1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We found a sportage to buy, 2005 auto.
2.7 petrol.

We had an inspection done because we arent able to go see the car ourselves.
We paid DEKRA to do an inspection and they found the following problems.

1. There is a problem with the gearbox / engine. When in fourth gear, and you put foot down to accelerate, the car drops to third and then when it goes back to fourth after accelerating it judders badly. This is a repeatable problem apparently.
Is this a problem anyone else has had? Any known cause/fix?

2. Cruise control doesnt work at all.

3. uneven tyre wear. Is this a known problem?
The report says the front tyres which only have 3mm on them should be replaced before purchase.

4. the exhaust system works but has 'limited life' and should be budgetted for a replacement soon.

So, we are going to go back to the garrage with these problems, but its the 1st issue which concerns me. Id like to at least know what it might be causing it so that they have a chance of fixing it, and that i know it is fixed before i buy it.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Joel

·
Registered
662 Posts
why a 2.7 petrol? expect to be visiting the fuel stations on a regular basis expect 15-18 MPG with auto gearbox

gearbox issue sounds like slipping brake band some time thease can be adjusted if not its a new band and overhaul

cruise issue can be as simple as a poorly adjusted brake switch or as complex as a wireing harness and ecu

uneven tyre wear is usualy down to poor tyre pressures on sportages 3mm is 2/3rd worn

never seen a sportage exhaust rust out yet

on the whole a good idea to get the inspection done now walk away there are plenty of good sportages out there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Viking Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

I know the petrol is expensive to run, but we wont be doing many miles so im not that concerned about that.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the brake band. I will pass this on.

We told the garage these things and i got the impression that they werent that interested in sorthing them. But they said they would go away and investigate. If they arent willing / cant fix them then i'll ask them to refund us for the report.

the report was very good, first time i have got one done, but it wasnt cheap.

The problem is there arent that many good sportages out there - in auto (which is all my wife can drive).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts