Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Ceed SW 3 with 4021 miles on the clock.The main issue I have is when you start the car from cold after about 30 seconds a very loud rattle comes from the engine. First I thought it was the manifold cover but after the RAC looked at it there seemed to be an injector problem.
It went in to be repaired and it had to have a new starter moter, coil and alternator. I was told that they had updated the software for the fuel injectors as this was the cause of the rattle.

Within a week the rattle returned and now the dealer has said they can't hear it.
Also the front windows are in a world of there own. One day the nearside will auto close and the offside won't and then the following day the reverse happens. Why???

The car lacks power from cold and it sounds like a 40 year old Ice Cream van. Even the RAC man said it was louder than the van he arrived in :)

Anyone had this sort of problem? Is it normal for the car to rattle from cold? Maybe it's a new feature that reminds you it has an engine :)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Andy

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 60 plate 1.4 with 3000 on the clock. The wife drives it a few miles each day and concentrates on the fuel economy reading.....as a result we had the same issues you describe.

Cured both by:

1. completing a mid year oil change (Kia oil filter)

2. performing an 'Italian service', i.e. a very good thrash through the first 3 gears

If the car is not being driven it will coke up and feel sluggish/have flat spots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is the 1.6 CRDi. It's already had the upgrade for the injectors but it decided to reset itself back to the older settings after about 5 days.Also the windows in the front have a mind of there own. One day the both work using the auto close and other days one side or the other won't close. You have to keep your finger on the button.

Also had a nice rocking motion when sitting idle on the drive. Physically felt the car rock forwards and backwards while in park.
Had some problems with the starter & or the immobliser, turned the key and it just clicked. The dealer has fitted a new starter motor and coil as far as I am aware.

I use the car everyday and although low milage I did carry out a 90 mile round trip the other day.
The car was horrible to drive and feels as if it is lacking in power.

Waiting on an ECU upgrade that the dealer say's is in the process of being produced. But I have no idea what this is going to resolve as the car shows no error codes when they plug it in to the test machine.

Waiting to hear from the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HI<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

You do not say if your car is manual or automatic? The automatic, which
I have, has an inherent fault on the firmware which, as of last week there is
still no conclusive fix for yet. There are several threads on this forum about
the injector problem. On the Hyundai Forums, the i30 which uses the same engine
as the Cee'd, has the same problem. Hyundai UK found a fault with the factory
fitted injectors. Apparently the factory fitted ones were too short; they did
not screw all the way into the chamber, leaving a small gap at the bottom of
the barrel. Consequently fuel was pushed up the barrel and not igniting properly.
This caused poor starting. They now fit Bosch injectors of the right thread length
and the fault has gone.

I have lived with this fault for over a year now. Mine like yours, had
only done 4000 miles but one person on this form had done about 18000 miles
before the fault started.

packman[Cee'd 3 CRDI SW AUTO2010 model]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response packman, mine is in fact the automatic version and the fault appeared after about 3 months of picking it up from the dealer.It has been back since and I was told the injectors had been updated, but I wonder if this is in fact the case. I will go to a garage near me and get it checked and maybe they can tell me what make/type the injectors are that have been fitted.

Once again thanks for the info, at least I know now that it is a known fault.

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An Update!
I just called my local Kia dealer and have been told there is no fix available at the moment and that Kia are in fact working on it. Seems odd he never mentioned this 12 months ago :)
So the fix in the meantime is to reprograme the injectors using the old codes. This will then get rid of the fault for upto 2000 miles.
If it returns within this time I was told to return the car and they would do it again?

I don't really want to have to visit the dealer once a month to have this done as it is just stupid.
So I have told them what is going to happen next.
If the update is not available by next Friday 12th August the car will be returned to the dealer. Then they will be asked to supply a car fit for the purpose and they can keep mine until it is fixed.

I have spent a lot more on fuel because of this and I don't see why we should have to pay because there car has a KNOWN fault.

I will keep you updated. Oh and they also state that they fit Bosch injectors as standard at the factory, so he said he did not understand why they would need changing to another Bosch type.

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**UPDATE**
Had a call from the dealer yesterday telling me that the ECU fix for the 2010 Ceed SW 3 Auto is now available. From what I can make out this is to fix the ECU issues causing poor running from cold and the knocking that comes from the engine on a cold start.

Not holding my breath but my car is going in at 11.30am today and it's coming back at 3.30pm.
Please god they fix it this time as I am fed up with taking it back for repairs. 4373 miles only :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi AndySounds like good news, except I just rang my local Kia garage and they can not see it on their support screen!!
Keep us informed about the fix i.e did it work and is there a technical report on it. I hope my garage just has not seen it yet and it is not a "beta" fix which Kia UK has sent to your garage. This is a in progress fix, which a customer at my garage was given six weeks ago. I really hope Iam wrong.

packman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Morning Packman :)
Ok the update was applied yesterday. Sadly when I started the car this morning the rattle returned.
As did the whistle coming from the turbo. I called the dealer and they said they road tested it and theres nothing wrong.
Either they are deaf or I am hearing things.........lol

Will update you later as I am now calling several Kia Dealers to see if this update is showing anywhere else. lets hope the dealer has not told me this just to keep me quiet and in fact they installed the older software. If they have it will reset in 2000 miles anyway.

I let you know later :)

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts