Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this? I have a 2007 5-speed 1.6 diesel and I find 5th is too low for motorway cruising.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have to say my 5 speed 2008 box was far better geared than my 2016 diesel 6 speed box, and would have a 5 speed Kia any day.
The 6 speed to me is all wrong, plus my 2008 was better on fuel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say my 5 speed 2008 box was far better geared than my 2016 diesel 6 speed box, and would have a 5 speed Kia any day.
The 6 speed to me is all wrong, plus my 2008 was better on fuel.
Really? my 07 is getting under 40mpg during the last couple of months. In the summer it's under 50mpg.

And imo on the motorway at 70mpg it shouldnt be over 2k rpm but it is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine was always 56 to 60 on motorways at 60 and in the 50s at 70 mph.
I find the 6 speed box all wrong around town and tend to stay in 3rd at 30mph.
It's fine on motorways.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was always 56 to 60 on motorways at 60 and in the 50s at 70 mph.
I find the 6 speed box all wrong around town and tend to stay in 3rd at 30mph.
It's fine on motorways.
I stay in 3rd at 30mph with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I found my 2008 LS absolutely fine at Motorway Speeds.
Never really drove it with economy in mind. Mid to High 40s

It is never going to be worth swapping the Box for a 6 Speed on a Car worth £1-2K

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you are thinking of a box transplantation then you should check the gear ratios to see if the 6th gear is actually a higher ratio. More gears does not necessarily a mean higher top gear ratio.

Personally i think 6 gears are too many for a manual car for every day use, there is just too much gear shifting required. 5 are enough, otherwise automatic.
If your top gear is too low for your motorway use then larger diameter wheels/tyres would be an easier option.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are thinking of a box transplantation then you should check the gear ratios to see if the 6th gear is actually a higher ratio. More gears does not necessarily a mean higher top gear ratio.

Personally i think 6 gears are too many for a manual car for every day use, there is just too much gear shifting required. 5 are enough, otherwise automatic.
If your top gear is too low for your motorway use then larger diameter wheels/tyres would be an easier option.
I disagree. 6 gears on a manual are so much better. If the gear spacing is too great then you often can't find a good gear on country roads. I I really don't like the engine revving to high on the motorway. Lower revs are quieter and tend to use less fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts