Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me out on this, is there any way on a 2015 ProCeed GT to get the mirrors to only fold in when locking/unlocking the car, and not just when the keys is in proximity, having only owned my car for a week or so i'm starting to get annoyed that everytime i walk near my car (with the key in my pocket) the mirrors keep unfolding/folding (doing some gardening, walking to the shop, pottering about the house/garage, letting the cats in/out)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think if it's the same as my 67 plate, the answer is no. I know exactly what you mean but now just ignore it.
Bugger, thats a shame, as i genuinly like the feature of the folding mirrors, mainly as a quick visial check that i locked the car, but highly irritating when they fold out everytime i go near it

I take it we don't get anything like the equivalent of VAGCOM for Vee-dub-ya to code minor things out like this

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
everytime i walk near my car (with the key in my pocket) the mirrors keep unfolding/folding
As stated in post #2, I'm also not aware that there is any way round that feature. Yesterday, I had to switch off the 'smart' tailgate setting so that I could attach my cycle rack without the damned thing opening and hitting the rack. At least that feature is in settings whereas the trick mirrors doesn't get a mention.

I can't remember if the actual mirror fold is switchable at the mirror button array on the driver's door armrest although the indexing feature for reverse parking is managed by selection of one or other buttons there.......haven't touched them in years! If it is possible to prevent the mirrors from folding, it rather negates the raison d'être of that feature.

The gadgets and gizmos may differ between your Ceed model and my Optima so I could be talking bollocks here anyway!:rolleyes:

The brief advice in the last three words of post #2 may be the easiest solution. Alternatively, use of a Faraday pouch or metal tin to house the keys whilst you work in proximity to the car might also serve your purpose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As stated in post #2, I'm also not aware that there is any way round that feature. Yesterday, I had to switch off the 'smart' tailgate setting so that I could attach my cycle rack without the damned thing opening and hitting the rack. At least that feature is in settings whereas the trick mirrors doesn't get a mention.

I can't remember if the actual mirror fold is switchable at the mirror button array on the driver's door armrest although the indexing feature for reverse parking is managed by selection of one or other buttons there.......haven't touched them in years! If it is possible to prevent the mirrors from folding, it rather negates the raison d'être of that feature.

The gadgets and gizmos may differ between your Ceed model and my Optima so I could be talking bollocks here anyway!:rolleyes:

The brief advice in the last three words of post #2 may be the easiest solution. Alternatively, use of a Faraday pouch or metal tin to house the keys whilst you work in proximity to the car might also serve your purpose.
The only option on Ceed/ProCeed is to have them in manual or AUTO setting, set by a physical switch on the dash

I really detest the idea of a Faraday pouch, as that completely undermines the keyless entry/start system, and means getting your keys out of you pocket, just to remove the case, to then put it back in your pocket to unlock the door and start the engine

But yes, i think it will just be something i will have to live with

On that front, is it usual to have to deactivate this feature in Winter, in case of them freezing? (never had a car with folding mirrors before)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I may be misinterpreting your question here but on my Ceed (70 plate) there is the option via the settings screen to have the car unlock/mirrors unfold on approaching the car with the key in your posession - I had this option active for a couple of days until like you it drove me potty, or you can have it so that you can unlock the doors/unfold the mirrors either via the unlock button on the fob or the button on the door handle (again you of course need to have the key with you).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may be misinterpreting your question here but on my Ceed (70 plate) there is the option via the settings screen to have the car unlock/mirrors unfold on approaching the car with the key in your posession - I had this option active for a couple of days until like you it drove me potty, or you can have it so that you can unlock the doors/unfold the mirrors either via the unlock button on the fob or the button on the door handle (again you of course need to have the key with you).
I tried looking in the setting menu, but i couldn't see anything relating to mirrors

Mine if the previous generation to yours, so looks like something that was sorted out on a later generation model

But yes, this is how i would have expected the whole keless thing to work, either the option to unlock/unfold mirrors upon proximety, or unlock/unfold upon key/dorr handle button press

The MKII seems to have a mix of both, with no option to switch between either

·
Registered
249 Posts
It is annoying, but nowadays I don't carry my car key with my house keys as the key fobs have got so big and bulky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is annoying, but nowadays I don't carry my car key with my house keys as the key fobs have got so big and bulky.
I keep my keys separated, but they still both live in my pocket all the time, the only time they get removed is when i change clothes :D

At least that is one benefit of the COVID pandemic, that i don't have a pocket full of change anymore :p

I figure they are safest kept in my pocket that in a dish by the front door (like so many folk still seem to do, my parents included)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I keep mine in a faraday box in the house so nobody can pinch it overnight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep mine in a faraday box in the house so nobody can pinch it overnight.
I think folk would have to be pretty desperate to start targetting (as my Dad calls it) "a bloody Kia"

There will always be a plentiful supply of Fiest ST's, Audi RS3's & Golf GTi's for the scumbags to target before they decide to target my "bloody Kia" :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top 15 most stolen car models in 2020
1. Ford Fiesta - 3,392
2. Land Rover Range Rover - 2,881
3. Volkswagen Golf - 1,975
4. Ford Focus - 1,587
5. BMW 3 Series - 1,435
6. Vauxhall Astra - 1,126
7. Land Rover Discovery - 900
8. Mercedes-Benz E Class - 766
9. BMW 5 Series - 678
10. Nissan Qashqai - 655
11. Ford Kuga - 620
12. BMW X5 - 551
13. Fiat 500 - 358
14. Mercedes-Benz GLC - 342
15. Audi A6 - 268

source: What cars were stolen most in 2020 according to DVLA data?

And not a Kia in sight :cool:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd rather not risk it, and I need to keep the keys somewhere.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
We humans are a fickle lot, aren't we! Today, we are driving cars, equipped in such ways that those of us who started driving in the 1950s could only dream about.

Advances in technology, particularly in engineering and solid-state electronics have led to us having standard features in our cars that satisfy our every desire.......almost! Of course, along with those advances in our cars, our expectations are also much greater and we find things to quibble about in every modern car, whether it be the absence of a heated steering wheel or the lack of a spare wheel; the brightness of the lights, the TPMS types that don't show every wheel's individual tyre pressure, the servicing schedule that doesn't seem to suit the needs of some, the cost of a software update........the list is endless.

My first two cars had no radio, had vacuum wipers and the heater was on the options list!. There is no doubt that we have progressed but, from a country that prided itself in defeating fascism (with enormous assistance from the USSR and USA though it seems nobody wants to mention that any more!) by overcoming the Nazis, the Japanese and the Italians. We didn't buy their cars or motor cycles because everything that was British was the best in the world.....we claimed.

That didn't last too long before people wised up! The foreign cars from all three of those defeated nations began to appear in car showrooms and garage forecourts and even the most jingoistic Brits started buying them for all the reasons that ultimately led to the demise of the British carmaking industry.

Even in the 1950s, Korea was the epicentre of a major war and the USA with British support lost that one to the communists. The nett result was that Korea became two nations and, just as after WW2, the defeated nation, South Korea, went on to become a major force in the automobile industry.

Now, well at least for the moment, foreign powers have British labour building their cars with profits going to Germany, France, Japan, Korea and Italy for the most part.

Perhaps I was wrong to state that we have made progress?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I can't remember if the actual mirror fold is switchable at the mirror button array on the driver's door armrest although the indexing feature for reverse parking is managed by selection of one or other buttons there.......haven't touched them in years!
We never got the reversing mirror-tilt on the gt, clearly we're not premium enough, if that's what you meant. We have: in / out / let the car choose, that's it.

As for winter folding, mine hasnt ever sounded restricted even during the worst weather. My drivers side does occasionally need a few switch hits if it has been standing after a wash or heavy rain but other than that, I not had any problems.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Top 15 most stolen car models in 2020
1. Ford Fiesta - 3,392
2. Land Rover Range Rover - 2,881
3. Volkswagen Golf - 1,975
4. Ford Focus - 1,587
5. BMW 3 Series - 1,435
6. Vauxhall Astra - 1,126
7. Land Rover Discovery - 900
8. Mercedes-Benz E Class - 766
9. BMW 5 Series - 678
10. Nissan Qashqai - 655
11. Ford Kuga - 620
12. BMW X5 - 551
13. Fiat 500 - 358
14. Mercedes-Benz GLC - 342
15. Audi A6 - 268

source: What cars were stolen most in 2020 according to DVLA data?

And not a Kia in sight :cool:
The stinger might be close to that list if more of the criminal classes knew it existed. However kia may not have sold enough to hit no. 15, even if every single one got pinched. 🤔

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The stinger might be close to that list if more of the criminal classes knew it existed. However kia may not have sold enough to hit no. 15, even if every single one got pinched. 🤔
Oh, didn't realise the Stinger was atop the criminals wish list

They are pretty tasty though

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oh, didn't realise the Stinger was atop the criminals wish list

They are pretty tasty though
Can't imagine there's a big resale market for them and not many about. However, imho they are the perfect getaway vehicle.....

Comfort mode will give up to x4 badmen a nice journey to the 'job' in style. Debadged, 99.9% of people wouldn't know what it was and while it gets attention, doesn't scream "look at me", it just glides past unobtrusively. Electric opening boot for lots of 'swag'. After the 'task' has been completed, switch it to sport and you have a car equal to almost any police vehicle for the resulting car chase. A chase during which, 50% of the police chatter would be "Does anyone know what a stinger looks like?". Once you've evaded plod, there's a long warranty so you don't have to worry about reliability for future jobs. Perfect getaway vehicle 👍😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hopefully someone can help me out on this, is there any way on a 2015 ProCeed GT to get the mirrors to only fold in when locking/unlocking the car, and not just when the keys is in proximity, having only owned my car for a week or so i'm starting to get annoyed that everytime i walk near my car (with the key in my pocket) the mirrors keep unfolding/folding (doing some gardening, walking to the shop, pottering about the house/garage, letting the cats in/out)
Yep, annoying but it does warn you in the book of words that this happens. At first I thought it was unlocking the car as well but it doesn't. Just have to grrrrin and bear it, lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts