Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ppl.
Need some help with my late 2019 picanto, so i've had it for 2 months now, bought it from the local kia dealership. Just after 2 weeks i started noticing something i think is a missfire when going at steady speeds (highway etc) can be sitting in 5th gear 110-120 kph and feel something that feels sorta like a missfire to me. (i might be completly wrong with this beeing a missfire).
Had it in to the dealer and they had a look at it, first mechanic said he felt the issue and started with replacing the sparkplugs, did not change anything.
Got a new appointment 3 weeks later.
This time they had the car for a full week looking for errors, first mechanic did not find it untill he drove the car for a longer time. So the search for what was wrong started, they looked at throttlebody, injectors,ignitioncoils and some more stuff i belive.
Got called up and they tell me they cant find anything wrong anymore and that the car runs as before.. that this missfire im feeling is just a feature of the car....
So i need help, anyone know some related issues to picantos with wierd jerking/twithing motions from the engine when going at steady speed?
It does also feel wierd when giving it full throttle in uphills, feels like it jerks alot more but alot "softer" then.
If anyone has a clue that can help me sort this out, please do tell.
Also sorry if some words are not correct etc, swedish guy here so doing my best to translate stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

Are you sure it's not just the aircon kicking in, in our picanto you can def tell when it activates, the car has a very small hesitation as it comes in, easily felt when on a steady throttle

TT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Are you sure it's not just the aircon kicking in, in our picanto you can def tell when it activates, the car has a very small hesitation as it comes in, easily felt when on a steady throttle

TT
Not 100% sure, but i tried turning the ac of, and i could still feel it just not as noticable as with ac on.
Also to me it seems as the kia mechanics would know that this is something that happens on picantos and just check there first. But the first kia mechanic that looked at it said there was some sort of error, so they get me abit confused.
Im gonna get a call from their head mechanic today to see if we can sort it out somehow.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not 100% sure, but i tried turning the ac of, and i could still feel it just not as noticable as with ac on.
Also to me it seems as the kia mechanics would know that this is something that happens on picantos and just check there first. But the first kia mechanic that looked at it said there was some sort of error, so they get me abit confused.
Im gonna get a call from their head mechanic today to see if we can sort it out somehow.
I know the 4 cylinder version has a natural harmonic imbalance at around 2,300 - 2,500 - absolutely identical on all five examples I have driven over the last few years though since they have all been automatics the fluid drive tends to all but eliminate the effect when the vehicle is actually being driven. You can only reproduce it in neutral revving the engine. That said, one I drove was filled with 91 octan fuel and the effect was noticeable when driving whereas it was not on the ones filled with 95 or 98 octane fuel. So it might be worthwhile (just as an experiment) to try a higher octane fuel if it is available where you live. Often the engine computer will actually slightly change the parameters when a better fuel is used, even in a bread and butter Kia.

So on that "imbalance count" though, have you trried revving the engine in neutral with the car stationary at the same revs it uses in 5th at those particular speeds? Perhaps that is the natural harmonic imbalance in that particular engine. Other than that (and the fuel), it could be the emission control doing it at that particular rev range at the usual throttle opening needed (generally a fairly low throttle opening).

·
Registered
2020 Picanto
4 Posts
Hey ppl.
Need some help with my late 2019 picanto, so i've had it for 2 months now, bought it from the local kia dealership. Just after 2 weeks i started noticing something i think is a missfire when going at steady speeds (highway etc) can be sitting in 5th gear 110-120 kph and feel something that feels sorta like a missfire to me. (i might be completly wrong with this beeing a missfire).
Had it in to the dealer and they had a look at it, first mechanic said he felt the issue and started with replacing the sparkplugs, did not change anything.
Got a new appointment 3 weeks later.
This time they had the car for a full week looking for errors, first mechanic did not find it untill he drove the car for a longer time. So the search for what was wrong started, they looked at throttlebody, injectors,ignitioncoils and some more stuff i belive.
Got called up and they tell me they cant find anything wrong anymore and that the car runs as before.. that this missfire im feeling is just a feature of the car....
So i need help, anyone know some related issues to picantos with wierd jerking/twithing motions from the engine when going at steady speed?
It does also feel wierd when giving it full throttle in uphills, feels like it jerks alot more but alot "softer" then.
If anyone has a clue that can help me sort this out, please do tell.
Also sorry if some words are not correct etc, swedish guy here so doing my best to translate stuff.
I get an inconsistent throttle response on my Picanto, I had same response from servicing, its supposed to do that, ludicrous.

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,958 Posts
I get an inconsistent throttle response on my Picanto, I had same response from servicing, its supposed to do that, ludicrous.
I had the 3-cylinder engine on my previous car (Hyundai i30) and it was "coarse" if I tried to accelerate from too low a speed. You could almost feel and hear the engine impulses. Could be that's what you can hear and feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.