Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought my 61 plate kx2 2lt petrol nov 2011 pre registered i was told at the time the car would be pre reg which didn't bother me as was told would show me as 2nd owner ,but i contacted the dealer this week regarding the v5 which i have not yet received only to be told they will be keeping the document for 6 months as this was a pre reg car.so i am not the registerd owner,how do i stand insurance wise? and what can i do about this? thanks in advance for your replies,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Contact your insurance co immediately and tell them. I looked into getting a pre-reg sportage because of the saving over new. However I was put off veryquickly by the many horror stories I found on line aboutinsurance, low payouts and dealers taking finance against V5's

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I think your insurance could refuse to pay out any claim you made as you are not the registered owner.The dealer should send V5 to DVLA upon the sale to you. Ask dealer to do this or you will otherwise return the vehicle to them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ring the dvla and ask them where you stand, i think even if it is pre reg you are at the end of the day the owner of the car so you should have the v5 in your possension

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Is the registration your local area and is dealers name on number plate.IF number starts with an L and number plate has KIA UK on it , it is wellpossiblethe motor belongs to KIA.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-: initial; -: none; ">I think there is a bit of panic here

As long as you told your insurer that the car was not registered in your name then there is no problem at all. You have not misrepresented any material facts at all and are fully insured.

If you didn't tell them, then tell them immediately.

Remember the registered keeper is not necessarily the the owner of the car. If you paid for it and you have a receipt to prove it, you are the owner of the car whatever the V5 says.

Mrs T bought a pre-reg Sportage last October and simply told her insurance company that she wasn't the registered keeper when she first insured it. They had no problems with it at all and commented that it was actually quite common. Buying pre-reg saved about £1700. Well worth the few pounds extra it cost in insurance.

She recently received the V5 with correct date of acquisition (two days after registration) on it.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Tim22325 said:
I think there is a which report on this, can't remember what it said exactly but it did advise against this.

This is what Which say...

""¢ The term ""˜pre-reg' or ""˜pre-registered' refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner in the V5 registration document.
""¢ Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you that they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are numerous legal implications and as such they should be avoided.<br style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; text-align: left; ">""¢ With regards to all of the above, always make sure you know exactly what you're buying before you put your money down in order to ensure you are making an informed choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sounds very dodgy to me -- i bought a pre reg seat years a go but got the V5 straight away -- i was looking into pre reg on a sportage but have my doubts now or is this common practise these days ?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We did it and had no problems. The savings were significant, well over £3000 in total.

However, it pays to do your homework. We discounted any broker that required payment in advance for the car. We only paid after we had inspected the car and got the keys.

The whole deal went through very smoothly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with Techno mine was pre reg did same as him saved pounds had no problem.
my brother purchased an aygo pre reg and was told log book would be sent on, 6 weeks later no v5 contacted dealer they said it was sent of, he then contacted dvla it was still showing as registered to the dealer they told him to put it in writing and send it to them he did 7 days later he got his v5.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Nez,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Sorry
to hear you're experiencing problems with your dealer. Assuming that you purchased from a Kia Franchise,
then please give us a call at Customer Service and we will be happy to try and
help you.

Kia Customer Service

0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk

Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk

Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday: 8:30am - 6pm

Thursday: 9:30am - 6pm

Friday: 8:30am - 6pm

Saturday: 9am - 1pm

Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Nez,

I'm just going through the same process as yourself. I informed the current insurer of the problem and they were adamant that they would not provide cover unless I could confirm that my wife was the registered keeper which of course I couldn't. Anyway, after my immediate panic had calmed I went on the 'Go Compare' web-site filled in 'other' in the drop down menu for registered keeper and was bombarded by 50+ quotes with the first 10 or so actually cheaper than our existing insurance - so problem solved.

The stupid thing about all of this is that :

1. Selecting my wife as 'registered keeper' had absolutely no effect on the premium.

2. Even though the existing insurer was adamant they wouldn't provide cover - guess what, they appeared in the list of quotes !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DVLA have said to fill-in form v62 and they will provide v5 in 4-6 weeks, £25 fee.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
v5 arrived today,thanks to every one who replied to my post.andAbbey at kcs for her help to resolve this problem.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Holding on to the V5 is a loophole that dealers use. maybe a little on the naughty side, but thats thier problem not yours.
As a purchaser, you are doing nothing wrong, its the dealer who's committing the naughty.

When you pay for the vehicle, ensure you recieve a reciept, which proves that you are the legal owner.

Then inform the insurance company, that it's pre - registered, and that you don't yet have the V5.

Im saving 3k on list for mine.

I can live without the V5 for a few months.

Incidentally the V5 states "This is not proof of ownership"

Back in the days when I had company vehicles, I never saw a V5. I could well imagine that the lease company kept hold of this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i purchased a pre reg almost £3k cheaper i wastold when buying they would hold onto log book for 3 months log book arrived Friday as promised and dated the day I purchased it, insurance no problem.
as with everything dont always work for everybody

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hopefully, I get mine on Saturday.
I called the insurance yesterday to switch cars. Upon taking the details, they asked,

"are you the legal owner" - Yes

"are you the registered keeper" - Not for the first 3 months.

I had no problems what so ever.

Even got £85 back, due to the Sportage being a lower group.

Result.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts