Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bit of a odd one have got a 1.0 picanto. I don't drive it much but I began to get an issue a while ago. When I would go to start the car and press the clutch down and turn the fob the car wouldn't start. Sometimes it would and sometimes it wouldn't. I would have to in a sense press the clutch down right to the floor as hard as possible.

The other way which I soon figured out that worked most the time was by even before putting the key in. Was to keep hold of the brake pedal down. Then I would put the key in and turn the dash on while the brake is still held down throughout, press the clutch down, turn the key as per normal and it starts. Has anyone experienced this, or have knowledge of what the issue may be.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Would tend to second Jacks advise this could indeed be the clutch pedal switch.. do a search for info on this for you car giving the precise year and engine type.. here is a thread from another section showing you what can happen when the switch is defective..

·
Registered
294 Posts
In the US cars with standard transmissions have a switch to stop you staring without pressing the clutch. My son is a US citizen and says it's because the US drivers cannot handle manual cars and would just bang into the car in front when starting! But the Piccanto is not sold in the US market. So strange. It is a habit I have of pressing the clutch before starting so as to relieve any strains on the engine. I am use to old bangers, and new ones.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,955 Posts
In the US cars with standard transmissions have a switch to stop you staring without pressing the clutch. My son is a US citizen and says it's because the US drivers cannot handle manual cars and would just bang into the car in front when starting! But the Piccanto is not sold in the US market. So strange. It is a habit I have of pressing the clutch before starting so as to relieve any strains on the engine. I am use to old bangers, and new ones.
Our 13-plate Picanto 2 has the infamous "stop-go" system. It is stressed in the handbook that to start the car the clutch pedal must be fully depressed and held down until the car starts.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I presumed all kia's required clutch, or brake for autos, to be depressed when starting. My ceed does and I only need to let the clutch up slightly for it to stop the engine from starting. Literally pedal to the metal but I've never questioned it because other marques have been the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.