Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few days left to decide whether to keep or return the car and I'm in two minds as there's a few things that don't make sense. I would greatly appreciate advice, suggestions or solutions to the following issues:

Steering wheel lock - I don't think it works, well, not in the obvious way my previous cars have. I've read a good few posts about needing to turn the wheels to odd angles before the steering wheel locks? Surely, not a good idea when stationary. What's going on? Can a dealer fix it?

Door locking and unlocking - picture this: returning to car late at night in dimly lit carpark. Suspicious characters lurking nearby. Driver just wants to open drivers door only, not all five, and make a quick getaway. I haven't manged to work out how to unlock drivers door only - is it even possible?

Front headrests - did Kia base the ergonomics of the front headrests on someone with a severe stoop? Any adult with a healthy posture will find that the headrest will not move back far enough to maintain good posture whilst driving, despite the (limited) back-to-front adjustment available. Has anyone effected a solution?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Compared to previous cars, it took me a few attempts to find the steering lock position on my 2018 Picanto 3. On mine, its a quarter turn and half of this again to the right from having it dead straight. I just turn it into this position as the last part of parking, that way the power steering is still running and the car is still moving enough that you're not dry-steering it into this position.

No way to set the remote central locking to just the driver's door that I've seen. Not a feature I've had on previous car's factory central locking either. I think I've seen this type of customisation on third-party car alarms in the past (anyone remember Clifford alarms).

·
Registered
570 Posts
You must live in a really bad part of town, however I would just get in a lock the doors using the dash button.

I have driven a Picanto GT line 1000km in one trip and was the best I have felt. I going to presume you think having the seat back straight is the optimum setting as I have no issues with any of the 3 Picantos we have.

In the end if you are not happy, then get something else!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On mine, its a quarter turn and half of this again to the right from having it dead straight.
Thanks, I'll attempt to find the steering lock position of my 2018 Picanto 2, though I question the sanity of the person who thought locking the steering wheel into a position other than straight ahead, was a good idea.

Guess other modern small cars will have the same door locking/unlocking logic too, so whilst it doesn't suit me, I'll just have to tolerate it. I read in the car's operating manual that Picantos using a smart key/fob thingy can open just the drivers door (mine has the folding key fob).

Funny thing about the headrests - the rear ones are better positioned than the front ones. In fact, the rear seats also have slightly better lumber support than the front seats. Perhaps I should sit in the back and employ a chauffeur?

I get the feeling that the Picanto is basically a decent car struggling to rise above some oddities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must live in a really bad part of town, however I would just get in a lock the doors using the dash button.

I have driven a Picanto GT line 1000km in one trip and was the best I have felt. I going to presume you think having the seat back straight is the optimum setting as I have no issues with any of the 3 Picantos we have.
View attachment 11297
Absolutely - and I still have a few days to decide.

Guidance I read suggests tilting the back rest about 10 to 20 degrees is optimum. 40 degrees is surely at risk of submarining however I can see one advantage in a 40 deg.recline in that the head will be tilted down (i.e. chin nearly on chest) so the headrest probably wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,232 Posts
Hi dogfonos, The head restraints are adjustable as follows,

'The headrest may be adjusted forward to 4 different positions by pulling the headrest forward to the desired detent. To adjust the headrest to its rearmost position, pull it fully forward to the foremost position and release it. Adjust the headrest so that it properly supports the head and neck.' Kia Picanto - Headrest - Seats

My front doors unlock but the rears do not until I've clicked the fob twice, but that could be something to do with the child locks. My Skoda Fabia had the function to only open the drivers door but I had this overridden as it caused so much trouble with my passengers on rainy days....

I'm unsure what you are saying about the steering lock? The general advice is not to leave the steering lock engaged (ie with the steering wheel lock engaged and actually locked solid) as it can put a strain on the mechanism. The idea of the lock is that it only engages if someone tries to tries to fully turn the steering wheel without the key in the ignition and the lock disengaged. This prevents the car being towed (which is why it's not at the straight ahead position) or driven after being hot wired.

·
Super Moderator
6,263 Posts
They are not headrests...

As @phil866 points out above, they are head restraints.
Designed to stop your head being flung backwards & snapping your neck in the event of a crash.
You should not really be resting your head on them while driving. As that is restricting your head movement to view behind you (Lifesaver) (y)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, I'll attempt to find the steering lock position of my 2018 Picanto 2, though I question the sanity of the person who thought locking the steering wheel into a position other than straight ahead, was a good idea.
My partner's Stonic has an electronic steering lock, like her Qashqai before, which doesn't seem to care how the steering wheel is left for it to engage on engine off.

·
Registered
283 Posts

View attachment 11297
I love how they can't reach the pedals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guidance I read suggests tilting the back rest about 10 to 20 degrees is optimum. 40 degrees is surely at risk of submarining however I can see one advantage in a 40 deg.recline in that the head will be tilted down (i.e. chin nearly on chest) so the headrest probably wouldn't be an issue.
Oops, a mis-quote on my part. The UK guidance I've seen suggests 20 to 30 degrees is optimum, not the 10 to 20 I said in post#1. I have the back-rest set to around 25 degrees.

'The headrest may be adjusted forward to 4 different positions by pulling the headrest forward to the desired detent. To adjust the headrest to its rearmost position, pull it fully forward to the foremost position and release it. Adjust the headrest so that it properly supports the head and neck.' Kia Picanto - Headrest - Seats
Thanks for that. Yes, I had found this adjustment of the "headrest" mentioned in the manual (page 3:10). I still find the "headrest" too far forward even at it's most rearward setting.

They are not headrests...

As @phil866 points out above, they are head restraints.
Agree. Just using Kia Owner's Manual terminology.

You should not really be resting your head on them while driving. As that is restricting your head movement to view behind you (Lifesaver)
I would really like not to rest my head on the "headrest" but, due to Kia's design, the thing pushes into the back of my head whether I like it or not. Obviously, I can tip my head forward but that feels both uncomfortable and unnatural and may lead to neck strain. Judging by numerous posts across the Internet, I'm not alone in thinking Kia headrests are problematic for many.

The idea of the lock is that it only engages if someone tries to tries to fully turn the steering wheel without the key in the ignition and the lock disengaged. This prevents the car being towed (which is why it's not at the straight ahead position) or driven after being hot wired.
Ah, that makes sense. Never had a car where the steering wheel locked the front wheels at an angle (always locked in the straight ahead position). Thing is, I've never experienced the Picanto's wheel locking so I don't know if the lock is working or not. Will experiment and try to get the thing to lock.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you park on a hill best practice is to turn your wheels towards the kerb just incase the vehicle does move. Is this why the lock engages in the non straight ahead position?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a few days left to decide whether to keep or return the car and I'm in two minds as there's a few things that don't make sense.
Well, I've decided the Picanto2 is a keeper. Growing accustomed to all the unnecessary gadgetry with in-built programmable logic controllers but the biggest bugbear are the front headrest/head restraints being set too far forward, even at their maximum rearward position. Two options: turn the headrests back-to-front (done that, works fine) or slightly bend the two metal rod fittings backwards (not done that - afraid of weakening the metal).

I've read somewhere that these headrests/restraints may be of an "active" design in that they react, in someway, in event of an accident. Makes me think twice about keeping them back-to-front. Anyone know if these restraints are "active" and if so, how do they react in event of an accident?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can post a photo of the headrest and seat but I'm unwilling to appear "in shot" and there were no volunteers when I asked others, sorry.

I've managed to better understand why I and many other adults find some headrests uncomfortable. Rather than me break the bad news to those who find modern car headrests/headrestraints comfortable, I'll leave it to the postural experts to explain:

Ostensibly, this is the same reason I can rarely buy a pair of trousers that fit me on the waist - as modern waistlines have expanded to unhealthy levels, manufacturers have followed this trend and increased their trouser waistline measurements accordingly. Guess you can't blame manufacturers when they respond to market conditions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I haven't found the articles that useful, none of them seem to show someone sitting in the seat with the issue.

I don't understand the comment about trousers either, normally they start at a 28 inch wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't found the articles that useful, none of them seem to show someone sitting in the seat with the issue.
Fair enough. I guess we all interpret things differently. Showing a pic or photo of someone sitting in the seat with back of head resting against headrest/restraint isn't going to show how comfortable or uncomfortable they find it. A pic or photo will simply show someone with neck stooped forward. The condition of Forward Head Posture (FHP) seems to be the new normal for a lot of people, according to the linked articles (and many others I've seen), so many will have no issue with the Kia Picanto (and many other cars) front headrests/restraints.

I don't understand the comment about trousers either, normally they start at a 28 inch wait.
The point of principle being that designers/manufacturers of stuff respond to changes in society, such as the emergence of different (often unhealthy) body shapes and postures, so trying to find a 32" waist with 33-34" inside leg is getting difficult. Note that most trousers I've recently tried on have a waist measurement far greater than that stated on the label so finding a genuine 32" waist in the desired leg length is tricky.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wasn't saying that this isn't an issue, but when I use the seats I have a decent gap between my head and the head restraint. A picture paints a thousand words, and being able to see an example of the issue would be helpful as there are so many variables in seat adjustment.

As for the trousers, it's always been the same, one shops 32 is another's 30.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A

Couple of photos: first is with headrest/restraint fully back, second is fully forward. I've adjusted the seats many times during cleaning so I can't say if this is the exact backrest incline I have when driving (which I've estimated to be around 20 - 25 degrees).

There's no sign of damage or abuse so the headrest/restraint is probably as Kia intended, unfortunately.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The head restraints don't look as if they have been messed about with at all.

I noticed your head restraints are much higher than I have them, which must mean you are taller than my modest 5 foot 6. I wonder if height makes a difference with different parts of the back being supported by different areas of the seat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts