Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have just purchased a Niro PHEV 2017/67 Plate and have read a lot online and in this forum about the 12v battery not lasting or keeping its charge for very long. Its the first weekend of owning the car and had a change to check the 12v battery using a Ctek MSX5 battery charger. The charger reports the battery as depleted and in need of charging.

The car was purchased from a dealership and was sat around for a couple of months during lockdown so I was expecting a drop in the battery level but to to this extent.

Can anyone advise if there any special process or a specific way of connecting a battery charger to a PHEV vehicle?

Many thanks.

Super Moderator
Looking in my handbook (does cover PHEV) 7-49 Well worth looking in handbook.
It says to remove battery from car, & use a trickle charger to top up.
You may have to reset some items.

Some PHEV owners may have tried other options.

Super Moderator
You may also find that the 12V battery charges while you are connected to the mains, as well as the EV battery.
Just found this.

Niro Hybrid & PHEV 鈥 Avoid turning on then off the engine until it has reached temperature.

Niro PHEV 鈥 If suitable battery charging equipment is available, charge the 12V battery at regular intervals (recommended every two weeks). Alternatively use an intelligent charger which can be connected permanently and will periodically monitor / maintain battery condition.
If you are not able to use a battery charger, start the engine and allow it to idle for 20 minutes every two weeks. Stay with the vehicle while doing this, and turn off all unnecessary electrical items, such as lights and heated screens.
Should you find your 12V battery has already discharged, recharge the battery using a battery charger if available. If you use a jump pack or jump leads to start the vehicle, refer to the Owner鈥檚 Manual for further guidance, paying particular attention to how and where to connect leads. The Intelligent Stop Go (ISG) system (where fitted) can be damaged if chargers or jump leads/packs are incorrectly connected.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi iooi, thanks for this information. The link you have sent through is very helpful. I had a look in the manual and thought it was a little odd that you would have to remove the battery to charge it.

I've asked the dealer to look into this but I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon.

Super Moderator
I think the remove battery is a general bit of advice, as some idiots would simply connect a charger to the battery and not disconnect anything, which on modern cars can cause all sorts of issues.
Unless you are using one of the battery conditioning chargers.

Registered
I had loads of trouble with mine, dealer kept blaming the dash cam. Unplugged it in the end still had issue they replaced the battery under duress and it solved the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your comments here. An update on my situation. I have left the battery on charge overnight. I am using a Ctek MSX 5.0 smart charger and this also ran the Recond option to recondition the battery. This ran for about 18 hours and completed stating that the battery was fine.
I have since retested the battery with a volt meter and found the battery to only be 12.2 volts. With the volt meter attached I was able to see the voltage drop every couple of seconds. Over 10-15 seconds the batter went from 12.20 to 12.12 volts.
I have managed to ask a friend who is a mechanic to test the battery tonight and I am expecting that he will say that the battery is faulty/dead. The dealership are offering to help but only want to recharge the battery.
Fingers crossed a few pictures of the battery being tested will be enough to prove to the dealership to replace the battery.

Registered
The 12V battery in my Niro goes down to minimum 11.2V overnight or over some days, in working mode it has 14.3V. My dash cam shows the voltage.

Super Moderator
What you have to watch with Kia's is there is a good drain on the battery for at least 5 mins. (stonic used to have a whistle from under bonnet and then went quiet) At that point none of the 12V accessory stuff would work.
So maybe try with meter again after shutting all the doors and waiting a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts