Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a rear 12v socket for these dvd portable headrests? i currently have the ones built into the actual headrests on my 5 series, but were a nightmare to install and would prefer something easier and that can be taken out and replacedwhen needed to amuse the kids ie on holidays, restaurants etcAny recommendations?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I'm going to have to install a 12v socket in the central console, still amazed there isn't one there.

My kids up their ipod touches. A bit small but they seems very happy.
We use a couple of mounts like these to attach the ipod touch to the headrest:
http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/bicycle-bike-phone-mount-clamp-holder-for-phone-pda-007502-005.html

And we have a Seagate GoFlex Satellite hard disk. Its 500Gb, costs about £150 so a bit steep. But we converted all the kids movies to Apple format, store them on the hard disk.
Fire up the hard disk and it created a wifi hotspot. The kids connect from their ipod touch and can then watch any movie on the hard disk. Seagate provide a free app to browse the movies.
The hard disk has a battery that lasts a few hours but we leave it plugged into the 12v socket in the boot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have just bought some 9" Nextbase Pro DVD players. The bigger screen have a higher resolution and are easier to see. But the 7" should be OK as well.
We had 7" Xtron replacement headrest DVD screens in our last car, which were quite good. They were easy to fit, as you just removed the original front headrests, and popped the replacement headrests in. All the wiring went into the seat void, so no wires were on show. I removed the seat backs, and connected the two seats together, and ran one power wire to the 12v socket in the arm rest. In total, they took less than an hour to install. They took ten minutes to remove when we sold the car.

I planned on getting the newer 9" touch screen Xtrons this time around. However, i soon learned that the Sportage uses "Active" head rests, and shouldn't be removed. I'm not sure if they can even be removed any way, as ours don't come out using the adjuster clamp. (i wanted to see if a warning light came on if removed etc)
Xtron do a headrest post mounting bracket/mount. Although not ideal, it does mean the wiring can be left in place, and the screens slotted in when needed. Two things held me back though. The headrest post bracket is plastic, so i'm not sure what would happen in a crash. Second, there have been reports that the Xtron 905 screens give off FM interference even when the FM transmitter is supposed to be off.

So this lead me to the NEXT BASE screens. They have been around a while, but the problem was still the safety of the mounting system. They have now come out with an extremely safe "Click and Go" system. The headrest mounts have been crash tested, and make fitting simple. The Sportage has odd shaped hearests, so i'm not sure how secure the standard Velcro/straps would fit on. So we ordered the headrest post "Stanchion" fitting kit. These clamp onto the actual headrest posts themselves. All the fittings are steel and have been crash tested. They do leave some wires on show, but once fitted you don't have to touch any wires again. The screens simply click in and out as needed. Our kit came with a handy storage bag to keep the screens safe.
The only downside to these screens is the lack of built in FM transmitter. We prefer to pipe the sound to the cars sound system. That way, we can control the volume level from the front. Next Base do a plug in module, but i'm wondering if it is for sale in the UK as nobody sells them. If not, we plan on getting a normal iPod type FMtransmitter, but that needs either power or batteries etc.

Nextbase do a cheaper "Lite" screen, but these are thicker and don't look as good. If you shop around, you can get the pro screens for less than the "Lite" one...

Edited by: fulabeer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,We are getting a new Sportage in 2 weeks and want to get a dual DVD player put in the back of the car for daughter and am now confused about the setup and the problems people have had.
Can anyone let me know which is the best one to buy and also if I need to get any additional fittings (and from where) - I obviously want it to be as safe as possible. I am new to this to any help / advice given is greatly appreciated
. Big Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.