Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
travelling at about 35mph the power steering on my 2020 Sportage Edition 4 completely failed on a bend leading to a pretty hairy few seconds. The engine continued running although the start stop button illuminated red. Switching off and starting up again the steering was fully functional again. My dealership has looked at the car and can find no fault code and confimed all sofware is up to date so cannot do anything. Obviously i'm worried in case this repeats at higher speed. Anyone had anything similar?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Can I first ask .. in what condition is the battery on the car..has it been standing around for weeks on end where the battery will discharge.. low voltage can cause this.. it did on my youngest lads ix20 and when the battery was charged up the problem disappeared.. so some history and the age of the battery etc would certainly help members diagnose [if possible ] your problem.. saying that Kia cars are no stranger when it comes to power steering problems so it could also be the start of motor failure of the unit..while the car is a 2020 model a dodgy unit is always possible ..nothing should be taken for granted because its a newish vehicle..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Have you checked the battery condition with a multimeter.. even if its reading say 12.5 doesn't necessarily mean its fully charged up.. here is a link that will give you some idea regarding battery volts and state of the battery charge..AGM batteries are very finicky when it comes to voltage and charge rate.. I would suggest you look at this again and at least give the battery a charge with the correct charger..Check the Voltage before you charge it and when refitted let it settle for 4 hours .. so the car can recognise the new battery voltage.. now check again with a multimeter to see if its reading the same rate of charge when it came off the charger.. even when the car starts from cold in the mornings the battery could be discharged and only then will it start to recharge.. this is when power steering will be affected because of the low voltage..another possibility is you may have a parasitic drain..so look into that as well..with regards to the dealer finding no faults well unless the car is there when it happens they will certainly find no fault even when one does actually exist..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.