Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So are Premium Fuels worth the extra price? Do they result in a cleaner engine? Does it matter? This is good reading. I read the Advertising Standards postings every week on all subjects. If anyone doubts advertising claims they can challenge the advert. The claim is then investigated. A decision by the A.S must be abided to as they can prosecute. I don't doubt that there are thousand of motorists who have done over 150,000 miles on Supermarket fuel without a problem. By choice I use Shell unleaded, and once in a while I use their Shell V Power, but each to his own.

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/bp-oil-uk-ltd-G16-1014902.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
Interesting link thanks for that. I personally use BP diesel and maybe every other tank or third tank use ultimate.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Complaint not upheld but at least the ASA had a good look at it. My nearest 'Premium fuel' is a BP garage which is 14 miles away in Grantham. My nearest supermarket is Sleaford Tesco's which is 6 miles away and I'm there twice a week so it's a no brainer that I buy Tesco fuel. Once in a while I treat the car to a tank of Tesco Ultimate but that's it. I notice no difference at all in either mpg or performance but the added detergent in the Ultimate may be doing some good, I really don't know. My Fabia has done 90k+ since new and has always had Tesco fuel where possible (as I like trading the clubcard points in for Pizza Express vouchers :grin:).

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
By choice I use Shell unleaded, and once in a while I use their Shell V Power, but each to his own.
That seems like a reasonable regime to ensure the fuel system is maintained in fine fettle and I followed a similar regime with diesel fuel for years before changing over to 'Miller's' diesel additive which I have stuck with for several years.

For those who are Costco customers and live near to one of their sites with a fuel station, the only diesel they sell is the super-duper stuff that usually costs 10p per litre (or more!) over the regular stuff. Currently, at Stevenage, they charge £120.7 per litre which really is a bargain compared to most providers in that area.

I commented elsewhere recently that I really noticed a big difference using the Costco fuel and I described it as like the difference between the normal drive mode in my Optima and the Sport mode but without the increased noise element of higher revs due to holding on to a lower gear compared to the normal mode.

As I still have half a bottle of Miller's, I still dose that into the tank at fill-up time so perhaps that, in addition to the 'single-malt' version of diesel, is helping with the more responsive throttle? I can't really comment on the fuel consumption at this point as it will take some time before I can make an informed comparison to the average usage figures I have accumulated over the near-35 months I have been driving this car.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That seems like a reasonable regime to ensure the fuel system is maintained in fine fettle and I followed a similar regime with diesel fuel for years before changing over to 'Miller's' diesel additive which I have stuck with for several years.

For those who are Costco customers and live near to one of their sites with a fuel station, the only diesel they sell is the super-duper stuff that usually costs 10p per litre (or more!) over the regular stuff. Currently, at Stevenage, they charge £120.7 per litre which really is a bargain compared to most providers in that area.

I commented elsewhere recently that I really noticed a big difference using the Costco fuel and I described it as like the difference between the normal drive mode in my Optima and the Sport mode but without the increased noise element of higher revs due to holding on to a lower gear compared to the normal mode.

As I still have half a bottle of Miller's, I still dose that into the tank at fill-up time so perhaps that, in addition to the 'single-malt' version of diesel, is helping with the more responsive throttle? I can't really comment on the fuel consumption at this point as it will take some time before I can make an informed comparison to the average usage figures I have accumulated over the near-35 months I have been driving this car.
I might give my car a treat with the Costco "single malt". Just wondering what the Millers "mixer" is. I tend to use Redex from time to time which has worked for me over many years with cheap ASDA diesel and the occasional Shell V-Power treat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Who keeps a vehicle long enough for the reality of different fuels to be noticed? I do keep cars long time as I believe buying and selling just profits dealers. I have always used supermarket fuel and have had cars up to 175,000 miles with no fuel related problems, sure a cracked head on a VW ( diesel van) at 107,000 but others were getting them at 88K. I just rely on the fact that fuels are to a BS and that is adequate. I keep vehicles 15 years usually and apart from VW camper , under engined by a long way, I have never had longevity issues on supermarket fuel.Oil changes per the book .
Perhaps a bit like the Tesco Finest range versus the cheap and nasty. It is a British Class 'thing' at heart.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Just wondering what the Millers "mixer" is.
This is the product I have used since the turn of the century, 'Tommo21'. There are always 'nay sayers' who condemn such products as 'snake oil' but such is the way of things in the world of motoring. I don't readily subscribe to additives but I trust my own judgement and that of the chemists who formulate these mixtures of the liquids with which we fuel our cars.

Supermarket fuel is fine for most cars but in the cars I have owned over the last 25 years, Miller's EcoMax has improved the drive, probably down to the improved detergent agents having an effect longer-term but a couple of points extra on the cetane scale seems to provide a better throttle response. I have found it more noticeable on this Optima than on my previous car. A bottle of the stuff goes a long way so it works out a lot cheaper than premium diesel.

The good news is that it isn't compulsory to pay for it. Anyone happy with their car as it is needn't do anything at all!

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/diesel-power-ecomax/185

·
Registered
374 Posts
Who keeps a vehicle long enough for the reality of different fuels to be noticed? I do keep cars long time as I believe buying and selling just profits dealers. I have always used supermarket fuel and have had cars up to 175,000 miles with no fuel related problems, sure a cracked head on a VW ( diesel van) at 107,000 but others were getting them at 88K. I just rely on the fact that fuels are to a BS and that is adequate. I keep vehicles 15 years usually and apart from VW camper , under engined by a long way, I have never had longevity issues on supermarket fuel.Oil changes per the book .
Perhaps a bit like the Tesco Finest range versus the cheap and nasty. It is a British Class 'thing' at heart.
Totally agree.

Most miles I have done in one car was 113,000 in just over 7 years which included a good bit of towing. Last saw car with 200,000 miles on it and it was 26 years old then and still running fine according to the owner. Obviously its diet of Ada did it no harm.

Started using supermarket fuels in the mid 80's and since then only buy "branded" fuels when I have no option.

Never had a single issue in those 35 or so years.

As for getting better mileage or better performance I have never detected any difference. As an example 2 weeks ago I filled up at Asda @ £1.217 per litre and drove over 600 miles on a tank full, averaged about 54 mpg. Next tank full was BP @ £1.329 per litre and again drove about 600 miles which calculated out at about 53 mpg.

Will keep using the supermarket stuff as long as they sell it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been using Tesco Momentum 99 in my cars for years with no issues what so ever, now with my Pro'ceed GT its the first turbo petrol I've owned it goes very well on this fuel and averages around 30mpg which isn't too bad considering it just gets driven around five miles per trip too and from work.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think it’s a bit like the kings new clothes..................I usually go for the cheapest 95 Oct petrol and haven’t Occasionally used 99 Oct since owning a Subaru Impreza but as I was going on a longish trip recently thought I’d give it a go and splash out on some Tesco 99 Oct............and after 400 miles didn’t notice ANY difference in performance or mpg,if there was any other benefits (apart from more duty in the governments coffers) I can’t tell. But as the car has DSG I do feel this might numb the sensation compared to driving with a manual box,so having done my little test it’s back to the cheapest nourishment supermarket 95 Oct for me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have a Niro and for the last two fill ups thought like you I would use 97 RON fuel purhased from my local BP garage, Two full tanks and 900 miles later I can't say I noticed any difference in performace or mpg apart from the money in my pocket so its back to ASDA for the cheaper 95 RON petrol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The only car I have used Tesco99 in was our VW Polo 1.4 16v - it used to 'pink' quite badly on 95 jungle juice (in warm weather).
Our 'other car' is a 1.6 Vitara - it normally just gets Tesco 95 when we go shopping.
The sportage gets Tesco diesel unless we are out and about :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think if you are on a Kia PCP, or otherwise change your car at three years old from new, there's probably no benefit running on premium fuels. If you run older and for longer to higher mileages, it's arguably of more benefit. I fall into this later category and have run my previous (naturally aspirated) car and my current (turbocharged) car almost exclusively on Shell VPower. As others have said, in neither has there been a discernible difference in power or mpg but both ran distinctly better and picked-up better in higher gears. One way to look at it is that a tank of Vpower costs about £5.00 extra over a tank of 95RON, which is about the same as bottle of decent fuel additive. Either way, that's likely nothing compared to the hidden cost of depreciation in the time it takes to drain that tankful.

·
Registered
742 Posts
So are Premium Fuels worth the extra price?
A useful link to put away.

So these wonder fuels only work if your engine has certain deposits. If it has, it will take more than one tankful and then it won't be a big enough change to notice without using scientific methods. As expected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts