Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me, my engine makes a whirring sound as the accelerator is pressed and every so often my power steering goes off and the light comes on.after restarting the engine the power steering is reinstated but the whirring sound is there all the time. Are the two connected?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a power steering failure, it went back to OK after stopping, witing 5 seconds, then starting engine, then after 2 seconds it jumped into operation again.

The KIA workshop found an error code (Torqe sensor failure) , and the KAI advice was to upgrade SW. I asked to, and read the KIA error correction advice/note, it only mentioned that the problem solved by the SW upgrade was the error code and warning ligt indications, but NOT that the SW fix had anything to do with an actual failure of the powere steering itself.

Subsequently I demanded the the whole steering column must be replaced, since a power steering failure is not something you can accept having intermittent failures - it can be deadly - and you do not acceptbeing subject ot experimenting with that to see if any SW fixes alone might corret it.

I did meet opposition, and only after explaining that I have worked as both as an instrument engineer in all sorts of dangerous process industries, and also been involved in the testing of another car model SW system, and that I would certainly spare no effort in explaining to the world how the matter was handled, they gave in and exchanged the steering column under the 7 year warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The above Steering Column exchange etc. relates to a Ceed SW ECO diesel, year model 2010, first taken to road end of 2009.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts