Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Ive just agreed a deal on a phev for collection next month.

Can I ask, what speed does it go to in electric only mode before the engine kicks in? Id love to get too and from work in electric only mode.

I live near to work but theres a stretch of road where I can get to 60mph….I assume the petrol engine will kick in before that?
cheers all.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento '3' PHEV
17 Posts
Hi,
Ive just agreed a deal on a phev for collection next month.

Can I ask, what speed does it go to in electric only mode before the engine kicks in? Id love to get too and from work in electric only mode.

I live near to work but theres a stretch of road where I can get to 60mph….I assume the petrol engine will kick in before that?
cheers all.
I've noticed it doesn't cut in the engine at a certain speed. If you are light on the accelerator it will stay in EV the whole time, but the engine will kick in if it needs some more oomph going up a hill for example or when the cabin air con needs some heating. So you will always use a little fuel even trundling around town in the winter to heat the cabin.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Not a Kia, its a Superb PHEV. Had it 14 months now and when in EV mode and driving in a normal manner and up to an indicated 75mph we have never had the ICE cut in. But once (and only once) during an overtake when the power meter went above 100% (presumably the 115PS the electric motor produces) the ICE did cut in.

As for cabin heating, on the Superb when you are in EV mode its sorted by the climate control using electric, no ICE required. Suppose the disadvantage is it reduces the range but it will still do about 25 miles on a cold winters day before the ICE cuts in, in summer that is about 35 miles.

Other than the way the heating functions I cannot see the Sorento being any different.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I believe the PHEV is EV only up to 88 mph. I certainly don't have any issues on motorways. As said, if you floor it then it will kick in with the engine and when cold, the engine is used to heat the cabin but it still drives in EV mode.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, just what I wanted to hear…….. although Im not hearing great things about the PHEVs towing ability. It will tow my caravan weight wise (just) but Im hearing that it feels pretty strained when towing without life in the battery.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The issue with towing will be that the power output of 261 is made up of a 90 hp electric motor and the little 4 cylinder 1.6. While they do combine to make the total output, you are still towing with the 1.6, rather than a 2.2 diesel for example.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue with towing will be that the power output of 261 is made up of a 90 hp electric motor and the little 4 cylinder 1.6. While they do combine to make the total output, you are still towing with the 1.6, rather than a 2.2 diesel for example.
Aye, its a nightmare. Im concerned about the long term value of diesels but it seems they are the only viable option for towing a caravan…..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts