Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XCeed 3 1.6 CRDI ISG MHEV in Phantom Black
34 Posts
Does a battery replacement require the new battery to be registered with the on-board computer system?
Thanks in advance.
I had to get a new battery yesterday for my daughter's 63 plate Picanto 2. The cheapest place I found locally was Halfords at £121 for the Start/Stop battery but a word of warning, don't pay for the fitting as whilst they will happily charge you £25 for the pleasure and whilst their gizmo (if working) will keep you from losing your radio code, they told me that the Halfords machine is not able to re-code the Kia key fobs and for the Start/Stop to work correctly, I need to visit the Kia dealership to get this done.

They messed me around for over 3 hours yesterday from the website not working correctly, taking the order then not passing it through to the store and finally finding out their machine was broken and they could only partially do the job. I came away with the battery, fitting money refunded and then sent a complaint in to head office - not that I expect much from that.

I am a typical Brit, I don't complain but yesterday got me mad. I now have to fit the battery myself (must find the radio code) and then contact Kia on Monday to see what it will cost to get the key fobs re-programmed so the Start/Stop will work again.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
I had to get a new battery yesterday for my daughter's 63 plate Picanto 2. The cheapest place I found locally was Halfords at £121 for the Start/Stop battery but a word of warning, don't pay for the fitting as whilst they will happily charge you £25 for the pleasure and whilst their gizmo (if working) will keep you from losing your radio code, they told me that the Halfords machine is not able to re-code the Kia key fobs and for the Start/Stop to work correctly, I need to visit the Kia dealership to get this done.

They messed me around for over 3 hours yesterday from the website not working correctly, taking the order then not passing it through to the store and finally finding out their machine was broken and they could only partially do the job. I came away with the battery, fitting money refunded and then sent a complaint in to head office - not that I expect much from that.

I am a typical Brit, I don't complain but yesterday got me mad. I now have to fit the battery myself (must find the radio code) and then contact Kia on Monday to see what it will cost to get the key fobs re-programmed so the Start/Stop will work again.

Hope this helps.

The key fobs have absolutely nothing to do with the ISG system so someone is feeding you BS.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
would not of thought so even if the amg type ,battery will be recognised and charged accordingly .
Tend to agree on this. I believe that some premium cars have the ability to be told that they have a new battery but I don't think this will actually be a big deal. The charging system must have the ability to learn about the batttery state because it could not possibly remain synchronised to the battery over several years. I think "codng" the battery just shortens that process. I would not worry abouot it.

·
Registered
2021 XCeed 3 1.6 CRDI ISG MHEV in Phantom Black
34 Posts
Thanks, it wouldn’t surprise me and I’ll see what happens when I fit the battery and take it for a run.
And I was surprised, it all went fine and everything seems to be working as it should. Also didn't need the radio code - it just needed the time setting and stations retuning. Thanks for giving me the confidence Turnup!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does a battery replacement require the new battery to be registered with the on-board computer system?
Thanks in advance.
The answer is definitely no..... removing the old battery and replacing with a new one took all of 10 minutes, mostly getting the bracket bolt back in, (you really need someone with small hands!). The vehicle recognised the battery straight away without having to do anything and although the clock needed re-timing, even the radio stations held in memory were retained.... Result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.