Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
Newbie here.Hoping to be a new sport age owner soon. I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of the 2.0l petrol sportage. I don't do enough miles to justify an oil burner. Any comments advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quite happy with mine.Had it 1 year now bought it because my milage is low 3000 per year so fuel cost not an issue but consumption is poor 25mpg although car only used for short trips.This is an accurate measurment not reading from fuel computer.No probs at all first service done for £123 insurance £214 fully comp.I would have another.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

I've actually got the 1.6 GDi 2; had it since October this year.

I'm getting 40 mpg so far with varied driving / speeds.

It's not as powerful as the 2 litre no doubt, but is pretty good and does not seem underpowered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm getting 26.4 average (again, true average - the trip computer is between 5% and 12% optimistic), over about 5000 miles, but that includes a thousand towing a caravan. Best I have had was 32. Fast if driven hard, more gear lever stirring of course than with my previous 2 cars, both diesels.

I took out the 3 year service plan, at about £16 a month. Used the AWD for the second time earlier this week, it got me through some icy, steep bits of road without problems (first time was dragging caravan out of a muddy field). Also glad of the ground clearance when I had to drive through some flooding yesterday.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't undestand how you can choose to use the AWD - it's operational at all times.

·
Registered
65 Posts
hi, have had my kx2 petrol for 3 months now and i'm very happy with it. i do about 7000 mls a year and think its the best choice for that sort of use. and you should be able to negotiate a discount that would be unlikely on the diesel. i get around 28- 32 onaverage and have returned near 40 on motorway trips (according to trip computer), but that's being verylight footed. ifyou push it itspretty nippy but i have flat spot between gear changes when you accelerate hard as it seems do some others with the 2ltr which is annoying (i'm hoping they come up with a fix before the 7years is up)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">
belgrave said:
I don't undestand how you can choose to use the AWD - it's operational at all times.
You can choose to use the AWD by pressing the 'Lock' button. Otherwise, the AWD is only operational when the car sees fit to engage it.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
140 Posts
That was my point - how could anyone know "how many times it had been used" ?
My understanding is that the lock button activates a different procedural operating system than the "Dynamax" AWD.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the automatic version gives a maximum 60:40 split in power front to rear, the lock gives 50:50. I think a light comes on if the auto AWD engages, but I've never seen it.

There are some sequences on UTube of Sportages playing in the snow - they were not particularly good on that surface in the auto mode, but totally sure-footed in lock

·
Registered
536 Posts
My understanding is its just a diff lock and it just keeps all 4 wheels going at the same speed regardless of traction. It's only to be used while going at slow speed else you damage gears/shafts ect as the inner wheel is retarded in speed and wears at the tires. So effectly stops one wheel not moving while the other side one spins up when stuck in the mud, snow ect

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
belgrave said:
That was my point - how could anyone know "how many times it had been used" ?
My understanding is that the lock button activates a different procedural operating system than the "Dynamax" AWD.

It does... it locks the the clutch pack at the end of the propshaft solid so there is a permanent four wheel drive with a 50/50 split of torque between the front and rear axles. Just like on an old Land Rover. The problem is that on hard surfaces this can result in wind up in the transmission which can, in turn, result in expensive breakages in the driveline. That is why the lock button only works at low speeds.

As I understand it, the "Dyanamax" system constantly monitors what each wheel is doing and compares it to what it thinks the rest of the vehicle is doing and it then regulates the drive to the rear axle by allowing the clutch pack to slip to varying degrees, although it never locks up completely to avoid the problem of wind up. Control is further enhanced by individually braking all wheels asnecessary.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does the 50:50 lock not drop out above 25mph?

Sure when I lost some traction pulling out of a junction last Feb the dash lit up for a short period..... Thought that was the AWD kicking in.

MPG dropped on my KX-2 2.0 Diesel since the weather turned cooler by about 1-2mpg. Geting 35mpg on country road runs. Not sure the extra cost of the car, and the diesel price above petrol is paying off but I think I save a little on Road Tax. (Not 100% on that fact!)

I like the car but not sure I would have another - if that makes sense?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts