Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at last KIA confirmed to myself Yes there is a Fault with all the Sat navs fitted in the sporatge.There are 3 faults here they are.
1 The unit was built to take full Postal codes,Verdict IT DOES NOT
2 The Sat Nav Voice comand control will not increase Thus The Volume on the voice Is Bearly Heard
VERDICT FAULT
3 To Pair your phone through theaddresssystem so to add all your contacts to the command centre,will not work,i must first state there are a list of phones that KIA will send you or print off,That seems strange because today i spent 3 hours at the carphone warehouse ,who told me you have a 2011 car,most of the phones listed are dated and are no longer stocked by anyone,WORK THAT ONE OUT,i even tried a up to date 200 pound sony android ,this did have a confirmed firmware code,NO DID NOT WORK,VERDICT FAULT.
KIA tell me the company are working on firmware updates ,but as of today they are in a very early stage,that means it could be months even longer.The car should be recalled as KIA are still selling the sportage even though there is a known fault with no cure,its fraud.
Vedict a grteat looking car with great feul cumsumsion but do not be fooled into wasting your money on a Nav 3 that is faulty,ask to see it working first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry your having issues. Works fine for me. Postcode thing doesn't bother me just stuck in 3 characters and bang in the street name. Wallop. Job done. Phone seems fine too. Occasionally I have some trouble with the sound on the Bluetooth when on a phone call. Don't know what this is. Will see how it plays out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Rockfan!

I've been battling with Kia about the radio since I picked up my car in May! It keeps freezing when connecting to my phone. For the first couple weeks it was fine, connected as it should do and sync'd all contacts including facebook contacts, then it started freezing so I did a bit of googling and came up with a hyundai forum saying that the radio in the IX35 will freeze if the phone uses facebook for contacts. So I disabled facebook and it worked 9 times out of 10 (better than nothing!). Finally about a month ago Kia decided there must be a problem with the unit that was installed and replaced it under warranty. I wasn't even a mile away from the garage when it froze again! So the garage contacted Kia who said I must've been using an internet app on the phone while it was connected to the radio - not while driving I don't think!! Anyway I disabled all internet connections on the phone and yes, it does still freeze! Lately it's been coming up with a rather interesting error message - 'Program memory is critically low. You must select one task to terminate or increase the amount of program memory.'

So as well as the faults you're experiencing kia have also failed to make sure there's enough memory in the unit to carry out all the tasks it's supposed to!!!

I'm feeling that I've given Kia more than enough time to rectify my problems - for the price of a KX3-nav they should be jumping over backwards to please me!! I'm thinking of asking for a partial refund for the £2000 difference between a KX3-nav and a standard KX3 seeing as the only difference is the bit that isn't working!

·
Registered
101 Posts
if kia & co are working on a firmware update then you will have to wait for that...

how many electronics are being made these days with no software bugs in it? just have a look at microsoft's vista... just google for "pioneers avic f900bt problems"
both not the smallest companies in the world...

it's marketing pressure what counts these days, i know as i'm working in the (games) software industry.

so, as long as kia admits there is afault(read bugs in thesoftware)and updates will be made you should be fine on the long run.
sure you will get frustrated of not having a fully working satnav deck at the moment but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by: bitman

·
Registered
18 Posts
My two penneth here:

The Nav unit is completely and utterly useless and not fit for purpose.

I can't use my phone with it (HTC Desire HD) as it completely locks up the Nav unit requiring a fuse pull to reset, I think it's a clue that the only easily removed fuse is the one for the Nav unit. After the reset all the trip\fuel counters are also reset.

The TMC doesn't work, it's shown on the screen but Kia haven't purchased the license and won't from what I have been told by customer service.

The mapping is way out of date and half the time it sends you on the most stupid routes, then changes it's mind and sends you back where you have just been, the lack of TMC and and the complete inability to function is really annoying me. My 57 Qashqai nav had none of these problems despite being old technology.

The lack of TMC has cost me in excess of £1500 in unbillable time whilst sat in traffic. How the hell can they justify an "ecodynamics" model where the lack of TMC causes you to burn fuel whilst stationary, don't start on the "autostart" as anything over a couple of minutes it reverts to manual. As for the sat nav sending you round the large block because it doesn't have a scooby is completely unacceptable.

I think we all need to get together and notify the motoring press how bad this unit is. To be honest I have been researching a decent stand alone unit with TMC and working bluetooth and anything decent is £500 ish, and THEN i have the windscreen marks, having to remove the unit etc which is why I bought the NAV in the first place.

Jon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since my first post i have had 2 more new sat nav units fitted to help resolve the many failing issues,again none of them work,both are faulty phone wont pair up,address book fails,Muff/mic on calls,stupid map issues,I have also been toldOfficiallythat the JAGUAR XF uses the same Nav System,And again they arehavingthe same problems.AND THATS A BLOODY JAG,i know this because i went to the show room yesterday and pretended to be a customer,i was told this first hand from a member of staff,he said this is the car for you ,but there is a slight issue with the navigation system,but dont worry jaguar are dealing with it.
He explained the partial post codes,the issue with pair up and address book,also the mapping.
NOW WHAT A cASE WE HAVE,we should all demand the £2000 back paid to kia for a number of faults they are fully aware of and liable,still selling these cars to the customers with known faults,and god only knows when a better unit willescalate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
and also jaquar still sells them...

update:

in the netherlands they gota kiafirmware update;

navigatie systeemsoftware 5.1.3, total 2,83gb on a USB stick

this update fixes;

bluetooth software

systeemsoftware
map database speed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is it any good?

I have now had enough of the Sat Nav, it's completely and utterly useless. All the settings are correct for using fast routes, main roads etc. Today was the final straw, Slough to Dartford all 3 routes sent me through central London so turned head nav on and went M4\M25 which of clear takes about an hour yet the POS NAV was trying to send me on a route it said would take an hour and 30 mins which would definitely take longer, if the bloody TMC worked the nav unit would know that.

On the way back there were a lot of delays on the M25 which TMC *if it worked* should have routed me round; anyway I came off the M25 to come back via A roads and the bloody NAV tried several times to take me back to the M25 despite never wanting to originally. I didn't have a map in the car so just followed signs towards somewhere I knew how to get back from. The NAV finally decided to help and once again tried sending me on the stupidest routes.

I love the car but am completely and utterly pi**ed of with how crap the NAV unit is and am going to buy a Garmin nüvi® 3790Twhich will actually do what I want and has the TMC feed that will prevent me sitting in traffic and not send me on silly routes. The NAV on my Qashqai was excellent, didn't do full postcodes but worked really well and had TMC.

I have been investigating "Fit for purpose" in relation to the Sales of Goods act and will be initially approaching the dealer to resolve and also requesting the difference between the NAV and non NAV version as a refund to cover the cost of the Garmin and loss of billable time.

Here is the list from ITIS of all UK models currently supplied with the TMC service, even the Toyota Yaris has it enabled!!!!!! yet the £25k 3 Nav doesn't thanks to Kia :(

http://www.itisholdings.com/wcore/showdoc.asp?id=689

Cheers,

Jon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
it's not as slick and easy to use as my navigon software on the iPhone but it has an antenna on the roof meaning it works better. For the routes I've tried it's given me what I expected. Couldn't say if TMC works. It's certainly "lit up" in the settings and on the rout screen but I haven't used it in anger yet. Will try it on the way to work on monday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is still NO available update in the UK,yes we all want and are waiting for this USB but yes spoke to a guy at kiaNetherlandsthe update there is forEuropeonly. Yes we are inEuropealso, but again i meanEuropeNOT THE UK,theUKversion will be adifferentfirmware update,but as of today no dates or time,if it is like my last car ,that took 2 years and i never saw it.The only way forward is to kick off with the dealer so they log theissuewith Kia,if you phone Kia direct they FOB you offstatingthey are aware of the issue butdon'tknow what or when this will happen,BUT THEY STILL SELL US THE CARS.speak to each other and complain demand compensation ,refund of the unit£2000 stick together they sell to us with known faults thats fraud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since I live in the UK and have a UK sportage with the 5.1.3 software on it. I can tell you you're wrong, there is an update.

However...
TMC doesn't work still
The POI database does suck.
It's not immediately apparent how to add a way point on your journey (I haven't spent much time trying to figure this one out since I was driving at the time.)
no 7 digit postcode support.

In short even if you got the update you'd still not be impressed by it.

It's only fraud if they make specific claims that it can do these things and I know for sure that the brochure doesn't list these as features. My dealer never promised it would be capable and TBH I never expected much from a manufacturer installed navigation unit. Browse any car forum for any make and you'll see everybody complains about the navigation packages and the lack of updates.

Car manufacturers just aren't geared up for this kind of "ship the beta and fix with a patch later" mentality that modern electronics companies have.

I wish you luck in your campaign for restitution but hold little hope you'll achieve anything more than wasting your time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a friend who is a top Barrister who is writing to Kia on my behalf, hopefully they don't try and take the piss out of him as he loves a good fight :)

The unit is still crap, not fit for purpose and did I mention crap!!

Jon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"The unit is still crap, not fit for purpose and did I mention crap!!"

I agree completely - the unit is crap. That's why I didn't opt for it when I made my model choice. After a run through with the dealer it was obviously not worth the extra. What prompted you to pay extra for such a piece of crap ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts