Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, thinking about getting a Sorento in the next few weeks and I've registered on the forum to find out everything I can about the vehicle and make an informed decision as to whether it will be the right choice of vehicle, and which one to go for.

The reason - Earlier this year got stuck in my road in the snow, as I'm sure a lot of people did. Couldn't get out, the snow was too deep and we live in a cul-de-sac on a hill. Wife got stuck across town and was lucky not to catch hyperthermia walking home in a blizzard! Felt completely helpless. Quite fortunately my employers allowed me time off when I couldn't get in, but now I'm in a new role and there will be no ifs or buts, I have to been in work whatever the weather. So, a 4x4 in my family is going to have to be a necessity.

Having looked around on the internet, the Sorento seems to be quite highly rated. But my main concern is reliablity. I would be looking at a 04- 55 plate XE or XS, manual gearbox, around 40k miles and for about £8k. Would a vehicle of this age/mileage be likely to be reliable and serve me well for years to come? What should I be looking for in vehicles that I'm going to view? Do theyhave any known issues or likely to corrode in places?If the vehicle has been used as a tow car, is this likely to have had a big impact on the drivetrain or is this vehicle more than capable and it wont matter. I wont be using it for towing (not got the category on my licence) so this wont be an issue in the future.

The other question is about the difference in the 4wd systems between the XE and the XS models. I understand the basicdifferences between them and how they work, but wonder which one would be better? How quick does the automatic4wd kick in? Could it be considered a safety feature in terms of handling, ie if the vehicle started to oversteer, would it engage 4wd quick enough to help correct the slide or does it not work for this? Also, is there something on the dash that tells you the automatic 4wd is activated? I'm thinking in terms of MPG and dont want to be driving round unwittingly in 4wd if the vehicle mistakenly engages the system.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's a big purchase for us, and I just want to make sure it's the right one.

Thanks in advance. Matt.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Matt,
Jesus, just spent 10 mins answering this and then i deleted it...ah.

Here we go again...

Whatever 4x4 or gearbox option you select you require correct tyres for the conditions...otherwise you will slide all over the place......

Please find some notes i have saved regarding the vdifference between the TOD bsystem as fitted to the XS AND ABOVE, and the XE model.

I used my Xs in temps of -12 and deep snow and with winter tyres fitted and driving with respect to the conditions had no issues at all, passed landcruisers and discos all stuck..he..he

Re: explanation of locking (2wd, 4hi 4lo) ? XE Model<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The Sorento, like most true 4wd's has a conventional gearbox, but on the back of that is a transfer gear box which splits the drive to the rear axle for 2wd, or to the front and rear axle for 4wd. As well, a reduction gear can be engaged to give low range gearing in 4wd.

As you say, 2wd is just that, the rear two wheels are driven, with drive to the front wheels disconnected by a clutch in the transfer gearbox. Also there is a compressed air driven clutch in the front differential which allows the front wheels to 'free wheel'. This saves on fuel and tyre wear as the differential and front driveshaft are not turning. The air compressor is turned on when 4wd is selected. The air pressurises the differential housing to about 5lbs/sq in to engage the clutch.

4wd drives all 4 wheels through the main gearbox and transfer box. The front and rear wheels have to turn at the same speed.

4wd Low drives all 4 wheels as above, but the reduction gear is engaged to give more torque for difficult conditions.

It is possible to change between 2wd and 4wd on the move just by moving the selector knob, but you must be stationary to engage 4wd Low.

Also remember not to drive in 4wd on hard surfaces such as bitumen roads, as this can cause damage to the transmission. The reason for this is that when turning a corner, the front wheels travel further than the rear. If they are locked together in 4wd, something has to give. Either the tyres skid or something breaks in the transmission.

Vehicles designed for constant 4wd have a differential in the transfer box to allow the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different speeds so avoiding the problem.

That sums up the conventional 4wd system.

The TOD (Torque-on Demand) system is a little different.
This system uses the wheel rotation sensors from the Anti-Skid Braking system to detect when the rear wheels are turning faster than the front wheels. If the rear (drive) wheels are turning faster, the system assumes the wheels are slipping and automaticaly engages the front wheels to give 4wd and so improve traction.
This works fine on snowy roads and icy driveways, but is not so good off road in mud or soft sand. The reason is that by the time the system has responded, the rear driving wheels are already bogged down. Also the system tends to 'hunt' in variable off road conditions.

Taff

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

·
Registered
662 Posts
buy a Sportage more practacle when there is no snow just as good in the snow ability to select 4x4 lock whilst moveing better mpg and more reliable on the 4x4 system and you will get a newer car for your budget

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Matt,

The 2003 to 2009 Sorento isa good car, butsome people have hadproblems when towing.My advice to you is to buy one that HAS NOT been used a tow car. The auto box onthe Sorento is fitted out with an oil cooler, the manual version is not.
Ihad a manual gearboxfailure at 38000mileson my 2005 XS Sorentowhile towing.A gearbox bearing had broken up and a fragement of metal got jammed in the gear train, causing extensive internal damage. As I was in Spain at the time, the local KIA Franchised Dealer couldn't get the box overhauled and had fitted me a brand new gearbox at a cost of 5040 Euros. I had the car since new and it has been regularly serviced by KIA Franchised Dealers only. The cause of my failure was in all probability the strain put on the gearbox by towing a caravan with an intermittently binding rear brake caliper, which unfortunately I didn't discover until a few months after the new box was fitted.

I had the gearbox oil from the faulty analysed (I brought the faulty gearbox back home with me) and it appears that the oil had completely lost its viscosity. KIA recommend gearbox oil changes at 60000miles or 6 years butONLY when towing, but otherwise it is an oil level check only during the service.

Good luck buying your Sorento, but a word of advice: don't buy the Sorento I had sold in June this year, registration number DY55 LFA.

PeterP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. Think the sorento suits our needs better than the sportage. Got 3 car seats to go across the back, and the boot gets filled with pushchairs and 2 very big dogs, so the extra size over the sportage is beneficial, but thankyou for the suggestion, I did a lot of research last night. Found this forum to be very useful and informative.

Is anyone able to answer the question about the automatic 4wd being able to correct oversteer? OR does the Sorento have traction control/stabilty control to help with that anyway? Only reason I ask is that the car will mainly be driven by my wife who has never driven a RWD car and dont want to see her spinning out in it, not that she drives like that.

Going to have a look at a couple of cars today so we'll see what happens. Might start looking at the auto box now. Some of the local automatic cars are much cheaper than their manual equivalent, so the initial outlaw might outweight the additional running costs anyway. Is the auto box better suited to the car anyway? That's what one of the garages was telling me.

Matt
Edited by: Matt D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Morning Matt,
I have had the benifit of both, manual first and found it gave initial notchy gearchange from 1st to 2nd..this went after 2000kms and never had an issue afterwards...used the beast for towing builder trailer only...

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

Depends on what you want in terms of driving style..i prefer to drive a vehicle rather than just use auto boxes, as we live in rural area, but if in city etc the auto box has best of both worlds with the trip box....i think you will need to give your wife a few driving lessons in the bad conditions to get her used to driving a 4x4..its not a car....

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Taff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm the worst back seat driver, and she hates me commenting on her driving at the best of times!
Went and looked at a 2004 XS manual today ata garage. Phoned him up, drove 30 miles there and he was in the process of selling it as I walked in. D'oh!

However, I did talk him into letting me sit in it, as being 6'7" tall I have a problem with cars. I found that my head was really uncomfortably touching the roof. Wouldnt have been able to drive it. This model had electric seats, so do the manual ones go lower? Dont remember having that problem when I've sat in them before. Were electric seats an option or were they standard on certain models?
Edited by: Matt D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The XS I looked at the other day had manual seats?

Think I'll have to go and find an XE and see if I could live without the leather and cruise control which are quite high up the list of things we'd like. Or an XS without an electric driver's seat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was definitely an XS. It has the cruise contol and the chrome handles. It was the facelift version with the more powerful engine. Maybe that's the difference?

Car is the dark blue one being sold here for £11995.

http://www.circularmotors.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drove an XE today and thankfully fitted in that comfortaby. The XE didnt havethe sun roof like the XS did the other day, so maybe that was the reason I struggled for headroom. Anyways, car was lovely to drive, but too much money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not impressed.......

The ones I've seen have been too much money, with the sellers not budging on the price. The one I found that I was really keen on was advertised, then sold to a relative of the company. But when it's a 2005, 44k miles but with only 3 stamps in the service history book, it may have been more throuble than it was worth anyway.

So, as suggested, had a look at Sportages. Quite impressed with the car, and seems to fit the bill quite nicely, but I think I'd always be disappointed that it wasnt a Sorento!

Anyway, funnyish story, found a Sportage in a garage in Tyldsley, Manchester. Travelled over, took a look and it seemed good. 2005 ona 54 plate, 37k miles, full service hsitory mainly from Bolton Kia and 1 previous owner, all for £4695. Asked them how much for cash and they stated £4500. They said it had just come in as a px that day and we were the first to look at it. The drivers seat had a slight rip to the half leather, and they said if we wanted it, they'd service it, MOT it, fix the seat and valet. Tried to get some more off the price by saying we'd do that ourselves, but they wouldnt have it. Anyways, it was 6pm on Sunday and they were working late and wanting to go home and I couldnt test drive it, so arranged to come back today. It was raining so didnt want to view it in the wet but he also wouldnt get me a mat to put down so I could look underneath it. Point blankly refused! He didtry to pressure us into it by saying that someonewas phoning them back tomorrow wanting to trade in 2 cars for it....hang on....werent we the first to look at it?I was working todayso the wife went and test drove it with her dad. Think the clutch may be on the way out as it didnt come up as quickly as your foot, but then when she told them that their attitude changed. Turned really nasty towards the wife, and grabbed her arm to stop her phoning me! She was told she was being stupid about the clutch, and the bloke said it was fine as he'd been driving it all week....hang on....thought it only came in on Sunday! LOL! But it gets better, they then said they wouldn't MOT it, wouldn't service it, and woudn't fix the seat, that would be an extra £100!

So, we walked away from it. Probably a nice car but their attitude and customer service was among the worst I have ever encountered. Wasn't convinced that they'd ever agree to fix anything under their '3 month warranty.' Back to the drawing board.............

·
Registered
536 Posts
That is the most annoying thing I have ever had to deal with, people like that. It's making me angry just thinking about it. Can I ask you something, if he had been honest and said "yeah clutch needs doing" would you have still been interested? The one thing that pi$$es me off is when your down right lied to.
Let's face it, if they put you off, they lost a sale, but now they will loose more sales, along with there reputation. Best to have walked away just out of principal.

It's like when I called the dealer the day after I tried getting hold of the sales man the first time. He said he only got the msg that morning, why not just admit he forgot and apologise, at least I would still trust him!Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
662 Posts
Matt D said:
Not impressed.......

Think the clutch may be on the way out as it didn't come up as quickly as your foot,

that is correct on the sportage the hydraulics have a damper on them

but you did the right thing walking away with customer service like that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Viking Paul said:
Matt D said:
Not impressed.......

Think the clutch may be on the way out as it didn't come up as quickly as your foot,

that is correct on the sportage the hydraulics have a damper on them

but you did the right thing walking away with customer service like that

So are they supposed to be like that? It was the first one we'd looked at and didnt have any comparison to make unfortunately.

Going to drive another one tomorrow but this only has part service history.

Still think I'd regret not getting the sorento though!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got my Sorento from Ryedale Garages the Kia dealer nearest to me and I must say I was very impressed with the Service they gave me. When I first looked at the car I noticed the front tyres would need changing soon but didn't say anything, when I picked the car up found two brand new tyres had been fitted. The car was fully serviced with a new MOT for 12 months even though it still had three months to run on the old one. They gave me a 12 month guarantee as well. I told the sales man I would be using it for towing my caravan and when I got home and looked in the boot they had made up a brand new number plate to fit on the caravan, this is what I call good customer service!

Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, didnt like the Sportage. It was as expected....it wasnt a Sorento! Drive was nice. Clutch was better but still didnt like the feel of it. And my god it felt underpowered. I was expecting so much more. Anyway, that test drive made my mind up. Phoned up the garage where we test drove a Sorento and bought it! I won't go into more detail until deposit is paid, but Sorento ownership here we come!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Happy days, got the car! Went down the route of getting an XE-C which I plan to convert into a normal XE. Same age, and mileage on a normal XE is about £2500 more expensive than this way, so it made much better financial sense as the parts are only about £350 I reckon. First time I'd driven it on the motorway and I'm very impressed. Lovely cruiser and is a real joy to drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts