Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed earlier that the pipe leading from the expansion bottle cap towards the radiator isn't connected to anything, is that correct or has it detached from somewhere?

2005 2.9CDTi if it matters.

·
Registered
912 Posts
It most likely should be connected to a small connection just below the radiator cap. The radiator probably wont be full if this is the case. take a look inside when it is cold just to be sure. You could even blow thru the hose to confirm it's not blocked. it shouldn't come off. Check that the cap is not defective.

Is this a pressurized expansion bottle, by the way?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure if the expansion bottle is/should be pressurised. The radiator itself doesn't have a cap, but fills from near the top of the engine. There is a pipe running from next to the cap there to the expansion bottle cap, but there's another pipe right next to it coming from the expansion bottle cap, the other end isn't connected to anything

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Could it be the pressure relief/overflow pipe?. Somewhere there will be a means of venting the system to prevent catastrophic over pressure. They are usually open.

If you are not losing coolant then there is no problem.

·
Registered
912 Posts
So if I understand this correctly:
  • The radiator cap is on the end of the motor near the oil filler cap.
  • There is a small ca 8-10mm dia hose from just below the radiator cap going to the expansion bottle cap.
  • There is another small hose from the cap connected to nothing
The above sounds correct for that car.
To check it, mark the level of fluid on the expansion tank when stone cold with a felt pen.
Check again when warm, the level should be higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I understand this correctly:
  • The radiator cap is on the end of the motor near the oil filler cap.
  • There is a small ca 8-10mm dia hose from just below the radiator cap going to the expansion bottle cap.
  • There is another small hose from the cap connected to nothing
The above sounds correct for that car.
To check it, mark the level of fluid on the expansion tank when stone cold with a felt pen.
Check again when warm, the level should be higher.
Yeah that's correct. It's what I assumed, but just wanted to make sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts