1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just bought a sportage crdi AWD 2013 full service history 44000 miles
What sort of MPG are you getting?
I drive it like a grandad but is still returning only 36 on duel carriageways or 30 in town is this normal?
what sort of MPG are you getting?
Are there any tips to improve it?

Many thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I drive it like a grandad but is still returning only 36 on duel carriageways or 30 in town is this normal?
Welcome to the forum, 'Davedingle'.

Although I am a granddad, I'm not sure exactly how granddads are supposed to drive but I feel bound to ask, what sort of fuel consumption do you expect to get from a 2-ton brick with AWD?

One of my sons drove the same model as you for a while and he rarely ever got the figures you quote. As 'BIRDMAN' has suggested, your mpg seems realistic although it might be possible to squeeze out a few more mpg if one were to deliberately drive in such a fashion as to win a prize in an economy test.

Not so many years ago, such figures would have been deemed excellent in some small family cars, indeed, my 1960s Mini didn't achieve a great deal more than your car is returning. I wasn't a granddad in those days, mind you!:)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It's a lump of a car, pulling a lump of AWD system, so probably not the best combination.

My commute consists of 10 miles urban with 15 miles of slow stop start motorway (morning)
24 miles of free flowing motorway with a few miles urban (afternoon)
I tend to drive about 60mph on the motorway

My 2012 model 1.7d 2wd, averaged 53mpg.
My 2016 2.0d AWD averages 46mpg doing exactly the same run at the same time of day.

Nothing has changed regards the commute and me being a few years older, only the car has changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All

Many thanks in advance
Dave
Thanks for the reply guys

Ive been driving a 2.0 diesel passat for the last 7 years so used to getting high 40s
Anyone tried one of those ECU swaps do they help get me to 40ish MPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2012 2.0 awd and my display at the moment states 39.7mpg. I get about 380 miles or so before the warning light pops on. My commute is mainly back country roads so a lot of different speeds. on motorway journeys cruising at 70mph I believe I have got higher but I couldn't tell you the mpg figure. I need to fill up this weekend so I may look at my figures a bit closer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

Many thanks in advance
Dave
Hi Dave don't over look your brakes I put new pads on my 17 crdi back in October just before mot thought no more of it put the car in for mot was told that the hand brake was low on n side on further investigation by dealer the said the cable has seezed it was replaced under warranty while they had the wheels off the car they told me I had binding brakes and asked if I wanted them cleaning and relubed I declined thinking they were at it no further investigation by my self the brakes were binding so I picked up some second hand calipers orderd new seals and piston's plus new slides rebuilt the calipers fitted them last weekend the car was doing 43 mpg it's now getting 48 mpg and is still improving I might add my commute is poor as I drive the m8 Glasgow to Edinburgh which anyone will confirm is more like city driving stop start aye more stop than start

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ps best thing you could do is pick up an infrared temperature gun take your Sportage fore a run somewhere quite
Hi Dave don't over look your brakes I put new pads on my 17 crdi back in October just before mot thought no more of it put the car in for mot was told that the hand brake was low on n side on further investigation by dealer the said the cable has seezed it was replaced under warranty while they had the wheels off the car they told me I had binding brakes and asked if I wanted them cleaning and relubed I declined thinking they were at it no further investigation by my self the brakes were binding so I picked up some second hand calipers orderd new seals and piston's plus new slides rebuilt the calipers fitted them last weekend the car was doing 43 mpg it's now getting 48 mpg and is still improving I might add my commute is poor as I drive the m8 Glasgow to Edinburgh which anyone will confirm is more like city driving stop start aye more stop than start
Hi All

Many thanks in advance
Dave
Ps Dave get a infrared temperature gun drive on a country road or a quote section of road that you don't have to use your brakes on then park up and take the temperature of all your disks if you have been off the brakes you should see low temperatures if there's a spike on say one or more there's your problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Simmy
I'll look into it and let you know

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Dave

Filled up my car at the weekend and did some calculations to work out my MPG. This combines my daily commute which is country roads and a lot of stop starting with a mix of a trip cruising on the m1. I am averaging just over 39mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dave

Filled up my car at the weekend and did some calculations to work out my MPG. This combines my daily commute which is country roads and a lot of stop starting with a mix of a trip cruising on the m1. I am averaging just over 39mpg.
Hi
Thanks for the reply
Think im going to have a look at the brakes to see if they are binding and if they are ok think ill start pushing around lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
  1. Just an update mpg figure has risen from 43 mpg to 52 over the last 7 days without pressing the reset on dash
  2. Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    Think im going to have a look at the brakes to see if they are binding and if they are ok trhink ill start pushing around lol
    Visit bigg red for seal kits and pistons don't do what I did I went to auto doc. waft

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Simmy/all
Found the problem YAY!
Both front calliper's were sticking So I greased them up and now reading 41 which I'm we happy with.
Anyone else getting low 30s it might be worth checking your brakes out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts