Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, had my vanilla soul shaker for 2 months, its a 59 plate and the power steering keeps failing (scary stuff), have read that this is a software fault related to heater controls on other Kia models, has anyone experienced the same fault on their soul, its usually on start up but does occur when I'm driving too. Love the car but now I'm wary of driving it, its going to dealer on Monday to get checked out but I've been down this path b4 with other cars and not looking forward to it especially since I didn't buy it new from them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wether or not you bought it from them should not matter, its annoying that some dealers do have that attitude though.
The heater controls situation only effects venga i think.... it will be more likely you will need a new Electronic power steering control unit which comes as one MDPS unit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes that was my Shaker that had the power steering fault.

It was caused by the torque sensor on the steering column.Apparently, the sensordetectshow much power assistance is needed for a given speed, and how much turning effect has been applied to the steering wheel and transmits this information to the power assistance unit.

In my case they cleaned up the contacts on the sensor which seemed to cure it for a few weeks then the problem came back. They then changed the sensor which comes complete with the steering column to effect a permanent cure. The price of the column was £1100! It's been fine since July.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did notice that cos I had a quick look under the dash at the unit just incase something was loose and there's only 3 small block connecters going into the unit which is totally sealed. They're probably going to do the same with mine, dont think I'll feel safe until the whole unit is changed, it went on me twice last night luckily without incident. Wont even let the kids in car now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the car to Kia this am, guy states that he has never came accross a fault like this on any Kia which I find hard to believeand states that if the EPS light isn't on they will not be able to detect any fault with the car. The problem I have is that the fault clears every time I turn the car off and on so unless it actually happens when they have the car I'm not going to be any better off. They still have the car and haven't been back in contact as yet so I'm playing a waiting game at the moment.

·
Registered
437 Posts
BALONEY...... wether or not the light is on, the on board computer (ECU) stores any faults if they have been active at any point. A quick scan is all it takes and it will show up probably more than just the one fault. I would pressurise them or take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well if it turns off every time the cars turned off there's an ECU failure for a start, the OBD softwear (when a faults detected) usually only removes the mil light when the fault has not been detected in 40 driving cycles. There's more info in the www.kia-hotline.com site. But as for not being able to solve a problem because the "computer says no" is ignorance. Just proves that people aren't trained correctly and think a 2yr apprenticeship at college is enough to be put in a position where every bit of work could cost thousands to repair or more scary someone's LIFE if a mistake is made. Sit the car on the forecourt and tell them to sort out the DANGEROUS fault, or you'll be rising an official complain rejecting the car. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
437 Posts
The fault will have to occur consecutively for two cycles for the light to actually stay on, intermittent faults will turn light off or even flash. Just because the light is not on it doesnt meen that a fault has not been logged. They should do a full system scan for all systems, takes no more than 2 mins and will give them at least some sort of clue as of where to look, like you say Richie..... bloody amatures!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just had a welcoming phonecall from the dealer who told me that he was unwilling to return the car to me as they have detected a serious defect within the electronic power steering unit, thats what I was hoping to hear. They have had authorisation from Kia to replace the whole unit as a result. So fingers crossed I'll be back on the road soon stress free not wondering whether or not I'd end up in a field or worse. I would hope Kia would be considering recalling these models as I would not wish this fault to occur on anyone's car, I know fellow owner Nat knows what I mean. Scary stuff. I'll keep all posted when I get car back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gotthe car back today, steering even feels a lot better, suppose it would, being a new unit, just hope it doesn't develop the same fault. Was covered under the warranty, no quibbles, but was told the unit was in excess of £1100 plus labour, thank goodness I wasn't paying for it.
Just got the impression they didn't want it broadcast and that they knew of this problem beforehand. Think Kia should at least inform owners of the potential fault if they not going to recall after all, it is in my mind, a serious defect.
Thankyou folks for all your knowledge and keeping me right, at least we know there are people out there who do care, cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,Just like to add my experience with my mums Kia.
Last month she told me she couldn't turn the wheel when she started up the car. I decided to check it out thinking she was probably using the wrong key or something,and found nothing wrong, steering was fine. then over a period of a week it kept happening every so often. I had the car for a week and it did happen to me. as the previous member has said it resets after you switch off and on the ignition. We took the car to our local Kia garage they had it for a few days, put a new steering rack in and said that should be ok. A week later it started doing it again so back to Kia again. they checked the ECU but it showed no fault, and we were to keep the car and when it happened again not to turn the car off and call breakdown service so they could see the fault, that wasn't practical as when my mother reversed off her drive, she couldn't steer and nearly caused a bad accident. Kia have had the car for 10 day and still can not find the fault. As the fault is intermittent there is nothing they can do. As the car is on Motability we will be taking it up with them as we feel the car is not safe to drive with this intermittent fault.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts