Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening all
having drove the mrs new ride home from its previous owner (the scrap yard) i have found the problems. so for the next few weeks i will be sorting these out.
bodywork is fantastic and interior is nice and clean, but as we new it would, it has issues.
its an X reg 2litre petrol, in white. the previous owner has just replaced the fuel pump and it looks like sheared every screw getting the plate thing out. i wedged it down with some wood, wondering what to do next.
it will only start with half throttle and takes 3 or 4 turns, and runs a bit lumpy till it gets warm. i cleaned all the plugs up (looked like new) and compression tested it, at 100/65/85/130. does this point to head gasket probs?? or is compression within good values at that??
also leaking from thermostat housing, only a weep, but i fixed that.
the next issue is 4 x 4 dont engage, but this seems common on this forum so will cross that bridge when i get it running right.
funny thing is it has a bit of history and is tested till mid november and taked till end of month, so dont know why it was scrapped cos bodywork is really good.
anyhow, a mate has a diagnostic thingy so gonna play with that tomorrow and see if it tells me anything. any help or advice is appreciated
best wishes
jim

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't know what compression levels should be, but the 65 on number 2 is suspicious. In the old days, this would have indicated leakage past the piston rings - bore worn. Could be a broken piston ring or simply a leaking valve.

sounds like a head off job to check. Maybe that's why it was scrapped as cost of fixing was too much for last owner.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah quiltman, i was suspecting valves too. its done 95000 miles and to be honest looks well looked after,new oil filter and brake pads etc. so maybe the power loss was too much for the previous owner like you say, if he had a dealer quote. i will do the work myself, but just needed an idea of what it could be. i am thinking, head off, new gasket,new cambelt and re lap in the valves. hope this cures it .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I have the ame issue with the poor starting and I have been told it could be a knackered valve. How did yours pan out? I plan to do mine myself, will take the head off and maybe just send it off for repair if it is a valve.

Any other advice be good. Is there any instructions as to how to do a compression test and how to remove the head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts