Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Picanto 3 AMT (2022)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a letter from Kia saying that my Picanto has been recalled because it may not "have an audible warning when the rear fog light is left on, the ignition switched off, and the driver's door opened"! This seems to be true: there is no such audible warning. I had to check this because the vehicle is only 4 months old and I've never used the fog lights.

However, on checking, I noticed two strange things:
  1. There is no audible warning even when the sidelights or headlights are left on (even though my old vehicle had such a warning, and it was extremely useful).
  2. The front and rear fog lights turn off anyway when the ignition is switched off, so why does the rear one (only) need an audible warning?
Do other Picantos have the same problems/features?

(This recall is also reported in 馃嚘馃嚭 here)

Registered
I can only comment on my base 2018 model Australian one which apparently has not been recalled (even though the only real update to the car as of 2022 versus mine has been better headlights and the larger head unit). And for clarity, my one does not have front fog lights. Only rear. It only has the front mounted driving lights.

So my rear fog light - contrary to the owners manual - ONLY ever comes on if the headlights are switched to "automatic". If I put them into the park position (which is what I am told to do in the owners manual), they never turn on. So at the very least my owner's manual is wrong or the owner's manual is right and the car is wrong.

And on mine the parking / fog lights remain on when the ignition is switched off (and even if the key is removed).

My alert chime (the subject of the recall) does come on, however, whenever the rear fog lights are turned "on" when the driver's door is opened regardless of ignition position or key inserted / removed, however as explained above just because the fog light is turned on via the light stalk doesn't mean they are on anyway!

Seems to me there are a number of iterations and there might be other "bugs" as well. I always had an issue in both my 2017/18 JA Picantos whereby whenever the lights are set to "automatic" mode, the binnacle lighting setting would not work correctly with the lighting being far too bright (versus my chosen setting of a much more dim setting). So all these four years my workaround has been to not use the automatic setting which - now I find out today - means the rear fog light never worked anyway!!

But so far as the specific recall is concerned, obviously something changed here in Australia at least with the 2020 update. Which in itself is strange because as I mentioned, even the base models are apparently subject to the recall but the only difference between a 2022 model and my 2018 model is the larger head unit and the (minor) headlight upgrade.

The GT Line and turbo models are more understandable as the upgrades over the 2018-2019 models were more substantial.

Registered
Picanto 3 AMT (2022)
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds bizarre. I wouldn't mind working around the bugs but it's annoying to have to visit the dealer to get the pointless software update.

By the way, the recall is described differently in 馃嚘馃嚭 and 馃嚞馃嚙:

"If the rear fog lamp is switched ON after the ignition has been switched OFF and the driver鈥檚 door opened, the audible warning will not sound."
"The audible warning when the rear fog lamp is left switched on the ignition is switched off and the driver鈥檚 door opened on some vehicles does not function."

They mean different things but must be describing the same fault!

I can only comment on my base 2018 model Australian one which apparently has not been recalled (even though the only real update to the car as of 2022 versus mine has been better headlights and the larger head unit). And for clarity, my one does not have front fog lights. Only rear. It only has the front mounted driving lights.

So my rear fog light - contrary to the owners manual - ONLY ever comes on if the headlights are switched to "automatic". If I put them into the park position (which is what I am told to do in the owners manual), they never turn on. So at the very least my owner's manual is wrong or the owner's manual is right and the car is wrong.

And on mine the parking / fog lights remain on when the ignition is switched off (and even if the key is removed).

My alert chime (the subject of the recall) does come on, however, whenever the rear fog lights are turned "on" when the driver's door is opened regardless of ignition position or key inserted / removed, however as explained above just because the fog light is turned on via the light stalk doesn't mean they are on anyway!

Seems to me there are a number of iterations and there might be other "bugs" as well. I always had an issue in both my 2017/18 JA Picantos whereby whenever the lights are set to "automatic" mode, the binnacle lighting setting would not work correctly with the lighting being far too bright (versus my chosen setting of a much more dim setting). So all these four years my workaround has been to not use the automatic setting which - now I find out today - means the rear fog light never worked anyway!!

But so far as the specific recall is concerned, obviously something changed here in Australia at least with the 2020 update. Which in itself is strange because as I mentioned, even the base models are apparently subject to the recall but the only difference between a 2022 model and my 2018 model is the larger head unit and the (minor) headlight upgrade.

The GT Line and turbo models are more understandable as the upgrades over the 2018-2019 models were more substantial.

Registered
Just to further add to my previous comment, the fog lights also work if the main lights are set to their "full" position. So it seems they only fail to turn on when the main lights are set to parking. Hard to tell if the latter is by design or accident. Our Australian Design Rule 13 states:

6.11.7.1. The rear fog-lamp(s) cannot be switched on unless the main beams, dipped beams or front fog-lamps are lit;

6.11.7.2. The rear fog-lamp(s) can be switched off independently of any other lamp;

6.11.7.3. Either of the following applies:

6.11.7.3.1. the rear fog lamp(s) may continue to operate until the position lamps are switched off, and the rear fog lamp(s) shall then remain off until deliberately switched on again;

And relevant to this particular Picanto 2020 2022 recall:

6.11.7.3.2. a warning, at least audible, additional to the mandatory tell-tale (paragraph 6.11.8.) shall be given if the ignition is switched off or the ignition key is withdrawn and the driver's door is opened, whether the lamps in (paragraph 6.11.7.1.) are on or off, whilst the rear fog lamp switch is in the "on" position.

Note that as with most Aussie regulations made up by donut eating, lazy bureaucrats, they are usually a cut and paste from the hard work done by other countries....

Registered
I just realised the other difference between the 2017-2019 models and the 2020 - 2022 models. The instrument binnacle is different - the new models have a more informative colour screen between the speedo and tacho. And it is the software that operates this that also handles all the lighting logic, etc. Obviously when they put the fancy new instrument panels in the new 2020 cars, they wrote new software to suit. And a bug was obviously not caught.

Registered
So I wrote to Kia Australia pointing that (incidentally to the recall), there is an issue with the Picanto owners manual in that it states the rear fogs will work when the main lights are in the park position, however that is clearly not the case - at least for the S model Australian versions that do not have front fog lights. In actual fact, the rear fogs only work at the automatic and full positions. Put it in the park position like the manuals tells you to do and those lights will NEVER turn on. I suspect this would also be the case pretty much everywhere unless the control software has been specifically re-written to equate to the owners manual elsewhere (since the owners manual seems to be "international").

Their response was what I am finding rather typical of Kia. Nothing to see here. Yet they recall a jack this week to put a new sticker on it because it was deemed a "Safety" issue. I seem to recall some minor change to a different owner's manual was also deemed a "safety recall". So I would have thought a safety light that does not turn on when the manual says it should would also warrant one of those "stick over" amendments to the owners manual.

Given Kia's response I have just put a yellow sticky in there instead pointing out the error, though I reckon my orange Picanto will leave my hands direct to the wrecker in 15 years time. Too good a car to let anyone else get their hands on it for a bargain price.

Registered
Picanto 3 AMT (2022)
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my Picanto's software update yesterday. It only took an hour (probably less, but that's when I went back to the dealer chase them up). However, it was inconvenient to go there just to install a stupid warning sound that is never going to be used. (The probability of using the foglight(s), forgetting to turn them off, and not noticing the foglight icon on the dashboard is negligible.) 馃槦

1 - 8 of 8 Posts