Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Picanto 3 2021. The instructions for Tomtom Live connected services require a hotspot on ones smart phone to be connected to wi-fi. I can not find wi-fi listed anywhere in the settings. Could someone with the same model confirm the location of the wi-fi settings.
The strange confusing thing is that Kia Live in Navigation appears to work without a phone connection.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a new Picanto 3 2021. The instructions for Tomtom Live connected services require a hotspot on ones smart phone to be connected to wi-fi. I can not find wi-fi listed anywhere in the settings. Could someone with the same model confirm the location of the wi-fi settings.
The strange confusing thing is that Kia Live in Navigation appears to work without a phone connection.
Hasn't the 2021 Kia Picanto 3 got UVO? Have you downloaded the UVO app?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hasn't the 2021 Kia Picanto 3 got UVO? Have you downloaded the UVO app?
Thank you for the quick response. What role does play in Navigation and Kia Live connected services. I have UVO app working, though I understand it has its own SIM card.

·
Super Moderator
4,313 Posts
If you have UFO, then as you say the head unit has it's own sim, so has a built in connection to mobile data.. So requires no further connection to get data for mapping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have UFO, then as you say the head unit has it's own sim, so has a built in connection to mobile data.. So requires no further connection to get data for mapping.
That sounds like a good explanation. It is a pity that all the instructions and YouTube videos do not explain that. Does that mean that connecting to UVO removes the wi-fi option from settings

·
Super Moderator
4,313 Posts
If you look in the UVO section of the head unit, there is something about stopping WiFi working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further to my original post, I have checked on the operation of satnav. Everything is working as expected without a Wi-fi hotspot connection and UVO is obviously using the built in SIM card. The top right of the screen shows UVO at four bars and LIVE.
I am left with one problem. Though Data / Network was originally available on the setup screen, it has now disappeared and no facility for Wi-fi connection. I understand that Wi-fi is not required. The problem is understanding why the change. Does the head unit update over the air or do I have developed a fault.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've never understood the point of the Wi-Fi connection on my Picanto 3. I've had the car nearly 2 years now and never enabled it until this morning when I got back from work just to see what it would do after I was playing around with Android Auto. All I could do was connect to my home network and then it prompted something about TomTom live navigations services with agree/disagree options. Once you're out of range of your home Wi-Fi, what's the point of it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to enable a Wi-fi hotspot on your smart phone and connect to that. The latest Kia’s with UVO have a built. In data connection and do ot require Wi-fi.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You need to enable a Wi-fi hotspot on your smart phone and connect to that.
I did think of doing that, but as I was on the drive, I thought I would connect to the home network to see what would happen.

Other than the TomTom live nav services it prompted about when connected, what else does it do via W-Fi, or is that it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts