Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, as the title my daughter has a 2011 1.2 picanto and it's got an intermittent starting problem. It won't start or turnover and will eventually start after 10 minutes or so, regardless of the car being cold/hot.

It's like an electrical issue and I was hoping for an easy fix like a key chip or maybe the clutch pedal switch but to no avail.

She lives away so today is the first day I've had chance to look at it for her and so far I've concluded the following :

The battery is excellent
The fob keys are new
It is the same regarding which key you use
The dash stays the same and all you can hear is a relay clicking near the steering column
I've eliminated the clutch switch by shorting it out
There's no codes stored (used the Torque app)

So my train of thought is maybe an immobiliser issue but not sure where it is, if I can bypass to prove or if it sits on a bus?

Any other ideas before I head off to kia for a diag? She's back to Birmingham after Christmas so I wanted to sort before then if possible.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Check connections on starter motor and ensure the battery has a good earth. Often find the lead connection to body corrosion underneath. Would pay you to take it off and give a good cleanup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will check that too, but there is no dimming etc to the dash when it won't start, I've just booked it in for a diag @ KIA for the 30th.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just an update and hopefully a help to someone else who may have the same issue..

I took the car to KIA and they were unable to find the issue, to be fair to them it didn't fail to start in the 2 days they had it.

After removing the steering column cowling and lower dash trim and twisting like a snake to get a decent view underneath I found two switches, one at the top of travel and one at the bottom.

The rubber bung had come out of the hole in the below (pic from Google)

This meant the switch was often going through the hole and not compressing.

Video below is from my daughters Picanto and illustrates the issue...

New video by Steven McPhie

Poor design imo but hopefully this will help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts