Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I believe it to be honest. Bought my car August last year. Had all the wheel nuts changed in May this year due to them corroding and another changed in August at its first service. Also had the rad cap changed in May as it wasn't holding pressure and then today when I went out the Clock Cluster Lights and Park lights were dead although the main headlights would come on. I fiddled with the fuses and all came back to life.

Now I know that wheel nuts and fuses don't make a car necessarily unreliable but even having to do these simple things on a car with only 2800 miles on the clock does not spell quality build in my dictionary.

Edited by: propnut

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Propnut at least you have not had to have it towed yet?
Hopefully KIA will cover items by Warrenty.

Bob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello , i can confirm that my picanto1 has been very reliable so far
without any electrical gremlins or break down issues ,only had to top up the oil a little

after 8500miles from purchase in october 09 i am very pleased with it

allround including mpg- mainly motorway ,i always get 350 miles to a tank of petrol.

still early days butlong may it continue!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wish i had never bought mine. 2010 model picanto 1, Cheap, crappy and very uneconomical ......dreadful dealer service and attitude. I cant see kia honouring 7 years of warranty ( personal view)
the dealers i have delt with seem to be just franchise that are low grade and just not interested in the customer once they have bought the car ... I can honestly say its the Worst car i have ever bought from new with the worst dealer backup i have ever had !!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You get what you pay for nowadays. But hey take a look at a Citreon C1 my neebors got one a 10 plate and I am telling you they want to rebadge it as Fisher Price C1. Its absolutely cheap and nasty inside and its a 3 cylinder engine with pram wheels. The battery tray is rusting already and its only done 3k miles. It cost him £6900 not cheap for what it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Davy, i popped into Citroen dealer for a look ....think C 1 means Crap one !!! you are so right, more of little tikes baby car !!!....I am going to look on their forum in a few moths and see the comments about it !

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 59 plate Picanto 1 has been great (so far). Collected it October 09 and have covered nearly 12,000 miles. £35 to fill it up and around 340 miles to a tank (mostly motorway). Really can't grumble at the car, now the dealer, that's a whole different ball game.....................................

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALL manufacturers suffer from less than desirable service agents. As someone with extensive mechanical experience I have never had to send a car to anyone to get serviced / repaired but I am often called upon to rectify something an agent has cocked up or repair something they couldn't. This is typically a result of my wife and her big mouth...in the form of "ask my hubby if he will look at it"

However having said that, due to the 3 year warranty on my Picanto I reluctantly had to send it in for its first service this August. The dealer told me upfront that the charge would be £147. Fair enough I thought doesn't sound too bad. Reading the job sheet they had allocated 1.4 hours for the job and apart from inspection all they did was replace the oil and oil filter. No plugs, no air filter, no brake pads etc.

I do struggle to reconcile how, even with a full inspection, that much time could be allocated. Anyhow I do find the local dealer to be efficient and certainly their service department is friendly. One of the salesman has a bit of a superior attitude but thus far they haven't given me any reason to complain.

As far as manufactuers go though they are ALL as bad as each other. Go to any other forum and see how they all try to weasle out of accepting responsibility for things that are clearly their fault.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have a 57 plate picanto gs. never had a problem, just clocked 30,000 miles. I use it daily, 5 days a week I do a 57 mile round trip to work get an average of 50 mpg. the only difference is once i bought it (6 months old and 2k on the clock) it has never seen the inside of the dealership. I do all my own servicing and repairs. My wife has a 53 plate rio and it is the same never had a problem. I do think it is the most reliable car. Had a Citroen c3 before and had nothing but problems with it, was glad to get rid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Iam also enjoying ownership of my picanto 1 , no issuesand neverhas missed a beat

owned for a year now and pleased with it inc £30 a year road tax
, i just gave it

its first service today, i put it up on my car ramps i changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter and that was £19.99 from kia dealer for these parts £15 for comma 5w 30oil as recommended, i am not prepared to be ripped off with dealer prices for just a oil and oil filter changeand inspect £140+.
I am confident i wont need to claim my warranty and have choosen to service myselfand with the kia parts invoices as records it should still hold its value fairly well.

ps..i also had a citroen xsara andit wasalso areal headache!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately my Picanto is one of the £90 road tax just 2 above the cut off. Forgot to mention that it went through first MOT 2 weeks ago, the examiner commented on how it looked like new underneath, great undersealing, exhaust still in good condition. Only expense in three years are 4 new tyres and a set of rear brake pads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RoyalMarine said:
it has never seen the inside of the dealership. I do all my own servicing and repairs.
As stated previously, having an extensive mechanical background, I like you do all my own work. However I have read elsewhere on the net that these cars have been known to suffer from "failed crankshafts". Now in 30 years of working on and rebuilding race car and motorcycles I have never heard of a "failed crankshaft", certainly not in road cars anyway.

I have known bearings to have failed both big end and main but this is synonymous with an interuption in oil flow causing the bearing to come into contact with the journal. However the symptoms others have reported is a lack of power. Now a failed bearing will 99.9999% of the time present itself as a knock. The only way (and I must highlight that I have only ever seen this on a motorcycle with a split crank) a crankshaft issue can result in loss of power is if it somehow manages to twist and in doing so knocks out the relative timing due to TDC drifting.

The other thing of course is the crankshaft pulley coming loose causing the cam belt timing to slip and this is mentioned as well.

So are Kia bulls*****g and charging customer for a crankshaft position sensor or is there something else we are unaware of other than the crankshaft pulley bolt. Remember the Diesel Kia Sedona has had a bad run of failed oil pumps. As such I will pay for the next service just to keep the 3 year warranty up. Mechanic or not I would rather Kia paid for a major bottom end rebuild (or top end for that matter)

I would suggest that every service you may want to check the torque on the pulley.

take a look

http://...kia-forums.../kia-picanto-forum/41227-crank-shaft-gone-25-000k-miles.html

these seem to be pulley bolt related

http://forum.usedcarexpert.co.uk/Topic166-42-1.aspx#bm415

http://...honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=76140

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been very impressed with the reliability, designand build quality of our Picanto 1.0 GS, esp. for the price. Now 6 yrs and 57k miles old and only had two issues needing a trip to the garage. One was to have handbrake actuating arm replaced and the other was to have the crankshaft pulley bolt looked at. Its been the most reliable (and cheapest) car we've owned and certainly better than my Audi. Its not needed any work other than usual tyres, brake pads and routine servicing. Original exhaust, brake discsand clutch, all leccy bits still workingand there's no rattles or bits falling off.

I was planning to replace itbefore its expensive cambelt change (one job I don't fancy doing myself) but my wife's very happy with it and wants to keep it for another couple of years.

Agreecrankshaft related issue is a bad one if you've suffered from it.I believe itrelates tothe pulley bolt which can either be the wrongtype or incorrectly torqued and if it fails I gather it can cause subsequent crankshaft/camshaft/valve gear damage. This came to light a few years ago and Igot Kia to check ours over. Was disappointed they didn't notify me at the time.

Very pleased with ours but if you've had crankshaft-related problems I can see you'd be less impressed. I thought this may have dented the reliability rating but perhaps its confined to a small %age of cars.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
HTML links do not work now because admin have stopped them due to some ar*e advertising SPAM and other irrelevant products that have no space in a Kia forum.

Its bl**dy annoying that this service has been suspended and I think it has ruined a good forum.
98% of the links were to do with Kia cars and because of a minority group of ar*eholes who want free advertising for their crap products we have to suffer.
Personally I would just ban them from the forum and that goes for anyone spouting their business and any political or religious beliefs. If they are advertising Kia parts or items then that is a good thing and should be kept.
Rant over with.
Davy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Simples !

Just right click and open in new window / tab then just remove the series of dots ... that have been added to the URL

Rich

PS need to ad3 doubleu'sat front too. theres a script running to convert the 3 dubu's into dots !!!!
Edited by: ninjaboy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok well I have tried to fix the links but it would seem that the forum is set to replace world wide wweb with dots

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought my Kia Picanto 2005 model in 2010. not from a kia dealer and paid £3000 But I have had nothing but problems with it from day one but the seller paid for the first problem. I had many macanics look at it but know one could find the problem then it stopped working altogether. in september a local garage colectid it as the nearest kia garage was to far from me in south west London. and they couldn't find the cause of the problem after taking it all apart. I mentioned the kia owners group and that many kia picantos have had crankshaft pully bolt problems. and he looked on the forum and loe and behold it was that problem. but before this I phoned kia to see if my car was one of the cars noted to have the problem. they said no and that the cars where never recalled but was brought in to check or something. now after 700.00 spent on it it. it worked better than it ever did so it shows the car wasn't in good working order we I bought it and then this weekend it was making noise so i took it back to the garage and the problem has come back. it will cost hundreds or thousands to repair that I can't afford
Hear is the kia owners forum
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/picanto-crank_topic8733.htmlpicanto crankkiaownersclub.co.uk
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/crankshaft-pulley_topic8307.htmlcrankshaft pulleykiaownersclub.co.uk
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/picanto-06-lack-of-engine-power_topic10174
htmlPicanto 06- Lack of Engine powerkiaownersclub.co.ukEdited by: unio06

1 - 20 of 23 Posts