Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the 2nd service done at 2 year old and 7400 miles. On a service plan, so no charge. Noted that the oil and filter, cabin filter and brake fluid all changed. Spark pligs are good for100,000 miles or 10 years. Air filter 4 years.
Extraordinary changes. I used to change my dirty air cleaner and re-gap the spark plugs every 5000 miles. Never changed my brake fluid. etc etc.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why is that? My 2001 BMW motorcycle has non adjustable plug gaps, twin earth electrodes. The top quality NGK plugs need replacing every 5000 miles or so , because of electrode erosion.

·
Super Moderator
9,410 Posts
Clearly Kia are happy that the plugs used last a lot longer than the ones BMW use do.

I have Iridium spark plugs in my Kawasaki Versys & were still as good as new after 20K miles. And a good job given the (inset expletive) they are to get out..😂

Remember car does not stress plugs anywhere near as much as a bike. Lower compression, less revs. etc (y)

DENSO OE IRIDIUM PLUGS
These plugs are equivalent to the original plugs fitted at the factory when the car is being built. Usually a 0.6mm Iridium alloy centre electrode matched to a platinum chipped ground electrode for optimum service life without compromising performance. Service life can be as much as 120,000 miles for this plug type. Denso makes the OE parts for many vehicle manufacturers and therefore their aftermarket OE Iridium plugs are the best option to replace the original factory fitted plugs (where available). If a Denso OE Iridium plug is fitted as standard we would not recommend fitting any alternative part (unless the engine is heavily modified). Most OE Iridium plugs are available from stock.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,956 Posts
Just had the 2nd service done at 2 year old and 7400 miles. On a service plan, so no charge. Noted that the oil and filter, cabin filter and brake fluid all changed. Spark pligs are good for100,000 miles or 10 years. Air filter 4 years.
Extraordinary changes. I used to change my dirty air cleaner and re-gap the spark plugs every 5000 miles. Never changed my brake fluid. etc etc.
Never changed the brake fluid? You do realise that brake fluid is hygroscopic (i.e. it absorbs water) and if you have to do an emergency stop from high speed the heat generated in the brakes may cause this moisture to boil, and suddenly you have lost most, if not all, of your braking pressure! That is why brake fluid change features in the service schedules!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes, I know all that. It's just that we never used to change brake fluid routinely. Not part of dealer services either. Mind you, with slave and master cylinder failures being not unusual, brake fluids did get changed.
I'd brake fade only once in my 52 years of driving. That was in my Austin Maxi coming down off the Cat and Fiddle.
I changed the brake fluid and bought those auto bleed nipples. Iirc the brakes were sticking on due to a rusting master cylinder. The cylinder was in the centre of the brake servo and when you opened the bonnet, any rain water poured into it. Happy days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.