Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife ha just had her picante 1.1 in to main dealer with a jumped timing chain its done less than 20.000 miles any idea why this could happen plenty of oil and well maintained ???

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Dont we all remember the VW/Seat/Skoda 1.2 TSI timing chain fiasco..they were lucky to get to 20K in many cases..so I wouldn't discount premature wear..
This is the first time I have heard of this problem with regard to the Picanto so I'm wondering if this forum will now produce further reports of the issue. Perhaps there have been other instances and I just haven't picked up on them?

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is the first time I have heard of this problem with regard to the Picanto so I'm wondering if this forum will now produce further reports of the issue. Perhaps there have been other instances and I just haven't picked up on them?
I think we have to remember that not all Picanto owners come aboard forums so this could well be happening and not know about it..but I am sure that members who ARE here will certainly post if this happens to their cars..it's not one that kia will make public I am sure unless it becomes a recall issue they will certainly play it down while looking for a fix..

·
Super Moderator
2,158 Posts
My wife ha just had her picante 1.1 in to main dealer with a jumped timing chain its done less than 20.000 miles any idea why this could happen plenty of oil and well maintained ???
Age of car?

Sounds very odd. Unless they have a tensioner and that has got stuck. Which if it is a old car with such low miles is a possibility.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Dont we all remember the VW/Seat/Skoda 1.2 TSI timing chain fiasco..they were lucky to get to 20K in many cases..so I wouldn't discount premature wear..
Very true, a pal's dad also had a Peugeot that failed at 28,000 miles last year.

I'm sure the mid 2000's Nissan (Renault engines) Micra also had problems with timing chains failing prematurely as well...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm sure the mid 2000's Nissan (Renault engines) Micra also had problems with timing chains failing prematurely as well...
There were indeed issues with the 2003 to 2010 Micra (wife had 2) but just a couple of points.

The petrol engine in that car was not related in anyway to a Renault unit. The Micra did use a Renault diesel which is where the confusion may have arisen. The petrol engines used in Renault Clio's of that period were actually all belt cam engines which gives you a clue they were different.

In every case I heard about it was not the chain but the tensioner and its fair to say that use of the wrong oil either caused or added to the issues. Nissans spec was 5w30 semi synthetic A3/B3 grade, a relatively inexpensive oil. Many garages used 10w40 mineral which had lower lubrication properties and was slow to circulate when cold thus causing issues. When the wifes second car went in for its 3rd service the garage were pleased to tell us they had saved us £10 by using 10w30 mineral instead of the correct 5w30 semi synthetic, I was livid. After some discussion at a very busy service desk late on a Friday afternoon they agreed to change it to the correct grade but would not issue a letter confirming what they had done and would not guarantee the wrong oil would cause no future issues. Wrote to Nissan who simply said that the dealers were not owned by Nissan UK thus they could do nothing.

She had that car a total of 7 years with no issues

·
Registered
227 Posts
There were indeed issues with the 2003 to 2010 Micra (wife had 2) but just a couple of points.

The petrol engine in that car was not related in anyway to a Renault unit. The Micra did use a Renault diesel which is where the confusion may have arisen. The petrol engines used in Renault Clio's of that period were actually all belt cam engines which gives you a clue they were different.

In every case I heard about it was not the chain but the tensioner and its fair to say that use of the wrong oil either caused or added to the issues. Nissans spec was 5w30 semi synthetic A3/B3 grade, a relatively inexpensive oil. Many garages used 10w40 mineral which had lower lubrication properties and was slow to circulate when cold thus causing issues. When the wifes second car went in for its 3rd service the garage were pleased to tell us they had saved us £10 by using 10w30 mineral instead of the correct 5w30 semi synthetic, I was livid. After some discussion at a very busy service desk late on a Friday afternoon they agreed to change it to the correct grade but would not issue a letter confirming what they had done and would not guarantee the wrong oil would cause no future issues. Wrote to Nissan who simply said that the dealers were not owned by Nissan UK thus they could do nothing.

She had that car a total of 7 years with no issues
Excellent post..(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts