Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'am looking into buying a Pro'ceed GT and would be interested to hear owners views on the car good or bad, I had a test drive of one on Sunday and this pretty much confirmed this is my next car.

It will be my first Kia and will be replacing a 2014 Swift Sport which I absolutely adore but its time for a change.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you're looking for another warm hatch then I dont think you will be disappointed. I'm coming up to a year with mine and still love it.
They're not the quickest, nor the sharpest of handling but as an everyday driver I cant fault it. Well except the fuel consumption maybe. The only reason I went ceed over the pro is for practicality but both had me hooked after the test drives. I think you get a lot of car for your money, especially as they dont seem to sell in high numbers so dealers offer good discounts to shift them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you're looking for another warm hatch then I dont think you will be disappointed.
Why on earth do people keep calling a car with 200+ bhp and a 0-60 in the 6's a warm hatch?

Back in the late 80's and into the mid 90's I had a Golf GTi which at that time was pretty much the HOT hatch to have. Some were a bit faster, some allegedly handled a bit better but the Golf was king for many years. It had 112 bhp and a 0-60 in the mid 8's but even though I have had more powerful cars since I still look on it with great affection.

I accept that cars have got lardier since then thus need more power to do the same job but to me while the Swift probably is a warm hatch (only because there are loads faster - not because its slow) any small/medium hatch with over 200 bhp is definitely hot.

What purpose do those hatches with over 300 bhp serve I have no idea. Other than a track day there is nowhere you can sensibly or legally use the power on public roads.

My last car was what "I" would consider to be a warm hatch. 140 bhp turbo petrol with a mid 8's 0-60 and excellent mid range acceleration (way better than the Golf GTi). On a cross country trip very few (if any) cars would pass me. What would I do with double the power, little chance of getting there quicker without risking my license or life.

The Ceed GT looks great and will be a step up from the Swift. Buy and enjoy. If they had sold a GT estate I would probably be driving one now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Its the standard definition, hot is 250 plus (these days, properly 300 plus) and on the road the ceed shows its not a hot hatch. Its a combo though, its not just power and the ceed was never designed to take on gtis etc, hyundai did that with n brand and kia are so far saying they wont follow that path.
The ceed is a compromise, it smooths out the rough edges of true hot hatches to be an excellent daily driver.
I remember when mg metros were classed as hot hatches.............

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ceed should feel better in all aspects than the swift. Biggest difference is solidity compared to the swift sport we had. Ceed is more of a grand tourer than a turbo nutter barsteward beast. Not slow but not the quickest.
I drive an st fiesta with 180 bhp regularly and it feels quicker, but is more tiring to drive, probably more fun as well. So my comment on warm or hot has nothing to do with bhp, all about how big the smile is when driving. I had a 205 gti with 115 bhp, it wouldn’t even register On the hatch scale, but boy was it fun to drive.still got a swift gti 101 bhp and that is the same.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Klippie, welcome to the forum. Forgive me, but I'm old enough to think 'clippie' refers to someone who gives you the ticket on a bus! I guess this is not your vocation, as it isn't the 1970s any more [Jeez, I need a retirement home...].

Yes, the Ceed GT has the performance of a warm hatch nowadays, but that is by no means meant to denigrate it. The Honda Type R, etc, are indeed far quicker. But, how often do you need that speed? How often can you deploy it on the road? That said, it is still pretty quick. Be in the right gear with turbo spooled, and you can surprise quicker machinery, drivers of which might make an assumption based on the KIA badge on the hatch. But better than that is the more frequently used flexibility from low revs that makes it a painless cruiser for everyday driving. Six gears can sometimes seem too many...

Fuel economy isn't brilliant, but the T-GDi engine is a bit 'old tech'. But it's not ruinous, and didn't deploy the cheat devices of other manufacturers.

It's just soft enough to cope with UK roads. I've recently switched to Michelin CrossClimates which has helped overcome my one concern about the 40 profile tyres.

I think you'll find it a more gown up Swift, which is definitely not A Bad Thing. Plus, you get - if what I read is correct - that inexcusable omission in the Swift: heated seats!

Not sure if you are planning on buying new, but you should be aware a new Ceed GT is coming in March 2019. Performance will be the same, but there are few minor spec tweeks and the option of a DSG gearbox. Of course, that does mean a glut of traded current spec GTs coming to the used market very soon...

·
Registered
374 Posts
As an example of how times have changed (and not for the better IMHO) I have thought about the past 30 years.

1989 I bought a brand new Golf GTi 8 valve. It was £11,000 and was essentially equipped with nothing but at least it was within my budget. No central locking, no electric windows, no power steering, no ABS, no cruise control, no air con, amazingly for a car in the late 80's badged as a GTi it did not even have alloy wheels. Bought a set of aftermarket ones since the VW ones were stupid £££££'s. Loved that car, kept it over 7 years, did 113,000 miles with very few issues. Change of job meant I needed an economical diesel so it had to go. Last saw it in 2016 parked in Tesco. At 27 years old it still looked pretty good and was (according to the owner who was given the car by his brother) mechanically original with 202,000 on the clock. He planned a resto at some point.

In 2005 my motoring needs changed again and another hot hatch was the obvious choice. Honda Civic Type R was by then daddy of the hot hatches and was a bargain. £15,000 (which was easily within my budget) got you 200 bhp, alloy wheels, ABS, central locking, electric windows, power steering, and the version I priced had air con which was in truth the only option. Compared to the £11,000 I had paid 16 years earlier it was a total bargain. Problem was after 16 years of turbo diesels I simply could not get used to screaming the engine to 8000 rpm to get the best from it, seemed like hard work. Bought a BMW 120D and loved it for 6 years.

Just looked at the price of a Type R now and its £31500, well out of my budget. It is no doubt much faster than the 2005 version but where on a public road would you use it.

I blame the idiot Clarkson with his POWER mantra.

The prices Kia were charging for the Ceed GT made much more sense and as I said above in the real work the performance was more than adequate.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Bear in mind Klippie in late 2015 there was a facelift model. What age of gt are you looking to buy. Mine is just coming up to 3 years and although I have had a mystery problem which has caused a couple of breakdowns the GT to my mind is a lovely drive and an exciting car when you put your right foot down. I have been test driving a few cars recently and nothing compares. Yes a new GT is imminent, no price yet but probably near 30 grand for the auto box and the body style is not as sleek to my mind. Best of luck, Roger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi mate I bought my gt just over a week ago. Trading in a diesel jetta which I did a lot of miles in. Was a cracking car but wanted a change. Saw the gt and loved it's looks and all the toys inside. The Seats are so comfy. Fuel consumption is more than my old car but I now do less mileage going to Wales in it tomorrow so looking forward in giving it a blast. Loving it so far.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All very encouraging comments...thanks.

I've been thinking about changing my Sport for a while and checked out a few possible contenders...oh I forgot to mention it has to be a three door car.

Toyota GT86 - great car to drive handled sweet as a nut, the engine was the most gutless thing I've driven it spoiled the car with its massive flat spot right where you expect it to start pulling strong.

New Swift Sport (four door) - I was curious, ugly design, even cheaper interior, the engine was a peach though quite impressive.

New Fiesta ST - to say it blew my socks off would be an understatement, what a car it was sensational in every way, it handled amazingly well with super quick steering but the star of the show was the new turbo 1.5 triple it pulled like **** and sounded glorious...Triumph Triple noises in there somewhere.
If it wasn't so expensive and hearing rumours of issues with the Ecoboost engine it would be a no brainier to buy.

I had completely forgotten about the Pro'ceed GT until I spotted a three door GT-Line in the traffic one day and did some research, watching all the Youtube reviews and reading the test drives I thought I'd better check one out so last weekend I managed to get a test drive ( the dealer wouldn't play ball on the price so I walked )
it was a 17 plate car in Track Red, I must admit I was really impressed with it, more that enough power and torque, the brakes felt strong, the suspension was surprisingly well controlled with decent damping, the steering seemed OK not the best but not the worst either, as expected from a car in a class above the interior quality is a huge step up from my Swift.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To answer a few of your questions...

I'd be looking to buy a 2017-2018 car preferably in Fusion White (my Sport is Pearl White which I really like ) Track Red would be nice too red is my favourite car colour I've had thirteen of them.

My username is indeed taken from slang name "Clippie" for a Scottish bus conductress, I love this song -
[/URL]

Talking of Golf GTi's when I finished my apprenticeship in 1988 I treated myself to a brand new Tornado Red GTi 8v with teardrop alloys there wasn't many around at that time as they were quite expensive compared to the XR3i, 205 GTi and Astra GTE but built like tanks compared to those cars though...then in 1990 another red GTi 8v big bumper version.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My username is indeed taken from slang name "Clippie" for a Scottish bus conductress, I love this song - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNw_Vb5Z5dM"][/URL]
Ha! That's brilliant!

You were lucky to spot a GT, there aren't many about. So few that when one went past me on the motorway the driver flashed his lights and waved! According to howmanyleft there are 1,528 currently in the UK (GT, GT Tech and GT First Edition). Or, look it at another way: one every 161 miles, or one in every 20,615 cars!

Anyway, are you out looking this weekend?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've not had much time this weekend to have a look around to see what's new for sale.

I'am thinking Track Red might be the colour to go for I've missed having a red daily driver its been nine years since the last one.

More GT questions...

What is the servicing interval and costs.

Are the dealers any good or do you have to keep an eye on them to make sure everything is being done properly, I can't stand bad service from a dealer especially the high rates they charge.

It was mentioned the fuel consumption isn't great, I like to drive my cars hard so roughly what would I be looking at.

One thing I forgot to check out during the test drive was the audio system is it OK and does it have enough power.

I really appreciate the help lad's thanks...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Servicing is every 10k with (I think, I should know, but ashamed to admit I don't for certain) alternating major and minor services. Looking at the service history of one car at the dealers it was a pattern of £300 and £150, or something like that. My GT is the first car I've had in 15 years that's had a warranty so I'm just finding my way with main dealers. My only service so far has been a major. It makes me shudder how little they appear to do for the absorbent price they charge! "Check this, check that, check the other"!. But if you are used to such things, I imagine their servicing is broadly equivalent to Ford, Honda, Mazda etc. They do maintenance packages and their Approved and Assured used cars schemes are good.

If you are winding up that turbo you'll likely be looking at high twenties or low thirties at best. Driving like a saint with only minor tickling of the turbo I'm getting an average of just under 38mpg (calculated). Long motorway cruises in summer have got me a calculated 42mpg. Be aware the on-board meter is about 4% optimistic. To be honest, with peak torque available from 1500rpm (iirc on the facelift model) you don't have to get much boost on to make progress.

I don't really use the audio other than for the news, so I'm not best to advise on that!

·
Registered
289 Posts
As gdh mentioned, anything other than a saintly right foot returns sub 30 mpg. Our recent trip to londinium we got 32 both ways but half of the M1 is roadworks these days.
Servicing......well, see my thread in the ceed section. I'm not convinced on half of what they suggested to replace. I was also aggrieved that front discs apparently need replacing after 20k miles. Other than that, service from the garage has been fine.
Stereo wise, its loud enough but still a little lacking for my liking. You can certainly be comfortable at full volume but you're losing bass from 3/4 volume.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you are at all worried about costs don’t buy it. On a 100 mile trip I do regularly driving around 70 mph up to 80 I can get 38 to 40 mpg. Short journeys only for 2 weeks I am still getting low thirties. I am happy with this as I don’t do high mileage. If you drive it hard this will drop appreciably. I bought a 5 year service package £749 for 5 years which seems good value if I keep it that long. Stereo ok, but I only use the radio. If you buy Kia approved and the car is under 18 months old you will get a full 7 year warranty, which is very good. If you are into modding there is a lot people have done to their cars, not for me though as you need to be careful warranty wise. Things to look for include the foam breaking up in the seats in the older ones. It looks like snow on the floor. Diamond cut alloys are well known for corrosion, they are covered under warranty but if there are any rubs or chips on the alloy even if not in the same area they will reject a claim. You need to be careful getting in and out as the bolsters do wear. Roger

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good info thanks.

As with all dealer servicing its just oil and filter changes and a run through a check list...license to print money.

MPG isn't really a concern I'am used to poor fuel consumption with the Sport 30-35mpg usually.

The wheels is one part of the car I don't like I plan to change them for seven spokes wheels, here is a quick pic to see what it'll look like.

I've completely ruled out a Fiesta ST, a ST3 with a few extras came out at £23k for a Fiesta...Ford are having a laugh.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,137 Posts
You need to use genuine Kia parts (including filters and correct grade oil) whoever does the servicing (and keep the receipts) if you want to keep the 7 year warranty in place.
And make sure whoever has done the servicing before you bought the car has done the same!
If there was a Kia Servicing Package in place again it must have been done by a Kia dealer and receipts/service stamps be there in the book.

·
Registered
264 Posts
All good info thanks.

As with all dealer servicing its just oil and filter changes and a run through a check list...license to print money.

MPG isn't really a concern I'am used to poor fuel consumption with the Sport 30-35mpg usually.

The wheels is one part of the car I don't like I plan to change them for seven spokes wheels, here is a quick pic to see what it'll look like.

I've completely ruled out a Fiesta ST, a ST3 with a few extras came out at £23k for a Fiesta...Ford are having a laugh.
£23k for a car that might grenade itself any moment? And has a three year warranty? :surprise: I'd be getting a i30n if I had that money going!

Are they 18" you've put on there? I'm sure you'll find a home for the OEM wheels on here should you go ahead..

1 - 20 of 97 Posts