Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time buyer here looking at used 2017 and later Picantos. Seems to be the best value within my price range. I shall be using the car for just the rare trip to work on the motorway once or twice a month since I'm mostly working from home (45miles each way).

I'm currently looking at the GT line due to the nicer aesthetics however I cannot make my mind up on the engine or the trim.

I was wondering that owners can advise on 1.2L or 1.0Turbo engine. I'm don't have experience with car intricacies to know what's what.

Also I'm not sure the GT line S is worth it over the normal GT line. The only main things I can see is -
  1. Sat Nav. My experience with car sat navs is negative which google maps seems to be the superior/reliable choice most of the time. Picanto users seem to share similar experience.
  2. Heated seats and wheels. Pretty sure Air con can compensate
  3. Manual Aircon rather than automatic. Nice to have but nothing catastrophic.
  4. Cruise control/speed limiter. Not sure how much difference this makes. advice would be good.
  5. No parking sensor but surely the rear camera makes this point moot?
Any advice/guidance from experienced drivers would be well appreciated!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can't comment on the 1.2l my bother in law has one but not spoke to him since he got it new a few months back. You can have my thoughts if you like. ! We were to buy the 21 Picanto GT-line GDI Turbo and as such test drove a 2 month old my20 demo (it has the two round exhaust pipes) Where we live is hilly and has no speed limit out of town which affects what you drive here to a degree when considering joining the traffic flow.
As you know the turbo has 99hp the 1.2 84hp, I enjoyed the drive of the turbo pulls from lower down than I thought it would, it handles well with the wider lower profile tyres, bit buzy but gets a pace on if you give it some throttle. here I wouldn't want less power than it has.

We wanted the reversing sensors ( I think you may find they are std on the pre my21) the camera is great for say backing into a parking bay, or showing a car has slotted in behind as you intended to reverse, but not a replacement for the sensors as the camera does not see the closer to the bumper or to the sides/rear quarters it's viw starts a little way from the very rear, hence you could back into a lower object or a post close to the rear quarter that you would not see in the camera.

On discovering they are not available even as an extra on the 21my GT line (it says they are but I can assure you they are not avail) we cancelled the one we had ordered, as the 21 also only has 4 seats instead of the previous 5 seats and the sports pedals have gone to plain rubber, hardly the end of the world but it costs £900 more than the outgoing one.We looked at the GT-line "S" for the same reason as you, but I don't even have an I phone, the stop start etc is a waste of space IMO, heated seats and wheel nice not 100% necessary but leather is colder than cloth trim. I think the S also has some other feature for your phone and may have wireless charging depending on the year. Also (pre 21) had a sunroof std it appears. The pre 21 has 5 seats remember think I mentioned that though haha.

The Picanto 3 has the extra sensors etc but only available now with the 66hp non turbo as the 1.2l has been dropped from the range.

IMO and it's only just that a 2019/20 Gt-line Gdi turbo or S are great value with the 1.2l coming a close second if you wouldn't miss the extra power, second hand I didn't see the S was that dearer although a lot are the turbo and were far dearer new than a non turbo or 1.2l, second hand if you could grab the S I think it would tick all the boxes, the Gt line would too, the Turbo is dearer on insurance but worth checking maybe it was the GT bit that put it up.

Worth considering the 3 as less likely to have been bought by a speed merchant bit like the old Ghia compared the XR3 brigade, We ended up with a nearly new Stonic as it has 118hp although heavier a bigger car 5 seats and parking sensors, ironically no camera, the Kia models are all over the place with spec unless you buy the top of the range it's a mixed bag of odd bits it has or hasn't got. Good luck hunting, you could always ask if anyone has one coming up for sale one here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've a GT line S turbo and I love it. It's so good to drive, excellent for overtaking. You'll feel the benefit of that for motorway driving, especially joining the carriageway..

I love all the toys! And I use them every day. The heated seats and sterring wheel especially. Very nice on a cold morning!

Not had much use from the sunroof as I only bought the car in September but i love the fact its there. Not had a sunroof in a car for donkeys. It'll get used soon enough!

My car was basically the best Picanto version available. You'll never regret getting the best spec 👍

·
Registered
141 Posts
My wife's GT Line has reversing sensors as well as a camera.
It would be far better with automatic wipers though.

Reactions: RamTengri

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. The more info, the better

My wife's GT Line has reversing sensors as well as a camera.
It would be far better with automatic wipers though.
Hmm, this is surprising. GT line doesn't seem to be officially spec'd with parking sensors but this does arouse curiosity (if they aren't aftermarket parts)

·
Registered
203 Posts

Hmm, this is surprising. GT line doesn't seem to be officially spec'd with parking sensors but this does arouse curiosity (if they aren't aftermarket parts)
They have removed them for the my21 facelift together with the sports pedals centre rear seat belt and head rest. The S loses the pedals, centre seat belt/headrest and sunroof. from what I could determine. (re parking sensors= no Kia option to add them at present)

·
Registered
143 Posts

My 2017 1.2l GT Line didn't have sensors or camera, but come on why do you need them, you can park that car on a dime without aids,

if i was to get another i would go "S" and t-gdi, the 1.2L was raspy and accelerated awesome when the CVVT kicked in but the turbo is so good, and the "S" gives you the heated seats and wheel which i love as an option in my first edition Rio t-gdi

·
Registered
47 Posts
GTLine-S turbo is a fabulous little car, you will regret it if you get the 1.2 it doesn’t GO when you press the peddle. Picanto is my wife’s car and she loves it (me too) her favourite bits are heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Reactions: Nickyboy

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've added a tuning box to my turbo, it now puts out approx 130bhp. Cheap and very effective upgrade. No chance of that on a naturally aspirated engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a 2018 Picanto 3 auto (4-speed) and whilst it's a nice smooth drive, it's certainly not the quickest car.

My partner recently got a new Stonic T-GDi auto (7-speed) and its 1 litre turbo engine is noticeably quicker and more responsive than my 1.25 litre N/A engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts