Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had, or heard of, power steering problems? My Shaker has had an intermittent fault for a month now. Initially, upon starting up the engine, the power steering was not turned on ( it's electric). Turning the engine off and restarting it cured it every time. I went to the dealers to see if they had heard of any issues like this, as I know that trying to recreate an intermittent fault to analyse what was happening would be nigh on impossible. They hadn't heard of anyone else having this problem so I went away hoping it would either stop completely on it's own (some hope) or come on permanently so that the true fault could be rectified.Friday, what I really feared as the worst case scenario actually happened. The power steering stopped working whilst I was driving! I turned off a road into a county lane and the power steering failed.The steering without the power assistance was so heavy I struggled to straightenthe car up, resulting in me coming to rest on a grass verge on the wrong side of the road!
I've dropped it off at the dealers and they are going to examine it on Monday. I'll keep you all posted of any developments. I just hope they can find some loose connection or faulty component, as that is not an experience I want to repeat!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmmm, its always a worry to me when a manufacturer embarks upon new technology. The first Souls had conventional hydraulicpower steering but have now gone to electric which save fuel as it is not always pumping oil and links in well with VSC as an angle sensor. Lets hope this is a one off. I think I've felt something a bit odd if I try turn my steeringwheel immediately after starting - kind of lumpy operation but maybe its just me. Thanks for the heads up - I will monitor mine and look forward to hearing about yours.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That is bloody scary!!...glad you and the car are ok. Anchorman is right that the European Soul get Electric steering, its the USA and Canada that get the hydraulic set up..... but dont ask me why!!!. The electric steering does a system self check on start up - which is why it can take a split second to get going after a startup.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have had this fault on a few aclass merc's the would loose the live fed from the ecu.
was told from a merc garage best solution was to splice into a ignition live feed.

have had to do the same on a few clio's aswell now

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good News

My local Kia garage has found a fault!

There was a bad connection on the torque sensor fitted to the steering. This sensor relays how much effort is being used to turn the steering and this information is translated into how much assistance the power steering gives.

Hopefully that will be the end of it.

I can't help thinking that the terrible state of our roads may have contributed to loosening the connection. A partially loose connector will soon loosen up further with the numerouspotholes I encounter around here!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Glad you got the steering sorted out Nat,we had a new Citroen C3 on an 03 platewhich failed on the steering the same way100% 7 or 8 times , the last time was at 70 + mph on the M1 while overtaking. Citroen took the car to their headquarters in London and we did not see it for 4 months ! When it came back and I looked under the bonnet the only original part I could see was the battery but it sorted it out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bloody fault has come back! Drove over a mini-roundabout yesterday when it failed. Drove it for a couple of miles before I could pull over. It's manageable without the assistance if you take it slowly, it's just the moment it fails that is a bit hairy! Turning off the engine and restarting cleared the problem. It's now back at the dealers.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the Soul back last night. Seems fine again. But that's the trouble with intermittent faults. They changed the torque sensor, but unfortunately for KIA it comes combined with the steering column. They reckon the parts cost in the region of £1100! I'll let you and KIA UK know if there are any more incidents.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's been fine ever since the replacement steering column and torque sensor was fitted. They must have had a batch of dodgy ones on the production line when my Soul was assembled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bought a second hand soul 2 2009 two weeks later the power steering went,then after restarting the motor it came on again I thought it was a one off. Two weeks later it happened again and it stayed off. Contacted the dealer and took the car in, they kept it for a day and told me it was traced to a earthing fault. It was fixed a week ago and is working perfect, but every time I start it I check to see if the power steering light goes off. Hopefully time will cure my fear of no power steering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,
It has now been a few months since I had problem with the power steering, touch wood it has not come back. So I am out and about in my Soul, why do other Soul drivers not return my wave as I pass them?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I normally give a quick flash when up reasonably close to them (my headlights!) but don't get many back. Lots of people just think it's another car, not much differant to others on the road, more of a "why did that guy (person) flash me?"

clubman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts