Kia Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
The wheels seem to be one thing on my Gt that have not been a problem. Coming up 20000 and almost 4 years now. One thing perhaps that has helped is I never use any wheel cleaner. Just soapy water and elbow grease.
On the very odd occasion I wash my GT, I use this stuff on the alloys [I have no commercial no affiliation].

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
At around 11K miles the original Michelin front tyres were almost on the wear indicators so the hunt was on for a new set, on my previous car I'd been running winter tyres for a few years and found the performance of them in the cold wet and snow to be superb so I priced up a set of steel wheels and tyres for the GT they were an eye watering £800 so that was out.

After doing a lot of research which seemed to point in the direction of All Season Tyres with the Michelin CrossClimate + coming out on top I had a pair fitted a few weeks back and I'am really impressed with them, they are excactly what I was hoping for their performance in the cold and wet is excellent I'am not expecting winter tyre levels of grip on snow but they should be a huge step up from the summer tyres.

This tyre test is quite interesting and worth a watch -

·
Registered
264 Posts
At around 11K miles the original Michelin front tyres were almost on the wear indicators so the hunt was on for a new set, on my previous car I'd been running winter tyres for a few years and found the performance of them in the cold wet and snow to be superb so I priced up a set of steel wheels and tyres for the GT they were an eye watering £800 so that was out.

After doing a lot of research which seemed to point in the direction of All Season Tyres with the Michelin CrossClimate + coming out on top I had a pair fitted a few weeks back and I'am really impressed with them, they are excactly what I was hoping for their performance in the cold and wet is excellent I'am not expecting winter tyre levels of grip on snow but they should be a huge step up from the summer tyres.

This tyre test is quite interesting and worth a watch -
I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. They handle the snow we had in February (admittedly, soft southern shandy-swigging snow) very well. Like you say, not as well as full winters, but close enough. If the weather is any worse, I'd stay at home; I'm not prepared to get involved in someone else's accident. The rest of the time, when it's cold and greasy rather than snowy, they are very good. They may lack the last 10% in summer, but I'be never noticed as I don't drive that quick!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Good to hear your positive experience with them...how are they wearing.

The plan is to swap them to the rears come the spring to minimise the wear then have the summer tyres on the front for the warmer weather.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, I've put just under 20,000 miles on them now. They had 7.8mm when I bought them, fronts now are 4.7mm and the rears 6.2mm, so standing up very well. As you can guess from those numbers, I haven't swapped front-back, and my mileage is around 80% motorway, so you might suffer more wear than I do. I'll probably run those fronts down to 3.5mm or so and then replace them. Knowing my local tyre fitters, they probably put them to the back!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wow, all that tread left at 20,000. Thought I had done well to get 18,000 by swapping around. Do you only drive in straight lines lol. Uniroyal Rainsports on mine now.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you only drive in straight lines lol.
Yes, it appears so! I had to check the numbers as I thought I must have got it wrong. I'm used to buying two tyres a year generally, but looks like I should get that to 18 months with these. I've no recent experience with Uniroyals, how are you finding them?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yes, it appears so! I had to check the numbers as I thought I must have got it wrong. I'm used to buying two tyres a year generally, but looks like I should get that to 18 months with these. I've no recent experience with Uniroyals, how are you finding them?
Rainsports are superb, really sticky. Softer than Michelin’s so will not get the mileage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That went in quick...it's my1st year anniversary as a GT owner.

Here's my findings over the last year...

My car has now covered 13k miles and as expected it has proved to be completly reliable not one instance of anything going wrong, it does use a little bit of oil, fuel comsumption is around 30mpg, the stock headlights are not the best and have been improved by upgrading the HID and LED bulbs, the front tyres lasted 11k which is acceptable, my local Kia Platinum Dealer is arrogant and untrustworthy to the point of lying to me when asked to check out a couple of warranty issues, another local dealer Uncle Arnold was the polar opposite so that's where I'll go from now on...and I really like the way it looks.

I find the GT to be a great daily driver but I don't enjoy driving it hard its not a car to be taken by the scruff of the neck and fired down a twisty B road the suspension copes good enough and it steers reasonably well but you can feel its weight in fast direction changes and the brakes sometimes feel they are on the edge of fading, driven at 7/10ths its a great car but when I want the last fun 3/10ths its lacking...I miss my Swift Sport for daft B road blasts it was a sensational car.

So I plan to keep it for a while yet but I'am on the look out for a low milage mint late plate Swift Sport.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
More LED bulbs...this time rear indicators, I ordered these cheap Chinesium bulbs which goes against the grain but I was pleasently surprised by the quality of them they are actually made from glass, not bad for £3.95...saying that they will probably be burned out by the end of the week..!!!

They give a much improved look to the rear of the car, a noticeable increase in light too.

LED Indicator Bulbs.jpg

·
Registered
264 Posts
That went in quick...it's my1st year anniversary as a GT owner.
Jeez, that did fly by!

I'm surprised yours is using oil, mines never taken a drop (although I was kind of expecting it to, like every cra I have ever owned).

I guess the B-roads round your way are better than one near me; there is no way I'd fly down them, especially at night; they are littered with potholes and broken edges and too many oursouls in their Land Rover products coming the other way!

I understand what you say about hankering for the Swift. I missed my IS300 something rotten not long after I got the GT, and I really fancy getting another one. But, the GT and I have had some great road trips, and I wouldn't want rid of it. It's just excellent for everyday use. Even at 7/10ths.. 😉(three tenths more than I ever use!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I hate when cars don't work..!!!

I'am having an issue with the front and rear windscreen washers...i.e. they won't skoosh, it happed about a week ago, at first I thought I'd run out of screenwash but the reservior was nearly full...the headlight washers work just fine.

The pump spins OK there's just no water from the nozzels, so thinking there might be a blockage in the tank I drained it and flushed it out with a hose and airline to try and dislodge what might be blocking it...nothing worked.

I found this online - Kia Cee'd - Front Washer Motor Repair procedures - Windshield Wiper/Washer - which shows the two motor/pump's for the windscreen and headlights so it looks like a strip down is needed to get things working again.

Or dump it on the dealer and ask them to fix it...under warranty of course, they'll claim its not covered or some other pish no doubt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I contacted the dealer see if they could have a look at the washers and was told it'll be £70 all in to unblock them, if the pump is faulty its covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I contacted the dealer see if they could have a look at the washers and was told it'll be £70 all in to unblock them, if the pump is faulty its covered by the warranty.
Sounds like less than a hour of their time, £70!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I decided to look at this myself...remove offside wheel, take out five plastic clips and pull the mudgaurd liner out to reveal the washer reservior, from below gently pull on the pump to release it from the bottle.

This is the offending item...this little strainer is fitted in the inlet side of the washer pump it was choked with what could only be described as bacterial build-up as was the inside of the washer reservior, so after a thorough clean out all is skooshing again as it should.

The prevoius owner may have only used water and not a strong mix of screen wash which would keep anything from growing in the reservior.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would probably have busted every one of those five clips doing that! Glad you got it sorted. An occasional Milton tablet does wonders I've found.

On this subject, I spotted this email to Honest John:

"I have really enjoyed driving my 18-month old Audi Q2 and it had given me no problems since buying it new. I was therefore surprised when it stopped spraying windscreen fluid, both back and front, despite hearing the washer pump working. A visit to the Audi dealer revealed that a new pump was needed "because I have not been using Audi branded screen wash fluid" and, as this is breach of the warranty, I would have a £480 bill. I complained, and asked to be shown the explicit term in the warranty where using Audi’s expensive fluid is required. They then waived the fee and carried out the repair. Have you heard of this before and are drivers really at risk from using non-manufacturer branded washer fluid in their cars?

AH, via email

Oh, yes. Common, especially where cars have headlight washers. It's because biological sludge can develop in the washer reservoir if non-bacterial washer fluid is used. So very well done for challenging the assertion that there was a warning in the warranty / service book when there wasn't."

Got to love their brass neck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thats a great tip using a Milton tablet...thanks.

It would seem this issue is not uncommom, but for a dealer to try and rip of the customer for a simple fix is outrageous.

I was once refused for supplying my own oil (same brand and spec) for a service as "it has to be shown being taken from our stores for the warranty" I questioned this and asked how much I was being charged for the oil "£120 for 8L", I bought two tubs from Costco for £60 so asked why thier oil was twice the price and refused the service until the cost of the oil was matched...this also from another premium German brand main dealer.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts