Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking forward to picking up my Sportage (1.7 Diesel) this Friday, and I'm wondering if it's worth filling it up with the premium diesel you see at the likes of shell, or if that's really just an unnecessary added expense?

I plan on keeping the car at least the 7 yrs the warranty covers and so want to make sure I really look after the engine etc. and is sounds like the premium fuel keeps the engine cleaner and more efficient, but is it worth the extra 10p or so per litre?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Lots of arguments both ways for this one on the net ...

Me ? The only times I can remember (10 years +) using standard / budget fuels is in hire cars / vans. My cars have been on optimax, v power and now v power diesel

WD

·
Registered
107 Posts
And the moral of the story is?
In 47 years (20+ on diesel) non of my cars has ever had any premium fuel put in it.(although I did go through a short (pointless IMO)phase of using additives.

Draw your own conclusions.

Fuel's expensive enough already!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dont bother, waste of money in a diesel.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was once in a rush and started filling up with premium. I got about £4 in and realised my mistake..I nearly fell over in such a panic both hot and cold at the same time. So no it's not worth it.

Price of diesel is already a joke without paying more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My gut feeling was that the extra cost would be hard to justify. Thanks v much for your replies

WD, you must have deep pockets!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have 3 local filling stations i pass all of them regularly so keep and eye on prices, they are tesco, morrisons and shell, I findmy FEruns fine on morrisons and shell i use thisif its same price as morrisons and find no difference in running or mpg but with tesco it seems noisier and a bit rougher running.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only thing I would say is watch where you buy your fuel. Morrissons has a history of putting out a poorer quality fuel even though it meets 95RON standards, a few years ago many motorists became a victim of it, myself in my RX8 so I switched to Shell and BP thereafter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I'm certainly going to be wary of Morrisons and Tesco, after what you say and the fuel contamination problems I've read about here. I primarily use Shell so think I'll stick to them once I've got the sportage.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We put whatever is cheapest or most convenient in our cars. It doesn't seem to worry them where it comes from.

·
Registered
980 Posts
sportage12 said:
WD, you must have deep pockets!

Or dont do a lot of mileage ...

I know there are a lot of influencing factors but my 'real life' mpg seems better than a lot of the figures I have seen quoted on the net forthe 2.0 AWD.

WD

·
Registered
564 Posts
Surely if supermarket fuel was crap they wouldn't be allowed to sell it if it wasn't suitable for all the cars on the road. Do Kia tell you what petrol/diesel to put in your car? Most people buy the cheapest they can find don't they? I've used mainly Asda fuel since I got my First Edition in September 2010 without any problems.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When I had my first Honda Civic 1.8 Vtec I changed to Shell V Power and noticeda difference to power and economy but when fuel went up during a price hike I changed back and the engine sounded rough and not as responsive. When I changed to a new Civic I initially used standard fuel but thought I would try V Power. This time didn't notice any difference to standard fuel, same model car with same engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You could try to break down diesel quality, cetane rating etc but at todays prices diesel is diesel and i buy where its cheapest and handiest. The sportage isnt fussy where it drinks as long as it gets plenty lol

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Don't bother, I have.run 4 tankfuls of premium diesel in mine just to see if it made a difference - no difference at all.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Been off line for a while and have now returned to work in the UK for good.So no more cheap fuel

I ran a little test on premium vs supermarket.

With a decibel meter next to the block with the engine at
normal running temperature & the ambient temperature the same for both
tests:

Premium = 97 decibels

Sainsbury = 99 decibels

Someone on this forum did say that the engine ran smoother on premium.

As for MPG, there is nothing in it.

Edited by: ianv

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just use the cheapest, usually our nearest asda and the car appears to run okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to put Tesco diesel in my Kia Sportage 1.7CRDI until I was sold contaminated fuel back in Feb causing a huge amount of distress (car cutting out in fast lane motorway, then waiting 2hrs in -10 degrees for recovery). Not pleasant and wasn't impressed either. Tesco admitted liability and said they hadn't put enough additives in for the cold weather. The only add it when forecast necessary, in order to save money. They paid for repairs etc. thankfully.

So now I don't go near the stuff and started putting in Shell V-Power. I have noticed a big change in the running of the car and my mpg has increased dramatically. On average it costs me 5% more than standard fuel to fill up and I get 8% more mpg. So its not only better but more economical. Don't just see the cost as you fill up. I have done this over a dozen or so tanks now and found it to be consistent. I'm surprised other have said there have seen no difference in mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also worth noting - Shell Vpower is much better than BP Ultimate in my opinion. I didn't see much mpg change in the latter.

·
Registered
487 Posts
No comment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts