Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off to look at a 2020 Ceed SW Phev tomorrow.

How are ANY Phev owners finding their PHEV's?
What sort of MPG are your getting in the real world?
If it's suitable I will be having a wall charger installed, as most of my trips are sub 30 miles, so within EV range (all being well)
If you do a lot of short trips and have EV mode selected for these, have you had any ICE issues with lack of use? Or do you just leave it to Hybrid or Auto mode and let it figure it out itself.

Having watched this, which TBH was like sucking eggs.... Totally obvious really.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #2

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4
Missing Equipment?馃槀

Apparently, it's metallic paint option. Premium option...

Only found out as I asked about another car they have which had ME on the end. So wondered if it was a pre release demo option and they had the "Missing Equipment" options 馃槀

Think I prefer your option :)

Reactions: Phil in Wales

Registered
I have a late '20 top of the range ceed sportswagon PHEV and it's not as good as I'd hoped...but I'm coming 'down' after 5 years driving a merc c350e..so I guess it all depends on your expectations. One of the biggest missed opportunities is that it doesn't have a heatpump so that means you can't remote heat it (yes, first world problem, i know) but it also means the ICE has to kick-in to provide heating so you can't always force it into pure electric mode (which i could on my merc). If you're in UK and it's a BIK driven decision, it's still a great consideration imo

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
To solve 1st world issue. You use heated seats/steering wheel & a coat.

That is what came out of my research into PHEV's & getting the best MPG you can.

Registered
To solve 1st world issue. You use heated seats/steering wheel & a coat.

That is what came out of my research into PHEV's & getting the best MPG you can.
yes, I do...but with a heatpump you can pre-heat on electric, drive AND heat on electric which achieves an infinite MPG. Experience based on 5+years of PHEV and 2 years of HEV ownership :)

to your original question, I charge when i can on public chargers (and would charge at office if it was open). I'm currently averaging 5.2ltr/100km's..you'll need to do the mpg calculation, sorry.
with the Kia, it's easiest/best to leave it in auto mode unless you're going to switch off AC/heating

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
I charge when i can on public chargers (and would charge at office if it was open). I'm currently averaging 5.2ltr/100km's..you'll need to do the mpg calculation, sorry.
with the Kia, it's easiest/best to leave it in auto mode unless you're going to switch off AC/heating
54.32 British MPG = Pretty OK, Sadly Kia do not state any...

Seen a u-tube where a guy did a test on the ceed SW PHEV and it cost more to use a public charger than it did in petrol for the same trip.
But guess that depends on how much you pay per charge.
Think his figures are about 7:45

Registered
54.32 British MPG = Pretty OK, Sadly Kia do not state any...

Seen a u-tube where a guy did a test on the ceed SW PHEV and it cost more to use a public charger than it did in petrol for the same trip.
But guess that depends on how much you pay per charge.
Think his figures are about 7:45
yes, Tesla Bjorn knows what he's talking about (watched many of his video's before ordering an E-niro, but eventually cancelling for the Ceed)...but he as referring specifically to FAST chargers, rather than a normal street or home charger. The Ceed can't fast charge so there's no point in trying to use a fast charger, normal charge takes about 3 hours

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #10
How does cost of a normal street charger work out compared to petrol?

I know that home charging is going to be cheaper & any chargers such as Aldi that are free are going to be good value.

Registered
How does cost of a normal street charger work out compared to petrol?

I know that home charging is going to be cheaper & any chargers such as Aldi that are free are going to be good value.
well, I'm in NL so i can't give any useful commentary for UK pricing. If i were in the office I'd be able to charge for free there but alas...

not sure if it's relevant...but if i were to be placing a new order today, then i'd take the Octavia PHEV which i believe to be an overall better package (with heatpump!) for just a little more expense.

cheers

Registered
2021 ceed sw phev
Hi all, 1st post

After a week {500+km} of owning a new Ceed SW Phev ... I have to say i am, on balance very happy with it.

Getting 40+ on EV every charge.

Getting accumulated 4.4l/100km (included 250km trip back from dealer) and dropping as the Engine has not barely been on since I got it home. Pure EV day to day.

Trip home on HEV was circa 5.5 I think (motorway). Happy with that too as coming from 2013 zafira tourer 2.0 D.

One major decision for me was that I live in middle of large town with many destinations within a 2km radius... Shops, work, resturaunts, in laws, retail, parks etc.

Hills and sea are 20 and 6km respectively.

We also have 2 x public 22kw chargers within 400m our home (26c per kWh) and await home unit to be installed (16c per kWh). Full charge c. 2hr 40min. Quick calc on current perf show 50% reduction on running costs using public chargers.

Point being 90% of travel can and will be EV for us now....especially under current situation (C19).

8.9kW is a small battery and will take dedication and discipline to keep charged. Really need home charger.

I noticed ICE kicks in at about 20/15% to manage remaining battery. So Q is why not full EV?

A. More expensive
B. When we do go for weekends I don't want to 'need' to be looking for charger
C. To be able to travel at drop of hat, say a trip to city for work, nearby town to collect, impromptu weekend etc

One last thing, on last leg of trip on motorway, I noticed driving in HEV at slightly below the speed limit of 120kmph, the battery was charging noticeably such that I arrived home with 1/3 battery. Conservative driving like this is {nay was} not my DNA but thanks to phev purchase, a COVID beard and possibly new sandles in the summer, I may just become 'one of those middle aged, slow phev drivers'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts