Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new here

Just wanted to hear your opinion on something.

I'm working on a friends Picanto 2004 model central locking system. When all doors are unlocked (manually), nothing happens when I press the remote unlock button on the key (light flashes on the key though), but when I lock the right hand side door manually, the indicators flash, as if it wants to unlock, but nothing happens. I checked the fuse also.

What that tells me is, that there is a connection from the remote fob to the central locking system, but it is not actuating. Is it correct that all central locking is controlled by the left hand side door actuator assembly (drivers side, in my case), and if this actuator is dead, nothing will happen?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts, before I start throwing parts at it :) Havent disassembled it yet, might be a loose connection, but I think the actuator is dead. New assembly, or just the actuator, or is it possible to just swap the small DC motor?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Sound like it might be a key programming fault and your might have lost its programming.. see the last post in this thread..

·
Registered
385 Posts
When doors are locked, there is a switch in latch to confirm its locked. If not it will unlock itself. Most likely a failed motor in the lock. Identify the latch by listening to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound like it might be a key programming fault and your might have lost its programming.. see the last post in this thread..
Thanks, I'll try that - previous owner had changed the battery because he thought it was bad - turned out to be a bad alternator which I will be swapping today - I believe he said the central locking system stopped working, after the battery swap. Although It confuses me that the fob has some kind of connection, when one door plunger is down. Could need relearning though, like you suggested 😁

When doors are locked, there is a switch in latch to confirm its locked. If not it will unlock itself. Most likely a failed motor in the lock. Identify the latch by listening to them.
Hmmm, nothing is moving or trying to move, if all doors are locked and keyfob unlock is pressed 😕

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Tried the trick in the last post, didnt work unfortunately.

Try the spare remote key as it could be a faulty button on the key fob.
I dont have a spare key fob, and the button isnt faulty, because it reacts when one front door i locked manually. It flashes the indicators, but no actuator motors do anything.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Tried the trick in the last post, didnt work unfortunately.

I dont have a spare key fob, and the button isnt faulty, because it reacts when one front door i locked manually. It flashes the indicators, but no actuator motors do anything.
Checked the fuse?

Also it may think that all four doors are already locked, hence need not action the actuators. Are all the other doors locked when you do this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked the fuse?

Also it may think that all four doors are already locked, hence need not action the actuators. Are all the other doors locked when you do this?
Yep, fuse is good.

I tried with one door locked, and all doors locked. No response, other than the indicators flashing.

I think I need a main drivers side central locking motor actuator assembly

·
Registered
385 Posts
agree.
Are you buying new or used?
Related info....picanto will be similar.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
First check wires going through rubber gaiter bottom drivers door to A pillar. If one from the control box has broken locking will not work. Quite common cause.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
agree.
Are you buying new or used?
Related info....picanto will be similar.

Was planning to buy used

Thanks I'll have a look at the other post

First check wires going through rubber gaiter bottom drivers door to A pillar. If one from the control box has broken locking will not work. Quite common cause.
Good point, I'll check that, haven gotten around to actually disassembling it yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.