Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello KIA CS
Can you please confirm if production of Picanto's with Automatic transmission is to cease?
Many thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello KIA CS can you please give an update on this?
We can only have automatic cars so it would be useful to know if we can ever add to our Picanto fleet with a new automatic.
Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can offer a reply, because my daughter recently ought a Picanto 1.2 auto. The dealer said that it was the last of the "traditional" Picanto autos (so buy now :), i.e with a torque converter and epicyclic gearbox), and the new models expected in 2020 would have dual-clutch transmissions and manual-style gearboxes, automatically controlled. He did not believe they would be as smooth in operation, but would be more economical on fuel, and would only be offered with the 1.0 litre engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,139 Posts
Try looking at the Hyundai models eg the i10 as many have an automatic option where Kia does not!
Your only problem will be getting over the Audi sized front grille which many just cannot stand!

Hyundai own 40% of Kia and they cooperate on engineering and similar.
My Kia Stinger is based on a Hyundai Genesis 80 model for example.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can offer a reply, because my daughter recently ought a Picanto 1.2 auto. The dealer said that it was the last of the "traditional" Picanto autos (so buy now :), i.e with a torque converter and epicyclic gearbox), and the new models expected in 2020 would have dual-clutch transmissions and manual-style gearboxes, automatically controlled. He did not believe they would be as smooth in operation, but would be more economical on fuel, and would only be offered with the 1.0 litre engine.
Hi thanks for the response.
To be honest I do wonder if it's an automated manual rather than a full DCT. Hyundai's latest i10 offers that on both 1.0 & 1.2 & as Kia usually share engines etc that might be what they offer.
It would be handy if Kia CS would confirm definitely what we can expect auto-box wise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe the " all new " Hyundai i10 can be ordered from 18th Jan with automated manual gearbox 5speed. The Hyundai website doesn't describe the details of the gearbox and I can't find any reviews of driving this new i10. It seems as though the face lifted Picanto will be available much later in the new year, probably with the same gearbox - whatever that is!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Found this on the AMT -
Particularly interesting is at 2.32 they indicate jerkiness may be factor.....not necessarily a good thing to say about your all new gearbox?

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
The real question is why do they continue to build manual gearbox cars?

David
I guess because the majority of purchases are for manual transmissions.

Until a auto can return the same MPG as a manual then I'm happy to have full control over the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hello KIA CS can you please give an update on this?
We can only have automatic cars so it would be useful to know if we can ever add to our Picanto fleet with a new automatic.
Many thanks
Hi Kismet

Apologies for the delayed response.

We can confirm automatic Picanto production has stopped and ordering is now subject to remaining stock. We aren't yet able to confirm the specification that's taking its place. You can register your details at Sign Up For Kia Picanto Updates | Kia Motors UK if you'd like to receive updates about the Picanto range.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
40 Posts
This looks very similar to the type of gearbox fitted to the my 2005 Smart for Two. This is a 3-cylinder 700cc turbocharged petrol engine coupled to a 6-speed gearbox with a single dry-plate clutch. It does tend to hang on to the gears too long in fully automatic mode, and you can get "caught" at junctions and roundabouts when it is "too slow" to engage the correct (lower) gear, but it is something you get used to. The Smart itself is very economical, returning almost 40 to the gallon in heavy peak-time city traffic. I understand the Toyota Aygo uses a similar setup for its automatic transmission as well, but have no further infotmation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts