Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
If anyone has any advice - I would be forever grateful...
I have a Kia Picanto GT Line (68 plate). A couple of weeks ago, I was driving the car and it cut out. It immediately started up again and then as soon as I took the handbrake off/put it in gear again - it would cut out. I started revving the engine and got the car moving but after a few seconds - it would cut out. After a few cut outs - all the warning lights came on. It continued to cut out but I managed to drive a couple of miles to my house. I booked it in with Kia and it then drove fine to the garage. The garage couldn’t find any faults with it (never showed anything on diagnostic) and then returned it to me. After a week - it did it again. I returned it to the garage and after a week - they said they can’t find anything wrong with it and aren’t prepared to keep my car any longer. Does anyone know what this could be or have any advice
I don’t want the car anymore as it’s unsafe to drive and I’m scared in case it cuts out on the motorway but Kia are pressuring me to take it back. I know it will do it again as they haven’t done anything to fix it.

please help - but can you speak in simple terms as my car knowledge is poor...
Thanks
Jenny

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't know if this is of any help but my daughter had a similar problem with a Rio. It was an automatic and it would cut out sometimes when it was put into "drive". Other times it was OK. It turned out to be a faulty battery which she had replaced and it cured the problem. It might just be a coincidence but perhaps you could get a garage to check your battery just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, just picked up my car. They said they need evidence of it cutting it out. So I have bought a dash cam and will hopefully get it on camera. It’s appalling though - as it’s like they don’t believe me as it won’t show on their diagnostics so they can’t do anything...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Don't take it personally, while it sounds like they don't believe you, what they mean is without proof they won't get authorisation from kia to do anything. It's not them, it's kia who control the purse strings.

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
A couple of basic checks before you drive any further.
Check that both battery terminals are tight and clean.
Check earth lead is tight at both ends and making good contact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice - I really appreciate it. I am however completely rubbish with cars and just about know how to pop up the bonnet and put screen wash in it! But thanks all the same - next time I’m at my dads - I’ll get him to do it!! I have however brought a dash cam and will hopefully get some proof so they take the problem more seriously! Cheers, Jen

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
Not so sure a dash cam will prove much as you really need something pointing at the dash to see it shut down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s a good point! The Kia garage said to buy one. Maybe I can position it somewhere... I have recommended to stay off the motorway as it doesn’t have a hard shoulder and last time it cut out about ten times in About two miles! Absolutely terrifying... sorry to keep asking - do you have any other hints/tips/suggestions?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The fact that the car is behaving likethis but nothing comes up on the diagnostics is completely bewildering. Like others I'd be looking at some sort of fundamental electrical issue that actually causes even the ECU to lose power (and thus possibly not log a fault).

I know the 2017 JA Picanto I bought for a family member starting cutting out in a similar way as described by the OP. But in that case when I connected the diagnostic device, it came up with a faulty coil on the third cylinder.

One thing I would criticise Kia over is their wiring looms and their overall approach to ensuring certain critical elements are kept 100% protected from the elements including ingress of water. To me it is the one thing that makes Kia stand out from other companies like Mazda and Toyota who in my experience pay more attention to stuff like that.

In my own example cited above, that faulty coil was actually caused by moisture getting into the coil itself - the design of the valve cover and the relative lack of moisture proofing allowed that part of the engine to almost act like a leaking bath tub. The first thing I did when buying my own Picanto was to remove each coil and replace it after adding a dielectric sealant to the bottom of the rubber boots where they mate with the valve cover. Yes, Kia did use the same or similar during manufacture, but barely any at all. First car detailer to try and clean a Picanto engine without being aware of this shortcoming will create an engine running soon enough on minus one or more cylinders!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts