Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a snapped pulley bolt on a 56 picanto 30000 miles ,what is the latset on this situation please.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The bolte dont usually snap unless overtightened, usually to try and stop the crank sprocket moving about so much, get the sprocket checked for ware, if so you need a new crank and will need a kia main dealer to call confirm it and then they will contact customer services for you to get it paid for. (Aslong asyou have service history??)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Kia customer service refused to accept that this is a problem and would not pay for towing to the local dealer and so have paid for mechanic to remove the bolt which was found to be broken and of poor quality. Have paid for new bolt and replaced it at our own expense. The vehicle has done 30000 miles and is untouched other than main dealer.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Carolyn said:
Thanks for the info. Kia customer service refused to accept that this is a problem and would not pay for towing to the local dealer and so have paid for mechanic to remove the bolt which was found to be broken and of poor quality. Have paid for new bolt and replaced it at our own expense. The vehicle has done 30000 miles and is untouched other than main dealer.
Hi Carolyn,
KIA are just fobbing you off - it is a factory defect and their liability.

If you are lucky you might get away with a new bolt but what normally happens is that the end of the crankshaft gets worn due to the loose pulley that the belt goes around and then the pulley cannot be tightenedcorrectly to set the timing properly.

This then requires a new crankshaft...

Did you ask if they had a campaign in place to replace the crankshaft pulley bolts...and they denied this?

I'd get in touch with your local Citizens Advice Bureaux and see if they can give you some advice - you can explain it is an inherent defect in the vehicle from the factory. They had a "campaign" to inspect and replace the bolts and pulley assemblies. You can see the list of people on this forum alone who have had the same problem, it's not something they don't know about.

Edited by: gtd2000

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Excuse me if this has been answered before but what is the problem with the bolt is it not strong enough or has it not been treated with a locking compound when it was tightened up at factory during the build up of the engine.

·
Registered
928 Posts
davy said:
Excuse me if this has been answered before but what is the problem with the bolt is it not strong enough or has it not been treated with a locking compound when it was tightened up at factory during the build up of the engine.
From what I understand the machinedtolerances of the pulley and crankshaft were very poor at the factory. This results in very slight movement which is not noticeable at first but eventually the end of the crank and the pulley loosens off...and as a result the timing gets thrown completely out. This can normally be verified by checking the torque setting of the bolt which may fail as a result of the stresses.

Because KIA don't know their arse from their elbow (or at least it seems to be that way from my point of view right now) they orginally said only a certain range of cars produced in 2004 were affected - it was pot luck if they asked you to bring your car in for inspection. Many people actually experienced crankshaft pulley failure and their cars were buggered up requiring repairs that cost as much as teh value of the car! In many cases the cars that failed were not on the list of affected cars - I've read about cars from 2004 right through to 2009 with the same problem.

KIA advised me that the original list is now longer considered to be the full extent of the problem...no excrement and a famous Detective springs to mind!

The KIA recommended repair is a new short motor. The long way round is to replace the entire crankshaft and associated parts involving more work...

KIA are really dropping the ball on this one...and lots of people are hearing about it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
its is erfishel after many months and being at my macanic for a littel while( could not get it to kia in the end as non starter) said yesterday that i have this problem and it was due to this forum that he did. so my worst nightmare has now been confermd and like many others when phoned kia uk they said my car was not effectid by the fult

·
Registered
928 Posts
If KIA won't help you there was some guy that was able to repair the problem for around £300.

I'm not sure where that information is in these forums but this might be an option for you?

A key word search might bring it up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a Kia which had this same problem. When the dealership told me it was a lower timing gear and crankshaft bolt problem, I didn't believe it until they showed it to me. I've been a mechanic for decades and NEVER have seen a lower timing gear wear out.
Anyway, the Kia dealership replaced the gear and bolt plus some welding as the crankshaft had been damaged as well. Drove it for another week only to have the same problem reoccur. This time the bolt was snapped in two.
Both times the Kia Dealership has refused to take ANY responsibility. Even when repaired there is no guarantee how long the repair will last.
I will have the vehicle repaired for a third time, then trade it in or resell it.
I have NEVER seen such a cheaply made auto. Don't think it would serve as a good boat anchor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my macanic sorted the problem but come back 4 months later, I sent kia an email to say how unhappy I am with my car and that I would tell people I see withthe same car or selling the same car about the crankshaft pulley bolt manufacturers fault. I didn't by my car from a kia dealer. and they said that if I get it to them and it was that issue they would consider a good will gesture but im worried that even if they do do it the problem will keep coming back like it has with most people's cars. I don't know what to do

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah UNIO06, I know what you mean.
There really is no appropriate remedy. This is my 3rd experience with the same problem on a 2007 Kia Picanto. Even f you do the "long" fix and replace the crankshaft, you have the same type of crankshaft that failed in the 1st place.
I'm going to replace the bolt and gear and sell it, But not before having signs made for each side of the car saying "If you want a lemon buy a Kia"
and park it on the street opposite the Kia dealership.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Correction 'Picanto' no problems here with my Rio or any other models Kia make,this was a model specific problem.

·
Registered
928 Posts
rogerwilkey said:
Yeah UNIO06, I know what you mean.
There really is no appropriate remedy. This is my 3rd experience with the same problem on a 2007 Kia Picanto. Even f you do the "long" fix and replace the crankshaft, you have the same type of crankshaft that failed in the 1st place.
I'm going to replace the bolt and gear and sell it, But not before having signs made for each side of the car saying "If you want a lemon buy a Kia"
and park it on the street opposite the Kia dealership.
I'm under the impression the new crank and bolt etc., is different.

Remember this is due to a factory defect - it's not the case the the crankshaft was made of poor materials - as I understand it's simplydue to bad tolerances and a bolt that was too short?

I thought you were in the UK but see you are listed as being in the Philippines.

Have a read of the list of owners thread here:

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/list-of-owners-with-crankshaft-pulley-bolt-failur_topic5189_page1.html

There's also the "cheap fix" thread that you can read too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the bolt and crank pulley replaced on a 07 picante 2 weeks ago. As the crankshaft was rounded, they did some welding and filing to fill in the rounded edges. This was done at the Kia dealership. Had to pay the full bill even though this is a common DESIGN/MANUFACTURING problem
Two weeks later the crankshaft bolt they replaced snapped again.
Knowing Kia accepts NO responsibility for this defect, I took it to a local Reputable shop where they removed the engine and transmission. The pulley and bolt needed replaced again, and the crankshaft was in such a poor state of disrepair it needed replaced as well. Estimate: $1,000+.
After much pondering, decided it was better to repair that tow it to the wrecking yard.
The repair shop called the Kia dealership which said they didn't have one. The shop then called the main importer/dealership I n the country I live (Philippines). The main dealership said the crankshaft wasn't available and that Kia Korea was no longer making them.
Can you believe ? Making/selling a car with a known defect but making no replacement part.
Hope someone on this site has some suggestion for a remedy--legal or otherwise.
I personally feel the Kia Owners Clubs (around the world) should file a class action suit against Kia and their JUNK!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:
Kia does not make the original Picanto crankshaft.
If you need a replacement they have one that will work.
However, you will also need to purchase a new bolt, new crankshaft gear,
new camshaft gear, new tensioner, new belt, etc. as the replacement crankshaft is different from the original and the original parts won't fit.
OOps..Almost forgot--2007 Picanto LX with 40k

·
Registered
89 Posts
my car had gone to a kia garage in Epsom today's they are going to look at my car to see if it is the crankshaft pulley bolt manufacturers fault. (my macanic who has taken it to the and I know it is) and will look into doing a good will gesture so keeping everything crossed xx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts