Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone thought about tuning their 20 or 1.7 crdi engine?

Given the greater power and torque availability in the US with the same engine i have been looking into it.

The claimed figures for a medium plug in map is pushing the bhp/torque from 134bhp/320Nm to 164bhp/393Nm also with an mpg increase of 4-6 mpg.

You can also choose a modified map for more power should you wish but i don't see the point in that... (177bhp/443Nm)

I had a chat with my Kia salesman and he said that he had a friend running a Sportage who had used this device with great results. He also said that if you remove the unit before servicing they are non the wiser and can not detect its installation on the diagnostics.

Given the engine in the US is running around 180bhp i can see an issue with the running gear, but having never done this to a vehicle before i am a little dubious.




Given the poor mpg figures when compared with the kia figures im more interested in economy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

P.S i hope you all enjoying your cars i have a white kx-3 sat nav which i have had the luxury of paying for but haven't driven yet. The better half picked it up last week and i'm not home for another 2wks....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Kia don't produce mpg figures - my 2.0 FE diesel has done 15000 miles and is averaging 37 mpg - very marginally under the accepted combined cycle figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
As you can see from my signature i sell the PowerBox Tuning System, a re-mappable Digital tuning box with remote control.
We have sold thousands to Kia brands alone and i own several myself all fitted with this.

The extra torque makes the vehicle a smoother and more economical suv to drive, no low and high flat spots, and can be turned off/on with the remote. The cabling is the same as the oe in vehicle and it can be hidden away. It takes 10 mins to remove if requires and it will not show on the Kia diagnostics or will it effect emmisions.

There are 9 different programmes stored in the software, where you can select from a gentle power increase upto a max power gain...9 different power curves....

If you have time, take a look at my website on foot of page..



Taff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I have had my Peugeot 407 remapped professionaly on a rolling road, went from 136bhp to 167bhp and similar gain in torque, this was done when it had only covered 4,500 miles. Now done 112,000 miles and still gets 54mpg on a good motorway run ;)


I would seriously consider it if I get the Sportage (1.7 diesel). Only problem I would have is it is likely to be a lease hire car, so technically not mine......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
When you say its easy to remove, how idiot proof is it to remove? I would want it to be easy and fool proof for people like myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
I've used both a tuning box and a proper remap on my car (not a KIA.)

The beauty of the tuning box is that it is very easy to fit and remove. You pull apart one connector (for the fuel rail pressure sensor) on the engine loom and plug both ends into the plugs and socket on the tuning box. That is it.

This is the box I would recommend. They are made in the UK and the guy that makes them has a solid, no bull, reputation.

Synergy CR

If you buy it and don't like it you can send it back for a refund. If you change your car you can send it back and they will fit new connectors and reset the unit to suit the new car.

Don't bother paying extra for the remote switch. It can only be used when the engine is turned off so you might as well lift the bonnet.



Edited by: Techno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Techno said:
I've used both a tuning box and a proper remap on my car (not a KIA.)



The beauty of the tuning box is that it is very easy to fit. You pull apart one connector (for the fuel rail pressure sensor) on the engine loom and plug both ends into the plugs and socket on the tuning box. That is it.




This is the box I would recommend. They are made in the UK and the guy that makes them has a solid, no bull, reputation.




Synergy CR




If you buy it and don't like it you can send it back for a refund. If you change your car you can send it back and they will fit new connectors and reset the unit to suit the new car.




Don't bother paying extra for the remote switch. It can only be used when the engine is turned off so you might as well lift the bonnet.





Ive go that Roverron synergy box on our Freelander, works well! (Yes, both our vehicles are tuned turbo diesels
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Blue407 said:
Ive go that Roverron synergy box on our Freelander, works well! (Yes, both our vehicles are tuned turbo diesels
)

Aha! Great minds think alike... although I ended up wanting even more power (as you do) so removed the Roverron box and got the ECU remapped.


Edited by: Techno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The beauty of the plug and play box is that you are not changing any component part of the original car and therefore you will not affect youwarranty. If you are worried about it, should your vehicle go in for a service you can remove the box in around 10 mins. The fact that you have had the box installed is notvisibleon the enginediagnostics. Should you choose to go for a ECU replace/remap you are changing a component part of the car which is then detectable via diagnostics and you will affect your warranty. Given the fact a large selling point of all kia's is their extensive 7 yr warranty i imagine most would not want to do that.

The two boxes i have been looking at are Chip Express and Tunit V-CR. Both of which if you go to a dealer with a rolling road you can have mapped to your engine. Alternatively you can just plug and play.

These units are around £400 to £500. Given an average increase in economy of around 15% (some people state 20%) on a 36mpg car, doing 12k a year you would save £266 a yr (based on a fuel cost of £1.35 a ltr). Ignoring the pleasure of having a car with alot more torque and power.

As i have just got my sportage i am thinking i will leave it a few thousand miles before i start to play but i just wanted to get peoples thoughts.

If anyone does get it done to a 2.0 CRDi please let me know how you get on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
PRO-BITZ.CO.UK box £99. Thats more like it. Had it tried it and it DOES work

There is no way I would pay £400 plus for a tuning box when you can get a remap for £300 Bl**dy ludicrous




Edited by: davy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
Bear in mind that the power and fuel savings on these boxes are often wildlyexaggeratedby their sellers.

I did quite a few internet searches before deciding which box to buy. A recurring complaint on forums was that many of the boxes did not produce anything like the advertised power increases whenindependentlytested on a rolling road.

Edited by: Techno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
I can only comment on the Pro-Bitz one I had on my Rio diesel and for £99 it was well worth the money and performance gains were excellent. I never had it on the rolling road to see the actual HP gain but my Butt dyno said it was very good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
What sort of effect does it have on your insurance premium?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
MaybeKIA said:
What sort of effect does it have on your insurance premium?

Oddly enough, it makes it go up. I have never found an insurer that didn't hike the premium and, believe me, I've looked hard. :)

Take the increased mpg claims with a pinch of salt too. The boxes work by modifying the output from the fuel rail pressure sensor to the engine ECU. Unfortunately, this also means that the trip computer gets fooled into thinking that the car is using less fuel. It probably isn't, especially if you actually use the extra power that the box gives. The only way to get an accurate measure is to brim the fuel tank every time and compare this to the odometer reading, preferably over several tank fills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
dicko said:
The beauty of the plug and play box is that you are not changing any component part of the original car and therefore you will not affect youwarranty. If you are worried about it, should your vehicle go in for a service you can remove the box in around 10 mins. The fact that you have had the box installed is notvisibleon the enginediagnostics. Should you choose to go for a ECU replace/remap you are changing a component part of the car which is then detectable via diagnostics and you will affect your warranty. Given the fact a large selling point of all kia's is their extensive 7 yr warranty i imagine most would not want to do that.



The two boxes i have been looking at are Chip Express and Tunit V-CR. Both of which if you go to a dealer with a rolling road you can have mapped to your engine. Alternatively you can just plug and play.




These units are around £400 to £500. Given an average increase in economy of around 15% (some people state 20%) on a 36mpg car, doing 12k a year you would save £266 a yr (based on a fuel cost of £1.35 a ltr). Ignoring the pleasure of having a car with alot more torque and power.




As i have just got my sportage i am thinking i will leave it a few thousand miles before i start to play but i just wanted to get peoples thoughts.




If anyone does get it done to a 2.0 CRDi please let me know how you get on





If you are only getting 36mpg out of a 2.0 diesel, you have a problem




My Peugeot, which was professionaly remapped, does do more MPG than standard. But I probably use the increased power more as well, so it pretty much cancels itself out. However on a run I can still get 55MPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Mine is only getting around 36mpg at present.

2.0 AWD Auto KX3

Only done 270 miles though, that sound ok?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm getting 32.7mpg at present from the first 270 miles. Or should i say my wife is and she drives like Miss Daisy. 90% of that is little in town trip though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
I average 35mpg out of a 275 bhp two ton Chrysler... and I don't drive it slowly!

I was having a bit of adilemmaover whether to order a 2.0 or a 1.7 but I think the mpg and the waiting time has decided for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Anybody put anything like this on the 1.7 CRDi ?


I'm interested in the "none detectable" version. Does it give any increased power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
mattbianco1 said:
Anybody put anything like this on the 1.7 CRDi ?


I'm interested in the "none detectable" version. Does it give any increased power?

Yes, most of them increase the power to a degree. Some are better than others (higher price doesn'tnecessarilymean better) In most cases though, you need to take the power increase claims with a pinch of salt.

Some of the less sophisticated tuning boxes will cause the engine to go into limp mode if you turn them up too high. This may be recorded as a fault that can be detected. It won't specifically state that you have had a tuning box fitted but it wouldn't take an Einstein to work it out from the symptoms.

Try the one I linked to. It won't put your engine into limp mode and if you don't like the results you can send it back.

Oh, if you do buy one, post up your experiences on here.
 
1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Top