make your consumption worse but as for making it better, think you have justdiscoveredthe truth about that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeh, I'm thinking the previous owner had it turned to higher power less mpg. According to the Pro bitz site, the box boosts the torque to 360nm! Don't get me wrong, the extra power is nice but I'd rather lose a bit and gain mpg
I'll give it half a turn clockwise and see what happens. Edited by: bedlamitejester

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a £300 tuning box fitted to my new C'eed 16. diesel and fuel economy is improved and matches the read out fine, plus better torque, smoother engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and was looking for some advice on the ProBitz tuning box.

I've recently bought a Cee'd 1.6 CRDI 3 - Great motor!

Ideally i'd like it to run a little smoother - no flat spots and gain some mpg, currently low 50's.
I've seen ad's for the ProBitz tuning box and i'd like to know a little about it.

Does it actually improve the running / mpg?

Will it effect any Kia warrenties?

Are they easy enough to fit?

Are they value for money? (£99)

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

Kenny

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, well in my experience, not a ProBitz but another make, cost me about £280.

Much much smoother, more torque.

MPG depends on how, where?? Long run at 75mph I get over 60, average at the mo about 57 and thats a mix.

Warranty wise, no, you can unplug before the car goes in and the car reverts to normal.

£99, I'd be dubious, as I say mine was £280 and has given me no issues and is adjustable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply coupeman.

Ideally i'd like to keep the cost of a box below the £200 if possible.

Drivingwould mainly be motorway although a combined of 57 would be good (i used to get that with company car - golf)

Good to know about the warrenty. Do you fit / remove yourself - i take it it would be simple enough?

What make of box have you experience with?

I'll be googl'ing the makes etc, but it's good to get a review 1st hand so i have a starting point.

Kenny

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Kenny,

Cant remember the make I have. Simply plug in device that sits between ECU and High Pressure Rail, just make sure you never do it when engine or ignition on!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Its a well documented fact on this and many forums that Tuning Boxes do not improve mpg. They fool the dash display and owner into thinking they do but in the real world they make no difference.

An engine needs air and fuel to provide power. To maintain 70 mph on the motorway the amount of fuel need to produce that power is the same with or without Tuning Box.

They can/do produce more power but ask yourself how often do you need more power, if its that often you have bought the wrong car to begin with.

They can leave fault codes on the ECU since they work by increasing fuel pressure, delaers know all about these codes even when the box has been removed.

A £300 box would take about 30,000 to recoup your money if they produced the 5% saving some companies claim. Most are very vague and use words that make you think they will improve mpg but in truth the words mean nothing since they are written very carefully.

At the end of the day if you want better mpg buy a smaller car, if you want better performance buy a faster car. Don't waste your money on these gimmicks which is all they are.

If your car is Euro 5 with a DPF don't even risk it, at over £1000 for a new DPF and with ample evidence of the damage caused (see BMW forum) you will be well out of pocket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sport Wagon said:
Its a well documented fact on this and many forums that Tuning Boxes do not improve mpg. They fool the dash display and owner into thinking they do but in the real world they make no difference.

An engine needs air and fuel to provide power. To maintain 70 mph on the motorway the amount of fuel need to produce that power is the same with or without Tuning Box.

They can/do produce more power but ask yourself how often do you need more power, if its that often you have bought the wrong car to begin with.

They can leave fault codes on the ECU since they work by increasing fuel pressure, delaers know all about these codes even when the box has been removed.

A £300 box would take about 30,000 to recoup your money if they produced the 5% saving some companies claim. Most are very vague and use words that make you think they will improve mpg but in truth the words mean nothing since they are written very carefully.

At the end of the day if you want better mpg buy a smaller car, if you want better performance buy a faster car. Don't waste your money on these gimmicks which is all they are.

If your car is Euro 5 with a DPF don't even risk it, at over £1000 for a new DPF and with ample evidence of the damage caused (see BMW forum) you will be well out of pocket.

I tend to aggree with that. I have been modding cars and bikes for the past 30 years and would never ever use this type of device, it's like a placebo. I have seen to many people end up crying as things have gone tits up. By all means if you have a mapable ECU, then get it remapped or use a stand alone ECU to control the vehicle's mapping (may include a new trigger wheel for the map), but that is going to the xtreme LOL. I remember years ago driving down the road in a highly modified Primera with a the tuning guy sat in the passenger seat with his lap top mapping the stand alone ECU LOL. Even getting the ECU re-chipped would be a better route than one of them box things LOL, but so many cars ECU's are now locked and are un mappable.

By all means if you want to get one of these little box's then go ahead, it's your money and this is just my opinion., but you could probably look on the RS components web site and make your own for a tenner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well all I can say is my mpg is up, how a box that controls fuel pressure can change the dash readout is beyond me, I will get 670 miles out of my current tank as opposed to 540 usually, nothing else has changed.

They do not fool the dash, they can't, they have no relation to the dash, next you'll be telling me that the actual miles i have travelled are a lie too.

Modern engines are made with a range of parameters, all these boxes do is alter these parameters. You think remaps are bad? no they're not, even manufacturers approve certain remaps, engines can cope with a lot of extra power or a lot less. I've used tuning boxes on several cars and never had an issue.

And as for BMW, well driving through a puddle can wreck one of those bits of overpriced German junk!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
coupeman said:
Well all I can say is my mpg is up, how a box that controls fuel pressure can change the dash readout is beyond me, I will get 670 miles out of my current tank as opposed to 540 usually, nothing else has changed.

They do not fool the dash, they can't, they have no relation to the dash, next you'll be telling me that the actual miles i have travelled are a lie too.

Modern engines are made with a range of parameters, all these boxes do is alter these parameters. You think remaps are bad? no they're not, even manufacturers approve certain remaps, engines can cope with a lot of extra power or a lot less. I've used tuning boxes on several cars and never had an issue.

And as for BMW, well driving through a puddle can wreck one of those bits of overpriced German junk!!

Cant argue with the BMW sentance LOL.

·
Registered
757 Posts
coupeman said:
You're not performing a blind test so your behaviour could be changing. How many tankfuls before and after have you recorded? And how do you record them?

Where do you suppose the dash gets the fuel usage information from? A tuning box works by tricking the ECU and a tricked ECU sends the wrong message to the dash.

Edited by: Ace Demon

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where do you suppose the dash gets the fuel usage information from? A tuning box works by tricking the ECU and a tricked ECU sends the wrong message to the dash.

[/QUOTE]

Ace is wright.I have one for the past 2-3months and i have been carefully calculating my MPG for the past year and it hasent changed a thing other than giving me a faulse 10MPG extra on the display.
however i cant fault the extra power.this is the one i use.have had no problems

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Chiptuning-chip-tuning-for-all-car-THE-ITALIAN-BOX-/230944755600?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c5614f90#ht_7137wt_1122

1 - 20 of 27 Posts