Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had the picanto 1 3 months now and have noticed it wont cruise at 30-35 mph in 4th gear i always have to drop down to 3rd ?

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's because it is a small engine that needs high revs to get some momentum, you will notice it more on slight hilss etc

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's the same problem that saves you about 10mpg or more when doing 45-50mpg.

·
Registered
911 Posts
colinG said:
Ive had the picanto 1 3 months now and have noticed it wont cruise at 30-35 mph in 4th gear i always have to drop down to 3rd ?
I f you were talking about 5th gear that might be fairly normal but I wouldn't expect that in 4th gear

Do you notice a lack of power at any other speeds or anything out of the usual with the idle etc.?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Have you called KIA to check if it might be the crankshaft pully bolt fault?
Loss of power = highly likely...

0800-77-57-77 ask if you car was checked under the factorycampaign and if not why not?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dustyjoe said:
I thought that was a problem on the old model, not a 3 month old car
I was assuming that by saying Picanto 1 for 3 months he means he's got the first model of the Picanto which has been owned for 3 months?

If it's only 3 months old then it should be at the dealers....

·
Registered
543 Posts
I can only assume its a new picanto too being only 3 months . Sounds like it could be a case of multiple things wrong. If it is a new one I would take it back asap and complain

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think its just the way the gear ratios are. When i change up, i notice that it labours a little and sometimes i need to change down. I got used to it now and found if your change gear at higher revs it is much better, as stated in a few reviews i have seen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone right to make things clear ,i bought a new shape piacto 1 in sept its done 2000 miles and the problem is like i said it wont cruise very good in 4th at 35 mph.
Now
my problem is not starting very good on cold mornings? took it back to dealers they say cant find anything? waited till next cold morning and guess what taking 4 or 5 attempts to start/ fed up now

·
Registered
911 Posts
Dustyjoe said:
There seems to be a lot of kia dealers who cant find anything wrong with the cars they specalise in
To be fair, that may well be true for all marques but I know where you are coming from ;)

·
Registered
324 Posts
My Picanto 1.0 1 Air goes smoothly in 4th at 30 mph and higher. I wonder if your problem is related to fuel? There's another thread relating to Shell Fuelsave and cold starting problems (which you mention you're also suffering). I use BP 95 mostly, and BP 99 every 3rd or 4th tank full. I haven't had any cold starting problems. Let us know what you find out...

·
Registered
15 Posts
colinG said:
Hi everyone right to make things clear ,i bought a new shape piacto 1 in sept its done 2000 miles and the problem is like i said it wont cruise very good in 4th at 35 mph.
Now
my problem is not starting very good on cold mornings? took it back to dealers they say cant find anything? waited till next cold morning and guess what taking 4 or 5 attempts to start/ fed up now
Hi Colin, have you had 3 cylinder engines before ?.
I have had two Smarts and a Citroen C1 and now have a Picanto 1 all with 3 cylinder 1.0 litre engines.
They do take a bit of getting used to because a low rpm ( under 2000 ) a three cylinder is not very smooth, it sounds like it is labouring when in fact it isn't provided you are not expecting it to climb a huge hill at 30 in 4th.
My Picanto is quite happy at 30 in 4th ( 1600 rpm ) on the flat. Try prodding the throttle a little and it pulls quite strongly. If it were labouring then it wouldn't pull at all.
If you have a look at Citroen and Smart's forums you will see similar posts, the Smart forum is especially amusing regarding fuel consumption, pages and pages of disgruntled owners. Me included

·
Registered
911 Posts
I drove a little Toyota Aygo in the Czech Republic a few years back and found it a very nippy little car - and the 3 cylinder has a great engine note to boot! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had a similer problem, hears my story.I have an kia picanto se regesterd on the 29 03 2005. my mum bought it for me as i have helth problems and was comfertable for my back and i fell in love with this littel orange car. My Mum wantid to get me another car but i now regret talking her into getting this on
The dealer, not a kia one, put it through the mot for me befor i picked it up in Augaust 2010, when i picked it up i noticed the malfunction indecator came on, so i phoned him when i got home. he then took it back to his local garage where he takes all his cars then the same thing happend when i picked it up and he then put it back in the garage and since then no light.
almost a year of having the car and have had nothing but problems driving it. it passed it's mot and had a full service but its got worse,. I have replaced spark plugs, leads and a new battery. I was told that no fault can be found and that as all other things have been changed or looked at then it is possible it has something to do with the crankshaft as it is known problem with the picanto.
Hear are the problems i have with it. I have to put my foot on the clutch to get it to start as the reves dont rize, then when driving in 3rd gear and the revs drop to 2000 the car starts to shake vilentley untill i put my foot on the clutch lightley to make them rise. now the car looses power or stalls. I have seen others with problems with this model and am now very worred any help gratfull as i still love this car Thankyou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts