Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone, I pick up my 09 Carens CDTi GS (uk model, not some strange USA Canada thing) tomorrow. 19k on the clock, one lady owner.

I've been looking through some posts to keep an eye out for possible issues ... but one is particularly puzzling. Does mine have an AUX input for connecting up my phone/mp3 player? Some say there is one in the center arm rest but I didnt see it when I test drove it ......

Oh and whats the average mpg you lot get please, unloaded car on motorway.

Anyone? Please?

Many Thanks
Phil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the forum big Dawg!I also have an 09 Carens - LS Auto.49,000 on clock.

Couple of points;
1. Make sure it's had all the upgrades to the software - latest is called CAMPAIGN 110011 - see thread on "Carens surging".
2. Check it's had the EGR body changed to the latest version - released about 12 months ago.

The usb/AUX sockets are in the bottom half of the armrest/console together with a power outlet. They do have a cover over them and are not easy to see if the light is a bit dim! I use a flash drive on the USB and it works perfectly. Don't ever use phone in car whilst driving but don't think you can connect a phone via these sockets,well maybe from the headphone socket to the AUX input if you need to play music from the phone etc.

I do volunteer ambulance driving and average 500 miles a week on a mix of town, A roads and dual carriageways normally with 4 up,max speed around 60/65 mph, and my monthly average is 42/44 MPG so with a manual you should get a little more. Be aware that round town you'll be lucky to get 30mpg as diesels are not designed for this kind of short start stop use.
I only use top grade diesel - Total Excellium or Shell V power and the car definitely runs smoother on it.

I'm sure others will come on and offer you more advice!
Enjoy the Carens ,it's a great vehicle now KIA seem to have sorted the EGR problem.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quiltman, Thanks for the top reply. Top bloke. I do not trust the dealer I have bought the Carens from so will nip it into the Kia dealership to have them check it over me thinks.

Cheers for the heads up on the aux jacks. I only plan to plug the headphone jack from my phone into the aux input, I'll have a mess about sometime (being a techy type) of installing a usb bluetooth dongle to the usb input in the console and streaming music that way.

Many Thanks
Phil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Big Dawg,

Pleased to be of help.
Forgot to say that points 1 & 2 above should be covered by the warranty as the good thing with KIA is that the warranty goes with the car - not the owner as per the Vauxhall so called lifetime warranty.
As it's a 2009 model you get 5 years warranty from new - not 7 as the later ones got - but it is an unlimited mileage warranty. The 7 year warranties are for max 100K miles.

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Cheers,

Gary

As I gather that you haven't bought from a KIA dealer then you also need to check that the service/s have been done by a VAT registered garage and KIA approved oils/parts have been used otherwise KIA will try and wriggle out of warranty claims!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gary, Thanks for your replies. Well I did 50 miles in her yesterday and am quite impressed. Shame there isnt some of the interior options my mazda 6 had but my carens is all about economy and fitting a family in,....

Mine is the GS 09 but I cannot find any usb/aux input in thecentreconsole (arm rest thing). There is a 12v outlet deep at the bottom but no aux, very very peed off to be honest. Nothing in the manual either. I'll have to get one retro fitted.

The carens has had 2 services (it's got 19.200k) according to the log book and both done at a kia garage at perrys preston. So I should be ok for anywarrantywork, although I'm taking it to Kia Bolton as it is not a franchise, there is just a wiff about perrysPrestonthat I do not like. Thats a personal opinion!

Phil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Phil,

glad you're impressed! As it's been serviced by a KIA dealer you should be OK but Bolton will tell you if it's had all the updates.

Re the lack of AUX/USB connectors - strange! I've just called my brother in law who has a GS manual, 09 model registered in January last year. He says his has the connectors!! Mind you he has the underseat tray on the passenger side that my supposedly better equiped model doesn't! Typical that manufacturers keep changing the specs and the supplying dealer carries no responsibility as the contracts say vehicle may differ from specs in brochures etc!

Can't check on the KIA UK site as specs only relate to latest version and I didn't keep copy of my original spec list. You may be able to check by the radio - if it has an AUX button (CD on other side of switch) then it assumes there is an AUX connector? The US versions have an AUX socket in the actual radio on some models but I've never seen one here.

At least it looks like the vehicle has been properly maintained!

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gary, Nope, no aux jacks. I'm looking into an after market audio system that has an aux jack or will get my local car audio shop to see if the stereo I have can be fitted with an aux, although the stereo does not have an aux button so I'm not holding my breath. My carens has a passenger under seat tray and reverse sensor. I'm guessing the sensor was requested by the original buyer.

The carens is indeed mint, been well looked after.

Phil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hmmm,

I've just looked in my manual and all the radios shown have an AUX setting. The manual version is A1DO-EA80B, printed in 2008.

I wonder if by chance your GS is actually an 08 model year even tho' it's registered on an 09 plate?

When you get to KIA at Bolton, ask them to check the manufacture date - I think its the last 5/6 numbers on the VIN plate. Maybe Viking Paul or murphwiz will pop on and tell you how to read it.
KIA are notorious for changing specs each year - for example on the US version - the Rondo - the best year was 2007 as afterwards they started de-speccing it, presumably to save a few dollars.

Have a look on www.kia-forums.com/kia-carens-rondo-forum/ for the North American take.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Gary, Thanks for all your great detailed feedback. Much appreciated.

If I knew how to get the radio out I'd have a look at the rear of the stereo myself. As you say it's prob best to nip into kia bolton and have a word. I wont be getting them to carry out any work needed though ... something tells me my local car audio place will be cheaper!

On another note. I did 300 miles in mine yesterday, very impressed.

Phil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

Mine's a Mk2 so is older but I* swapped the supplied radio/CD for a JVC unit which takes aux and (more usefully for me) a USB memory stick.

I couldn't actually work out how to get the radio out so got Halfords to to it.

Mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is the problem my friend .... I'm capable of fitting a stereo but dont want to take a screwdriver to the dash surround for the hell of it.

I'm assuming you have to take the big silver dash surround off before getting access to the stereo to unscrew it and get it out, I've got my nails under corners here and there but it's all pretty solid so do not want to risk wrecking the dash

1 - 11 of 11 Posts