Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
I’ve had my phev for a month and it’s suddenly been starting the engine on start up rather than using a full battery. Why?
This is normal as the engine controls the heating. So if it is colder outside than the temp set. Then engine has to come on to heat car.
Unlike a full EV which uses main battery to heat the car.

It could also be part of the ECU that when temp drops to a certain point that the engine comes on to warm itself up as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve had my phev for a month and it’s suddenly been starting the engine on start up rather than using a full battery. Why?
Yes, it's got colder outside. you can stop it by pushing the "off" button on the heater control panel as soon as you switch on. In winter, for short journeys, I do this and just use the heated seats/steering wheel.

·
Registered
MY21 Niro 4 HEV, Pearl White
14 Posts
I've had my MY21 HEV for 4 months now and the petrol engine has always started up on first start up in the morning with everything switched off. It then runs on EV with the petrol engine charging the battery up to 12 MPH and then on petrol only. It runs on petrol for about a quarter a mile although it is now getting longer with the weather getting colder and it then it switches to electric. After it has warmed up it always starts up on electric. I just assumed that it was programmed to do this, to recharge the battery after start up and warm the engine from a standing start rather than calling for the engine to start at speed with a cold engine. I may be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
I've had my MY21 HEV for 4 months now and the petrol engine has always started up on first start up in the morning with everything switched off. It then runs on EV with the petrol engine charging the battery up to 12 MPH and then on petrol only. It runs on petrol for about a quarter a mile although it is now getting longer with the weather getting colder and it then it switches to electric. After it has warmed up it always starts up on electric. I just assumed that it was programmed to do this, to recharge the battery after start up and warm the engine from a standing start rather than calling for the engine to start at speed with a cold engine. I may be wrong.
It has to be very warm 20+ for mine to start and run in EV mode, so long as battery is over 50% full. Rest of the time the ICE starts straight away.
Turning internal temp down helps. But then again I would rather be warm & spend some money, than freeze and save a few pence. 🤷‍♂️ 😂

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,963 Posts
Same happened to me. It must be related to the outside temperature because I noticed it happened as soon as the outside temperature dropped.
maybe it starts the petrol engine to get the car warm on these cooler mornings! Only the eNiro has a heat pump (I think) to warm the car. My HEV relies on the petrol engine for heat in the car, and it's pretty quick to warm up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.